How do we beat the Patriots?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BJXX, Oct 14, 2012.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

New England - 11 ...

No Holmes, without our "x" factor Joe McKnight, no emerging Bilial Powell and of course no option of putting Revis 'inside' on Welker. Not impossible but NE at home coming off a bad road loss, this will be tough, very tough. With Jets RB depth shot, I think NE will look to load up on wearing down Shonn Green, so I think it boils down to can the Jets OL pave the way for Green and shorten the game and reduce the number of Brady possessions? What does Johnathan Grimes bring? Can he pass protect? If he spells Green for a play or two does NE then throw the kitchen sick at Sanchez with an all-out run blitz, figuring a vanilla running play or even if it were a pass play, counting on Grimes' hesitation and uncertainty as to what his his blitz pickup responsibilities would be?

On defense, frankly I don't know what Rex' game plan will be--or what it should be. Will Pouha play? What's the 3-4/4-3 ratio? Obviously need a solid game from Mo Wilk, Coples & co to help open up any blitz/sack wrinkles Rex may put in. Another thought: (depending on how Rex chooses to play the coin flip), does Sparano try to get a quick one-up on NE with a Sanchez-Hill bomb on the first possession? On the other hand, with the Jets RB injuries (putting in more of a pass-oriented game plan?) and NE's safties spitting the bit during crunch time in Seattle, I'd think the NE secondary's marching orders will be to bend and not break by "keeping everything in front of them" and make Sanchez have to sustain long, 8-12 play type drives.

The Jets must keep it close because if not, you can bet that characterless stick-in-the-mud Belichick will look to run it up if given half a chance....mirthless scumbag that he is.

HAHA yourself. 1986: the very year the Patriots first appeared in a Super Bowl (January 26, 1986) :wink:

2. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

And the year before their last one! :smile:

Yes I discovered these fun sport message boards and it's fun to shoot the breeze. I like the ones where fans from many teams talk sports. Makes it colorful.

3. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Well it's not as if the Patriots can keep a lead... :eek:hmy: What's an acceptable lead for them? 4 TDS??

Sure 1986. The year of Squish the Fish. I actually started following and watching football in 1964. I grew up in Baltimore and was a rabid Baltimore Colts fan until they snuck out of town in 1984 or so. I had already been living in New England for about 5 years and it was an exciting team even if they did get crushed by the 86 Bears.

And yes I was on the wrong side of Super Bowl III. Terrible, terrible day... Still the worst day in my football life.

4. BJXX

BJXX New Member

No one has forgotten anything, this thread was to bat around ideas how to beat New England. Things change drastically from week to week in the NFL, but we all know we are big dogs in this game.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i think trying to run and control the game that way is a recipe for disaster. spikes and wilfork are beasts vs the run and they overall as a team do a great job in that respect. we could be down 2 or 3 scores real quick with that game plan

their pass defense is downright awful. we can get huge plays on them if we keep chandler jones in check. its really our only shot... to beat them through the air

6. BJXX

BJXX New Member

3rd and long (i.e. 6 or more) is what concerns me the most. Our ability to convert will have ramifications on our ability to keep the game close and keep the defense rested. I'm going to start a new thread on this. I'd like to hear some back and forth.

7. Jrsy2FLA

Jrsy2FLA Banned

Best way for the Jets to beat the Pats is to hire the Seahawks to play for you.

8. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

take out brady with a cheap shot

otherwise jets have no chance

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like overly excited and slightly intoxicated Toronto and/or Fish fans.
    :buffaloblows::finssuck:

10. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

The running game has to work. Princess Brady must have pressure on him. Good special teams. If they all click, throw in a dose of Lady Luck, and we win.

11. Jrsy2FLA

Jrsy2FLA Banned

Lol, nah just a sarcastic Jets Giants fan. I had to suffer growing up as a Mets fan too, sarcasm eases the tension of watching your team struggle.

#131 Jrsy2FLA, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  12. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Get up the middle pressure on Brady to force him out of his comfort zone,
    and run the ball successfully. Those are our only shots.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Hit Brady early on and don't stop on defense. The Jets need to get ahead early and control the clock.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Gotta win the turnover battle. There will be plays in the passing game, and the Jets have to execute when they get their chances. There can't be drops and Sanchez can't miss guys when their wide open.

On defense Welker and Gronk are going to be problems, big time...

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I dont see the JETS winning this. Pats have a running game now and the Jets wont be able to stop it. Neither will they be able to stop the Pats on 3rd downs.

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the addition of our 2 safeties this off season can help stop Gronk and Hernandez. We need some serious CB play on Lloyd and Welker though. And we can't let that little midget Danny Woodcock beat us on passes out of the backfield.

17. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

If the Jets can keep it a 2 possession game into the 2nd half they have a shot.
    Sanchez MUST put up 30+ on that pathetic secondary and forget "Ground and Pound".

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Start Tebow and bring in Sanchez for kneel down situations.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Point taken and I agree that NE's secondary is clearly their weak link, but at the same time I don't think we can sexy up the offense to the point of trying to match Brady shot-for-shot through the air. Any sort of running game I think is needed for if nothing else, then to keep the clock moving.

Arizona at NE in week #1 is a good example of playing to keep it close. The Cards only ran for a total of 102 yards on 32 carries (3.2 yd. av.), but even with Kolb throwing for just 140 yards (vs. Brady's 360 yds) those 32 running plays plays added up to 32 plays that Brady stood watching on the sidelines and partly the reason AZ was able to hang with New England, Gostkowski's last minute 42-yard choke notwithstanding.

Btw, it's also interesting to note that NE only got their last chance at a FG because of an Arizona fumble with a minute to go (after that AZ fumble and before the FG miss, Gronkowski got called for holding on what would've been a Woodhead 30 TD game winner). jmho.

20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think the real question is whether Sanchez can win a shoot out with Tom Brady. Sadly, the answer is no. It week be very hard to run this game. Our best shoot us big plays uh the passing game. We have to go down field early and often. If we can hit a few big ones, our running game may be a bit more effective than everyone things.