Jets [do not trade] for Panthers OT Jeff Otah *CUT BY PANTHERS*

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mantana Soss, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Yay. There goes the Scotty McKnight pick.

2. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Fitzpatrick sucks take your argument elsewhere. I have a problem with jackasses who arent NYJETS fans trolling on another teams board.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Love this move.

Clearly, Carolina was done with Otah. Free agent after the year, not part of their future plans. Rumor is he's soft and has little work ethic and he gets hurt a lot.

But when he's been on the field, he's been good. Very good. And he's a perfect fit at right tackle. With his talent, hopefully a change of scenery will benefit him.

People saying the Wayne Hunter era is over (just saw a headline saying that) are wrong. The Jets traded a conditional 7th rounder for this guy, they have nothing invested in him. If Otah works hard and becomes the starter, great. But they're not just going to hand him the job.

This is a classic Mike Tannenbaum move. Give up a small price for a very talented player that his old team is selling low on. If it works out, it's a steal. If it doesn't, then you wasted very little except some development time for younger players.

People pencilling him in as the starting right tackle need to slow down a bit. I think there's a very good chance that he does play RT this year, but he needs to show he can pick up the system, that he's in shape, that he's willing to work hard, that he's healthy, and that he's still got it after his injuries.

If he works hard and stays healthy, he could be a Pro Bowl caliber RT if all goes well. I don't expect that, but to get that kind of upside at right tackle, the biggest need on the field, you have to take it.

I don't think it's necessarily an indictment on Hunter/Ducasse/Howard/etc. We all know that right tackle is an issue. It's no secret. If they gave up a high pick for Otah out of desperation, then sure. But this is Tannenbaum recognizing that RT can be upgraded, and the risk/reward factor is absolutely there for this move.

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

So glad we got a RT. Sparano is paying dividends already.

I hope we get rid of both Hunter and King Ugly this year. Give Griffin the backup slot.

5. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Great Trade...Low risk high reward bye bye Wanye Hunter

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

stellar, now what are the conditions?

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Wanye Kest?

Hunter is on the team this year. His contract is guaranteed. Would be very, very surprised if he wasn't. After this year, who knows. Hunter is fine as a backup, best backup in the league, right, Rex?

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

No, this is the kind of move that YOU will focus on every negative comment made by the media. If the Pats made this trade, YOU would focus on every report that the media points to the upside.

I read these same types of quotes when the Pats gambled and lost with Fat Albert last year. Everybody in the media DIDN'T praise the move, in fact many panned it and said it wouldn't work. But YOU focused solely on the media members who thought it was a great move.

Already, there have been a couple of articles calling this move a good one, but I'm sure you won't see any of them. You'll be focused on the negative ones and of course how the poor Jets are just treated so badly. :sad:

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

This may not be the best scenario (a banged up starter), but even if he's not 100% healthy, if he can get on the field he's an upgrade.

Why is it the guys who suck, never get injured?

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

heh - from thejetsblog a while ago:

On Chad Pennington before he was cut to bring in Brett Favre:
    On Kerry Rhodes right before they traded him:
    On Leon Washington right before they traded him:
    On Thomas Jones before they cut him:
    On offensive coordinator Brain Schottenheimer right before they “parted ways”:

-------------
    and now ...
    O-line coach Dave DeGuglielmo's pro-Hunter rant in May?

11. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

^ I think all teams do this...its just the way the business works. I also dont think they know this stuff is going to happen ahead of time even if its just days before it happens, these things are spur of the moment.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are sorely mistaken, son.

Repeat. Fitzpatrick is a BACKUP quarterback.

I say again. Fitzpatrick is a BACKUP quarterback.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Absolutely love this trade! If he can stay healthy the Jets may have the best OL in football.

14. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

This was the greatest news I could've heard about the jets today.... only 18 more days until first preseason game and i can't wait! like someone said so much for talking up Wayne hunter so much lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

15. icecreamtruck

icecreamtruck Member

Agreed with those that point out that this is a contract year. What better time to take a chance on a guy who could be a potential road grader than his contract year? If he doesn't work out, you might have lost a seventh rounder, but if he's motivated in a contract year, this could be a steal. I'm leaning towards the latter.

16. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

im not bills fan, but i dont think u are giving Fitzpatrick enough credit...do i think hes an upper tier qb? NO, but dont knock the man he deserves his job. hes better then atleast 5 other teams starters.

17. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

you make a good point on the contract year, this could absolutely work to our benefit.

18. CHK

CHK Banned

He was a great run blocker and adequate in pass protection. The health concerns can not be overstated. Honestly, if he makes it out of week 1 against Mario Williams I will be surprised.

19. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

and if he makes it through week 1 not allowing single sack against mario williams u will be surpised...

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We run a lot against the Bills. I expect to see a lot of Tebow and the run game. I doubt we would leave him on an island against Mario atleast not often. If he doesn't allow a sack I wouldn't be all that surprised. Its not like Mario Williams averages anywhere near a sack a game or anything.