Why is suggesting Tebow Sacrilege?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by RMorin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

No matter how much logic and actual real world numbers you use the militant anti tebow cult (and it is a cult ) will refuse to acknowledge it.

I laugh when Tebow fans are called zealots by people that would make the extremism of the Taliban look weak.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont get it either. it seems like some people would rather us lose without tebow then have even a small shred of success with him. any responses to statistical analysis, video, etc seem to just be things like "LOL look at his throwing motion" or "didnt read but he sucks"

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The defense is average?????? You are out of your mind. The Jets defense is bad. They are 31st in the NFL against the run, giving up a mind blowing 178 yards a game. They have surrendered the most rushing TDs in the NFL. Opponents rush for 4.9yards a carry, which is 30th in the NFL. Average???? That is awful. If a defense can't stop the run, it can't stop anything. No team giving up 178 yards on the ground at 5 yards a clip is close to average. Throw in that the Jets have 5 sacks - only two teams have less - and the pass rush stinks also.

The running game is also piss poor. The Jets are gaining 3.2 yards a carry, which is 31st in the NFL. They have 1 rushing TD.

The receivers were not fine before Hill and Holmes went down. They played well against the Bills, but so is everybody in the NFL. They could not get open and started dropping multiple passes a game against Pittsburgh and it continued in weeks three and four.

No QB in the NFL could win with this team. I am not saying Sanchez has been playing well, but he is clearly being made the scapegoat for a team that is completely lacking in all areas. Sanchez may not be the kind of QB that can lift this team, but please watch the games and tell me how he is supposed to move the ball and score points with the team they put in front of him and a defense that can't get off the field and has the ball shoved down its throat week after week???

4. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Despite Tebow having a lower passer rating. Wow what a convincing argument. :rolleyes: All it tells me is both QB have bad stats and then you proceed to split hairs which is worse than the other.

#184 Jon_Snow, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

You're assuming that somehow / somewhere TiT was an outstanding NFL caliber WR/TE/RB/FB etc. Yet you don't have a shred of evidence to prove otherwise other than the drivel, "he's an athlete" (yeah, most NFL players are) "he's a beast", "he's a winner", "he likes turtles". Give me a break, if he were superman, he'd be playing RT instead of Howard. The way you people act its as if he's better than Keller, Kerley, Powell, Sanchez and Conner, and he's never really played 4 of the 5 positions of the people i just mentioned. People (Jet fans) never surprise me.:rofl:

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i have a hard time believe this team couldnt win with brady/rogers. pats had what the 31st ranked defense last year?

7. RMorin

RMorin Member

What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying that completion percentage is singularly most important? Because Tebow beats him in every other statistical category ...

8. Mason

Mason New Member

Thank you for saying this. :beer:

9. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Tebow running Spread Option opens up the running game and being that it's the Option, it takes yet another defender away from the RB. Additionally, if there's no outlet/checkdown, who do you want scrambling/running the ball ? Sanchez ? Or Tebow ? The goal in football is to move the chains and put points on the board. Doesn't matter if you do it passing, running, or a mix of the two.

Wait, you mean you pay $105 for tickets just to watch Sanchez line up behind center to run a "pro style" offense ? Silly me, I would have thought that people spent money to watch the Jets win frakking football games.

Did it piss you off in 2009 when the Jets ran the football more than Denver ran it last year ?

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The other way things are affected is the "chunk yardage" theory -- the idea that you do all of your short range stuff with the run game ( and not the quick, short passes that become popular after Bill Wash changed the game), and throw the ball with more "air yards" down the field ( because the defense habitually crowds the line of scrimmage when you run).

Tebow is the classic "chunk yardage" passer -- a throwback, for sure. But nothing ever goes out of style forever in the game. Big Ben's style should be a model for Tebow's career.

12. JaxSuzy

JaxSuzy Banned

That's the truth. Fox called the most conservative and safe plays he could all game long until the final do or die.

13. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

I have no idea how you can watch this team and blame the defense for not getting off the field. In the last three games, we've averaged 10 points per game. Pittsburgh scored 27 points, Miami scored 20 points in 4 quarters plus overtime, and -- not including the 6-yard touchdown drive off Santonio's fumble -- we allowed San Francisco to score 10 points through the first three quarters. The defense is not getting torched. There's only so much they can do. The offense doesn't do anything and they're left out to dry.

The rushing stats are skewed by the competition we've played. In four games, we've played the #3, #4, and #5 rushing teams in the NFL. San Francisco ran for 245 yards against us because we couldn't score a single point. They never had to pass. They were playing from in front all game long. We blew Buffalo out but they still ran for 195 yards, because they can't pass. That's 440 rushing yards in two blowouts, where the amount of rushing yards allowed had no relevance to the actual outcome of the game. In the two games that were actually competitive, we allowed 250 yards rushing total, in 8 quarters plus OT -- that's 125 per contest. That's not bad. And regardless, it's totally selective to point at rushing yards and sacks as if that's the measure of a defense. We're 21st in yards allowed and 22nd in points allowed even despite having a terrible offense that is among the worst in the NFL in yards per game and in the bottom third in turnovers per game.

The Jets rank 24th in the NFL in passes dropped. Dropped passes are an excuse. We drop fewer than average. Santonio has been an established, successful WR for his entire career, and Hill was a second round draft pick. Tannehill is killing Sanchez with Brian Hartline and Davone Bess as his best receivers, and he's a rookie.

This team is not that bad -- or at least they weren't before Santonio went down. They're obviously not a Super Bowl contender no matter who is playing QB, but Sanchez makes everything look so much worse than it is. He is literally the worst starting QB in the NFL right now, even though there are a ton of rookies starting on mediocre teams with dubious skill position talent. It is not anyone else's fault. It's Sanchez's fault.

Like I said, put a top 10 QB on this team and we'd make the playoffs. Good quarterbacks make their WRs look good. Sanchez consistently makes everyone around him look bad. Marques Colston was a friggin' seventh round rookie that was forced to start because Stallworth got traded, and Drew Brees turned him into a 1000 yard receiver in his first season. Wes Welker had more receiving yards in his first season with Brady than he did in the first 3 years of his career combined. In four seasons with Big Ben, Santonio had 3800 yards receiving. Last year with Sanchez, he had 650.

14. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

No, but when the bus driver is leaned over in the seat drooling and defecating on himself, the bus and those on it are better off without him.

Denver got rid of Tebow because of Elway. Elway, Namath, and most other traditional qb's hate Tebow because he doesn't play like them. They view him as a lesser qb, because they don't value the different skillset he has as being as value as their skillset. The facts are that a proper Tebow-style power/option type offense hasn't been tried in the NFL, and that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

#194 Frenbar, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. reverseapachemaster

lulz never been an option offense in the NFL?

What exactly is Tebow's skill set? He isn't a great passer. He isn't a particularly great runner, either. The argument is made that he would only be good in a spread option. That means he has limited skills at best or at worst he is beyond the reach of his skills as a beneficiary of the peter principle. Early in this thread when I asked about how he can be considered a great runner on this team when his carries have been a handful of yards I was told he's only good running when the play breaks down. So again, either a limited skill set or a lack of skill for the NFL.

You can point to all the stats from last season you like but he's definitely not showing any great skill this year.

16. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

People who talk about Tebow's lack of production this year are either trolling or just ignorant. When you stick a guy in to run one play every third series what do you expect? Jets got crushed 34-0 and Sanchez looked like utter trash, how much worse could it be to give him a try? The guy won two national championships in college and had an 8-5 record in his only year as a starter, in a system which was haphazardly designed after the starting qb couldn't go and they plugged Tebow in. What do we have to lose by letting Tebow start and play 3 or 4 games? What are we going to lose 48-0 instead of 34-0?

17. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I am not sure what your referring to but Tebow's career passer rating is 75.1 and Mark Sanchez's is 73.2

18. ItsTime

ItsTime Banned

Many here who laughed at the idea of Tebow ever starting for the Jets up until just a short time ago, aren't laughing so loud anymore.

19. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

I dont see how Tebow can help. Our team is not even built like denver with receivers that get open or able to run the ball effectively. shit we cant even run the wildcat effectively

20. reverseapachemaster

For a guy who "knows how to win" and "knows how to make plays happen" I expect a lot more than two or three yards per carry. We already have a roster of RBs who do that. We can find lots of people to do the same for less money. He hasn't shown great skill running here. He also hasn't shown great skill passing, either. He looked terrible throwing during the preseason, grounding balls to perfectly open receivers. I don't care what kind of offensive scheme Tebow needs to win; if you can't throw a pass to a wide open receiver from a stationary position with no pressure, you can't be the better option at QB.

What he did elsewhere has no bearing on what he does with the team is on now.