2012 Week 5 - New York Jets vs. Houston Texans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The Jets need to stop shooting themselves in the foot if they want to win. Problem is, they haven't stopped the last 3 games.

There has been chances to make plays and they haven't on both sides of the ball. Cro had an INT in Pitt, TD. Jets had numerous sack opportunites. Sanchez missed Holmes. Hill droppeed on etc.

Against MIA, the debacle in the RZ, etc.

Against SF, 2-3 drives were killed by Sanchez making dumb plays. 2 were killed by fumbles off injuries.

If they find a way to execute and stop shooting themselves in the foot, good.

Also would like the offense to get a first down on their first drive then run a no huddle offense. Have Hill, Kerley, Keller, Powell, Reuland in and start hurrying up. Try to get the offense in sync. Let them run the plays they are most familiar with. We are probably going to adjust our offense anyways since our best WR is gone and now nobody demands double coverage or even rolled coverage

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan New Member

Sorry to hear that Holmes is out, must suck to have your best (only) offensive weapon gone for the year.

As for this game, I can't see how the Jets move the ball or score against the Texans defense.

I don't expect a huge blow out, Kubiak tends to play conservatively against teams we should beat so we don't beat ourselves.

The one thing that makes me hesitate is that up till last year we had a habit of failing on the big stage, this team seems to be above that but that doubt still nags.

3. Munich1860

Munich1860 New Member

Dont mess with Texas will be sooooo true next week :-(

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'm not drinking this "best team in the league" koolaid. They've beaten Miami, Jacksonville and Tennessee (and two of them at home). Let's calm down a little.
    I think they're a good, solid team ... but I bet they lose at least 4 of their last 12 games this year ... and only that few because their division is a complete joke.

There are at least 6 or 7 teams I think are better than the Texans, and they'll be playing 3 of them in the next 5 weeks.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

when not if Sanchez shits the bed against Houston, will Rex make the change at QB?

6. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

So let's just totally discredit/ignore their road victory in Denver.

K.

7. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I can't see it happening until Week 8 or 10. I think Rex sticks with Sanchez until the team is at 2-5, 2-6 or 3-5, whichever happens first. Indianapolis is where Sanchez can keep his job until after the Bye. If he wins, he keeps it. If he loses, Miami or Seattle will be the start of Tebow Time.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan New Member

I don't think I would claim to be the best team in the league, we certainly deserve to be in th discussion though. Denver is our best win obviously, and as for the others you can only beat who you have on the schedule and we have thoroughly dominated those teams who are worse than us.

Not sure what relevence that has to the discussion about playing the Jets. If form and quality counts for anything, the Jets have no chance, because they are in the conversation for worst team in the league.

We won't know how good the Texans are until after we play the other big boys like the Ravens and Patriots.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Wwho are the 6 or 7 that you think are better? Keep in mind the Texans have one of the best D lines AND O lines in football. They have the best RB tandom in the league...they have a massive pash rush...a good solid QB and an all pro receiver

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm dying to see a list of 6 or 7 teams clearly better than the Texans.

Also, you forgot to mention them smashing Denver, in Denver. I'm not saying they are a dominant team, but they are clearly one of the best teams in the NFL, and arguably, have one of the 2 or 3 most balanced rosters in the league. They are one of the few teams that does just about everything well, but probably isn't "great" in any one area. (Although, you could definitely argue that they have a "Great" running game)

11. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan New Member

As a Texans fan I wouldn't rush to say we have one of the best OLines or DLines in football. We are struggling a bit with losing our right side OL, with the new guys being patchy at best and one of those guys going down injured leaving a rookie to start.

On the DLine, we struggle to plug gaps and control the run. Watt is a beast obviously, Smith makes some plays occasionally but Cody is merely filler.

Can't debate the running game, Foster and Tate are money even if Foster is having a little bit of a down year (projects to over 1500 yards stlll, but seems to be not quite the same).

Pass rush is solid, especially with Watt dominating, Barwin is a real dissappointment this year and James at ILB is a liability.

Our passing game got a boost from some rookies and second year guys stepping up, first time we can really expect impact from our receivers behind Johnson and Walter.

Best thing about this team compared to previous iterations is that we have solid DB depth in every position, this also helps the pass rush effectiveness.

The biggest struggle we have is on special teams. Holiday is a freakishly fast returner who owned preseason but has shown us NADA in the regular season so far. Graham our kicker has a noodle leg and I don't trust him to win a close one for us, thankfully we haven't had one of those yet.

12. TexansFan

TexansFan Banned

top 5 O-Line and those rushing yards have come in blowouts.

O-Line is down from last year but getting better and still top-5.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Holliday was a stud in college. I've seen Shayne Graham miss too many big kicks to trust him that much. Jets need to have a big special teams game to win this game. Either get a score, force a turnover, or get a couple big returns.

Jets special teams has been awful since week 1. Needs to be better.

The Texans' OL took a step back this year without Winston from what I can tell. It's still good, but it's not dominant. Kind of like the Jets from 2009 to late 2010.

And J.J. Watt is a stud, but the Jets just had to deal with Aldon Smith and others. They didn't play great by any stretch, but the offensive line was far from our biggest problem vs SF.

14. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan New Member

Shall we argue amongst ourselves?

With Jones in for Caldwell it probably will improve in the run game at least.

15. TexansFan

TexansFan Banned

Winston was an over rated windbag. Mike Brisiel was the guard and when he went down last year the entire line play suffered. Texans wanted Mike Brisiel back but were outbid, they cut Winston.In their scheme, guards are way more important than tackles.

16. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

What kind of system focuses on the guards?

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We held Gore to 67 yards last week. I believe Arian Foster is better. It will be a tough task stopping him, but that will have to be the main focal point on D. For offense, we are going to need the young uns to step up! Powell should get more carries. We NEED to take deep shots. And no Tebow except as decoy or for punt fakes. It's doable. Lets go back into Bills game mode.

Jets 24
    Texans 17

18. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan New Member

The drop from Briesel to Caldwell probably is more noticeable than the drop off from Winston to Newton.

Our system is really more about the system than the personnel, its about working together rather than dominating as individuals. In saying that we have two REALLY good lineman in Myers and Brown.

19. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

That makes more sense.

20. TexansFan

TexansFan Banned

The guard needs to do more combination blocks, disengage, reengage, rotate blocks etc. The tackle just needs to react to what the guard is doing and seal the outside on run plays. The guard needs to work with blockers on both sides.

Obviously in passing plays the tackle is facing the speed rushers, which was a massive weakness in Winston's game with his T-Rex arms. Cameron Wake ate his lunch.

The falloff when they lost Mike is just overwhelming in both run blocking and protection. He came back for the playoffs and Arian ran like a madman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.