Jets are Projected to Draft 9th

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 1968jetsfan, Oct 7, 2012.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

One thing about predictions at this point, while 1/3 of the season is a decent baseline to predict the rest of the season off of, there are a few caveats. For example if Brady were go go down for the season the Patriots become a lot more beatable. Not saying I hope Brady goes down, just using that as an example of how things can change the predictive nature.

Buffalo is a team that really should be better on defense than they have been thus far. If that unit "gells" at some point then they become a whole lot tougher to beat, but it's a question of whether they put together stars that just don't compliment each others play style. And of course things can change. But the fact is that currently the Jets defense isn't a top 5 defense and the offense has been largely ignored for 3 seasons.

2. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Even if the Jets are picking "15-19", if there is a can't miss qb prospect available, you trade up and get him. You all saw what happened this season with all the draft trades. I think we should do that as well.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

didn't we do that in 2009 ? ;)

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

of course in a year where the jets may likely come out below .500, u have several teams also in the same pickle. as of today there are 9 teams with 1 or 0 wins after 5 weeks.

so the difference between a 5-11/6-10 record as far as drafting goes may mean 3-4 slots come april.

regardless, a top ten pick is highly possible in what appears to be a good draft, just like last year.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

we're currently at 11, which means there's an Elite prospect to be had

Manti Te'o
    Justin Hunter
    Sam Montgomery

all fill needs

I wanna pick in the top 5 this year, I love my team but we're in neutral going 90mph

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

If we drafted around 10-16, Te'o would be fucking awesome. Follow up in round two with Gio Bernard and then round 3 a WR or OLB... I would be very happy.

This weekend will be telling of where this team is headed. If we lose to the Colts, we could be looking at a top 5 draft spot, if not, we are probably between 10-16.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Manti Te'O in the 1st and Chase Thomas in the 2nd could help us go to hybrid 3-4/4-3 D, imagine

being able to throw out front sevens consisting of

Against the run

Wilkerson-Ellis-Coples
    Te'O-Harris-Davis-Thomas

Passing downs

Maybin-Wilkerson-Coples-Sapp
    Te'O-Davis-Thomas

Te'O and Thomas are good in coverage as well as Davis which helps us rush 4 and with our secondary........oh boy

I really think Te'O could play outside in our 3-4 depending on his arm length he's 6'2 255, Clay Matthews is 6'3 250 just for comparison not saying he's like Clay they're just built alike

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Maybin will probably not be on this team next year, sadly. He's pretty much useless when he's on the field and we might as well send out 10 guys. I really liked him heading into this year but he has been a major disappointment. Also, I wouldnt count on Sapp at all, if he cant get on the team when we only have 5 sacks on the year, thats saying something.

We most definitely have to address the passrusher this year within the 1st 3 rounds. Luckily for us, its a very deep class at OLB, along with RB.

9. 1968jetsfan

Just the weekly update here. It's a day early but the Monday night game at best will change the slot by 1 spot (I'm not sure if the Steelers would be ahead or behind us if they win, I think on initial figures they'd still be behind us, but I'm not certain on that)

Currently the Jets are at the #18 pick (my absolute biggest fear of where we'll wind up, just missing the playoffs and getting about the worst pick we can get without getting in to the playoffs. That might drop to #17 if the Steelers win, but like I said above I'm pretty sure the Steelers would still be below us.

10. 1968jetsfan

I was sniffing around the standings just now and according to ESPN playoff standings the Jets, if the season ended today, would be the #1 wildcard team. Whats funny about the current standings, and the season will not end this way I assure you, is that 3 of the six playoff teams currently would come from the AFC East and none of them would be above, or below, .500. only 3 teams in the AFC are currently over .500....

It won't end that way of course, but it's kind of a funny little quirk in the standings currently.

#30 1968jetsfan, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are going to win 8 games. Maybe 7, maybe 9 depending on how the breaks go, but it will take a major injury up the middle or a really bad decision on personnel to change that picture much.

They're going to wind up picking more or less where they picked this season, maybe 14 to 18 or so.

They're going to have the option of picking a developmental QB on that pick if they want. There are probably a couple of guys you could reasonably take in that range, depending on whether somebody falls out of the cluster up at the top.

I'd rather they not take somebody from the group available next year because none of them are particularly strong physical specimens and I think it is clear that the NFL is moving towards bigger mobile QB's as the franchise basis.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Normally I am in the camp of 'don't waste a first round pick on a RB', but this is a team that wants to be run-first and their scouts have proven over and over again that they simply suck at finding talent at RB in the mid and late rounds.

The Jets need to go offense in round one and it wouldn't break my heart to see them pick up a blue chip RB at all at this point.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would love any of those picks. throw Marcus Lattimore in there as well.

14. 1968jetsfan

Well with todays loss the Jets are currently at the #12 pick, #11 if the Lions win Monday night. This sucks to have the schedule we have remaining, of all the years to wind up with a soft schedule this isn't the one I'd pick to have it in.

There are only 3 games remaining that I believe our odds of winning are less than 50/50. The Patriots, the Seahawks and the Chargers, the chargers you never know if your going to face Jekyll or Hyde. that leaves six games that are 50/50 or better.

I think at this point 6 or 7 wins is where we'll wind up. The dolphins have been playing better and will want to make up for a game they blew to us earlier in the yar.

No way this team picks in the top 5 this year, most realistic high pick would probably be in the 9-12 range with a very good chance of winding up in the 13-17 range.

There is a small chance due to the weak schedule that we sneak in to the playoffs, then of course it's pick 20 or lower. But if I were a betting man, and I'm not, I'd lay my money on the 9-12 range +/- one spot.

15. 1968jetsfan

Weekly pointless update.
    Half way through the season the Jets are 3-5, pending the outcome of the Saints Denver game the Jets are currently at the #9 draft slot. If the Saints win tonight the Jets go to the #8 draft slot. Next week being a bye may see the slot go up or down depending on what the 3-4 teams do next week.

16. 1968jetsfan

In thinking about that the 2-5 teams may move the Jets up the draft board, I've not looked at their tie breakers.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Currently in 9th

Only teams in front of us I can see finishing with a better record are

Washington
    New Orleans
    Tennessee

I got us picking 7th, lucky #7 we find a key guy for our future

18. 1968jetsfan

The chiefs are pracitically a lock for the #1 pick next year, they are just a total train wreck. I mean they went 12 Quarters without scoring an offensive touchdown, and if I heard correctly they have not run any plays this season with a lead, 0. the one game they won was in overtime on a field goal. I mean I cannot remember a team this futile unless you go back to the, what was it 79 Buccaneers? Anyways, playing half a season and not having had the lead for even one single play has to be closing in on a record.

19. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Manti or Jarvis, Manti or Jarvis, Manti or Jarvis. I didn't think I would be reading through the draft forum this early in the season this year. I just hope we are in a position to draft Manti or Jarvis, obviously.

20. 1968jetsfan

The depressing update, currently I belive the jets to be the #8 or #9 pick at this point.

The 1-4 draft slots will be divided up between the Chiefs, the Jags, the Browns and the Panthers. the next tier of teams IMHO at this point are the Raiders, Jets, Bills, possibly the Redskins, I think the Eagles will go on enough of a run to push them in to the next tier. So basically, unless the jets surprise everyone and catch fire, Jets probably finish in the 5-9 pick range. But knowing the Jets they'll make sure they kill my enthusiam by first getting eliminated then going on enough of a winning streak to move in to the 14-18 pick range, where trade downs have less value :(

Not that I wanted to be rooting for a high draft pick this year. But that's the way i tlooks now.