Elephant in the room: How soon till Tebow is the starter?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by davecrazy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Why don't I point it out ? Because I don't think he has looked that bad, and I'll challenge you to show that he has. He looked fine against the Bengals last week, save for the decision on the interception.

2. Bannon

Bannon New Member

No, I'm not blaming Hill. I'm saying the throw was not all that bad. Hill drifted, and wasn't in a position to just plant and catch the ball.

Hill was thinking "Maybe he'll loft it all the way into the endzone." Tebow said he was thinking he wasn't able to locate the safety, so he kind of just put it in an open spot.

It was the throw I was talking about. Not seeing him sooner, yeah, I guess you could ding Tebow for not spotting him sooner.

The highlight is being used as evidence that Tebow had a bad game, and particularly that drive was pretty good.

3. Bannon

Bannon New Member

This is how things get so polarizing -- the storyline is "Tebow played bad." This despite the fact the he came in and led a drive down the field with multiple first downs (in a game where first downs had been all but non-existent).

So somebody points that out, and you get all furious like Tebow can't be criticizied. And he can -- he's gotten killed over that game Saturday. You can rest easy -- he was lambasted for that game, worse than Sanchez for sure.

But here's the thing, here's how it grows . . . . somebody not following Tebow that closely up until now sees that game and thinks "That was terrible Tebow? That's the guy some people say can't play QB in the NFL? I've seen bad Tebow?" And they're thinking it wasn't all that bad, and they're thinking they saw some good things, and they begin to think "You know, maybe people lose their minds and go overboard on this guy, both to the good and bad."

And the germ of a new Tebow fan is planted. It does no more good to heap more criticism than is warranted than it does to heap more praise than is warranted.

The Hill throw was not the end of the world -- if the QB puts that ball right on the goal line, you'd like to think that it ends up caught by a receiver who's just drifting with his hand up.

4. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

While other teams our scoring TD's, we are pulling teeth just to try to get a first down. Ughh, somethings never change.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I actually thought outsode of the one throw Sanchez played pretty well under the circumstances and the INT was more of a great play by the defender than a terrible pass. The pass was not good but not the worst I have seen. Sanchez has no time to throw and of course we had a million penalties to put us in bad spots but I don't look at scores in preseason games, it's about getting work in and staying healthy and I was pleased w/ mark's performance.

Wayne Hunter and the OL? that's another story, the health of the WRs and the OL are my only 2 concerns on this team right now.

6. nyjunc

who cares? it is preseason? are the Giants worried b/c their 1st team O kicked 2 FGs and needed penalties to get into FG range? of course not.

In 2006 our first time O didn't score a TD, I think they scored 3 or 6 ptd all preseason then week 1 they score 23 and the team wins. If this contonues into the reg season I'll be worried, right now it's silly to be worried.

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

It's almost like I'd be more worried if they were playing lights out. It seems to go the opposite way so often ( whatever happens in preseason, it goes the other way in the regular season).

8. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

At this point I'd say Week 6 vs Indianapolis, but maybe not until Week 8 vs. Miami or Week 10 @ Seattle.

Sooner would be better than later with this OL.

9. nyjunc

I am concerned about the OL, not worreid but concerned. I think people overvalue preseason games, a year ago the Giants 1st team O didn't score in preseason game 1, scored 10 in game 2, 3 in game 3. This was coming off a 25 INT season from Eli and missing postseason 2 straight years. Preseason is there to get work in, it doesn't matter if you score 40 a game or 3 a game as long as you get work in and come out healthy which so far we have.

10. catfish

catfish New Member

agreed, Eli had the worst performance of all of them Giants won't lose a wink of sleep, nobody panic yet. They do need to fix RT though

11. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I'm sorry, but Tebow did not make that play happen. Hill was wide open while Tebow was still in the pocket, but since he bailed and started to run outside he ended up having to try and make the throw while on the run.

If he had stayed in the pocket - and yes, there actually was one on this particular play - he could have stepped into his throw and hit a wide open Hill for an easy touchdown. Instead, the same issues of old for Tebow came up again, and bailed on the play and ran too early.

12. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Pretty much. It's not a good play by Tebow on that one no matter how you look at it. I'd score it a D just for that reason.

The only encouragement is that it wasn't that horrible of a throw; you can see why it happened. Hill needs to either keep running the route, or sit down and dig for a come back. It's one of two things -- they teach receivers to be crisp. Floating and drifting makes it hard to pick a decisive spot for the throw.

Plus, besides drifting unnecessarily in the pocket, Tebow also failed to stop and make the throw. That was a case where he didn't need to keep running right. When you've got time, set your feet.

It's always the footwork. If you look, the feet are what cause most of Tebow's missed throws.

13. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I thought Turner was a little lazy on that one, he could have reached out and got that ball at itss furthest point instead of waiting for it to come to him, he could have at least made it an incomplete instead of a 6, I just felt a more experienced WR would have been a little more aggressive on that ball...

14. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Let's talk about the elephant in the room here. Tim Tebow's role won't be QB1.

15. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

Nope...The DB that was on Hill broke off when Tebow left the pocket, anticipating Tebow to run...Tebow leaving the pocket is what springed Hill open.

Not that it matters though...

16. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Hill had the dude beat regardless,even if he had stuck with Hill and Hill hadnt been WIDE open it would still have been an easy routine TD.

17. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

Yeah...regardless it was a bad throw.

However, after watching the replay a few times, Hill still had ample time to adjust to the underthrow and complete the pass.

Tebow badly underthrew it, and Hill failed to adjust to it despite having much time to do so. Neither should get a pass on that play IMO, as it was a play that both a NFL QB and a NFL WR should be able to make.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's the real elephant in the room at this point: Tim Tebow has a huge opportunity here with Sanchez and the first team offense struggling badly and yet he is just sucking badly against 2nd and 3rd stringers on the opposing defense.

He played most of the game in the first game and a full half in the second game and he looks terrible. He looks confused by the vanilla fronts the defenses have thrown up. He's been unable to execute the very vanilla play sets the Jets have been running. As a mobile QB he's been getting hit a fair amount.

Seriously, if this wasn't Tim Tebow we're talking about his performances would have gotten him cut on Tuesday. He doesn't look anything like an NFL QB and in not looking that way the Jets offense is blowing chunks around him.

He looked pretty bad in Denver last year but he managed to pull out some games late with miracle drives. Based on what we're seeing out of him now that's all he has to offer: the possibility of a miracle drive late after he's screwed up the offense all game.

This is the Jets we're talking about so there's no chance they cut him at this point but honestly I think he's more destructive to the Jets chances this year than Wayne Hunter. The two of them working in tandem are going to destabilize the QB position and then Tebow is going to get put in and be the worst QB the Jets have started since Brooks Bollinger. Hell, he may be worse than Bollinger.

#98 Br4d, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  19. catsigater

catsigater New Member

There's really no arguing with this.

And yet...

Skeptics were saying almost the exact same things this point, last year.

Wouldn't be at all shocked to see him turn in a huge performance game 4.

#99 catsigater, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think this just shows it's a Rorschach test -- I don't see how you could look at the same game I watched and come away with that impression. He came and led the team right down the field on his first drive, going 4 for 5 on passing. And some of those passes were clutch, on the money first down passes.

It got rougher as the game went on into the 4th quarter, but the pass pro was part of that, and the incompletions were relatively tame.

Now, after I've posted this response, don't move the goalposts back to a discussion of whether Sanchez is better than Tebow -- you said Tebow sucked bad enough Saturday to be cut Tuesday. I think that is a ridiculous statement on its face.