Was Tom Brady tipping New England's plays?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 19, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://arizonasports.com/40/1576243/Was-Tom-Brady-tipping-New-Englands-plays

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. They should have kept their mouths shut though, now they will probably start running more rushing plays out of the shotgun formation and throws with Brady under centre just to throw everyone off.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yeah but i find it hard to believe belichek would allow that tendency to occur.

4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Why would they care? They don't play the Pats for another four years. They probably wanted to float this so they changed their philosophy before they play all the other NFC West teams lol.

I do find it hard to believe nobody else figured this out in like three years of them running this monster two-TE offense.

6. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

This seems more like tendencies than tipping plays. So they pass 83% of the time out of shotgun? That would seem to be about right for any team. Where is the number of times Brady lined up under center and passed?

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Brady's a hasbeen. I can't wait until our D line comes to say hello.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea his 5200 yards and 40 TD's last year were garbage!!

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

So they became predictable and they weren't executing well so it didn't mean they were just repeating a working play.

10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

thats just disgusting.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Are you telling me Shotgun is a run play design? There is a reason running from shotgun is not really effective. Unless you are in read-option style (inside read/outside read, etc, the kind Tebow does well.) running from shotgun is not a staple play. Just a few tricks up your sleeves to keep the defenses honest.

smh.

12. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I hope this is the case. It would be much simpler to correct our run/pass ratio out of different formations than it would be to deal with the fact that our "explosive" offense simply can't execute. My gut feeling tells me it's a little more complicated though.

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Here's a crazy thought, maybe the Cards D is better than people thought.

They have won 9 of their last 11 games going back to last year.

The Pats offense certainly wasn't great, but throwing from the shotgun and running from under center is kinda how it usually goes isn't it? I don't see tipping plays.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Unbelievable that the Genius would let such a thing happen.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Pass from gun sure but always running from under center is tipping a little.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's exactly what I tought, blow the secret so when they play San Fran, Seattle and St Louis the change in play design has already been made so these teams will not be able to pick up the same tendencies.

My thoughts on the Pats offense is they are using Welker much less which makes a huge difference and also Josh Mcdaniels is still adjusting his game plans for a 2 TE set which he did not use before.

17. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Its probably just the fact that their offensive line sucks cock, and theyre TERRIFIED of having Brady get hurt, since theyd go from a superbowl contender, to a team that wouldnt win 5 games.

Could be interesting to watch if the Pats are so afraid for Bradys life that they rarely have him throw from under center.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was surprised to see that they ran the ball 8 times out of the shotgun. That's a huge commitment to variability and the run from that formation.

19. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Wow. Maybe Billy boy thought he was so smart he'd dumb it down because no one would think he could be that dumb. Crazy like a fox.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like the Pats ALWAYS ran when Brady was under center OR ALWAYS passed when he was in the shotgun. The actual numbers below sound like enough runs from the gun to keep the D honest and enough passing from under center also.

I think Jaworski's article on the Cards and Falcons confusing Manning and Brady holds alot more water.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...ow-defenses-confused-peyton-manning-tom-brady

According to Horton, the Cardinals’ staff picked up on the Patriots' offensive tendencies, especially after Aaron Hernandez left the game with an injury. Specifically, Arizona looked at Brady’s positioning to determine if the Patriots would pass or run.

So, was Horton correct? After Hernandez was injured with 7:03 left in the first quarter, the Patriots called a pass play on 37 of 46 snaps (80.4 percent) with Brady in shotgun. When Brady was under center, the Patriots called a run on 18 of 29 snaps (62.1 percent).

#20 CJLang, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012