Tipped passes at the line occur because...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Mason

Mason New Member

He batted the ball on a quick slant, get the hell outta here. JJ Watt is just a beast.

2. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

JJ Watt may be the best D lineman in the league. He's ridiculously quick and athletic.
    There's no shame in having him tip a pass. Sanchez has other issues he needs
    to worry about.

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Most good QBs throw with their eyes closed so this doesn't happen. I can't believe Sanchez can't do this.:rofl:

Seriously, a QB has to look at his target before he throws and tipped passes are a last minute reaction by the lineman.

It has more to do with Sanchez' height than his eyes.

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

To clarify- Mark locks in on a receiver, instead of looking the defense off.

5. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

A LOT of other issues, big issues.... like completing less than 50% of his passes, types of issues.

6. jetiron

jetiron New Member

Brady and Brees do a lot of look one way and quickly throw another direction. I don't see Sanchez doing that much so he probably telegraphs where he is going too often. I know it is easier said than done, and I agree that at the end of the day guys like Paul-Pierre of Giants and Watts with their active long defensive tentacles are going to be problems tipping balls against many QBs.

7. Longsuffering88

Yes I agree.

Tipped passes will happen, it's just Mark is not helping his cause by locking in.

8. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Mark always had a problem with locking on to one receiver. Always had, and at this rate, seems he always will, have that problem.

9. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

its tough to make gold out of crap...Sanchez didnt play well, but you still need to consider the talent he's dealing with. They have zero running game folks. Nothing. Its the worst it has ever been in this friggin team's history. They have zero threats out of the backfield.

10. Longsuffering88

Agree. He is good when play action passing (running game needed for that)

11. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

The biggest indictment against this GM and coaching staff are our inability
    to run, and stop the run.
    Ground and pound is a joke.
    What real GM or coach would believe that a team with this O line,
    and Shonn Greene as a lead back, would be a dominant running team?
    On defense, what GM or coach would believe that a unit with linebackers this slow
    could effectively stop the run?

12. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

truth man...tannenbaum has to GTFO. Its perfectly clear now. The biggest problem here though is that who knows if Woody is willing to part ways with him and stay out of the dealings of the football team. I hope he is, because this team needs an entire different way of evaluating and acquiring talent, its not only the QB position.

13. Ted

Ted Member

There are several reasons passes are tipped. As mentioned, staring at targets, not locking up DL, playing against a beast like Watt, not finding throwing lanes is another. This particular play, Sanchez was staring at his target so Watt, who was not engaged, slid to his right and got his arms up when Sanchez let it fly. Honestly, looking at the replay I am not sure he significantly altered the flight of the ball but the bottom line is, Sanchez locked in and the OL did a bad job on that play engaging Watt.

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The red zone tip was a quick slant...no reading of eyes, being locked in, watts studies film, know merely is the #1 and on snap immediately slid that way and got his hand out not up. Guy just reacted to the play incredibly fast. Didn't read eyes just guessed slant and was right.

The fact that it was an issue and they didn't run more shutting or 7 step drops was surprising. Screen passes should have been used more...avoid the tip by using their aggressiveness abasing them. Ran 1 for 19 yards and didn't try another.

The lack of a check down back option in the passing game like LT is a killer on offense. Thought McKnight would get opportunities but they just ran him straight ahead which made no sense.

15. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Yes they can fall on someone other than the QB, namely the O Lineman, especially on short passes. They are supposed to be taught to engage the DL, and try to knock them down somewhat.. Just another frustrating game, in a very frustrating (more than usual for the JETS) season, so far.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

JJ Watt does this to everyone. he's the best defensive player in the game right now. he won the game for Houston.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Pump fake

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

so on those quick hitters where the WR is wide open he should pump fake?

19. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

1 tipped ball, ok. 2 tipped balls for 2 possible TDs, then there is an issue. Sanchez should have moved him off the spot with a pump fake. Also Sanchez HAS TO hit that long throw to Cromartie for a TD. Instead he slows him down and leads him outside. As always, Sanchez has big problem hitting receivers in stride, especially on crossing routes - hes always late.

20. reverseapachemaster

Hell yeah every player should pump fake. We get 14 extra points on the board. It's the team's cheat code to invoke Tebow's god mode play.

Unfortunately Tebow still only gets 2 yards per run.