Tebow will make the Jets 12-4 or better THIS season

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by jb1095, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Ummm ... highest rated at what???? Passing? Running? Scoring? Praising Jesus? That was the question that I asked.

And who did this rating exactly? It sure wasn't the pro scouts in the scouting services.

2. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

You're another one who is really clueless about football.

Cval is exactly right in his post above. The only reason that Tebow had success as a college QB was his ability to run the ball, and even that was greatly aided by the fact that his college team had a great HC and was loaded with talent.

3. Bannon

Bannon New Member

He's talking about the passer rating stat. Not a subjective rating. It's a statistic they calculate mathematically. Since you're clearly new at football, you'll one day be more familiar with such things. (The NFL calculates it one way, and college calculates it another. The college passer rating number is calculated differently and is higher).

#223 Bannon, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Highest NCAA Div I QB passer rating.

5. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

No, he was not. His passing stats were ridiculous. If he was running most of the time, he could not have achieved the numbers he produced.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

passing in college is very different than passing in the NFL which he clearly has a ton of work to do before he becomes a competent passer in this league.

7. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

You're kind of late into the conversation. We were discussing whether Tebow is a "Running QB", not whether he will the same passing success he did in college. I think we are all aware of the obvious statement you just made.

8. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Sigh, /headshake. For someone who lives in Jacksonville, you sure don't know much about Tebow nor his history at Florida.

But that's ok, cause you have guys here like me who will happily correct you.

"Tebow was primarily a runner in college" you say ? Really ?

Hmmm, let's see.

Mosty

With that understanding established, let's look at Tebow's stats while a starter at Florida.

Passing:

Code:
    Year 	Cmp 	Att 	Pct 	Yds 	Y/A 	AY/A 	TD 	Int 	Rate
    2007	234	[B][COLOR="Red"]350[/COLOR][/B]	66.90	3286	9.40	10.40	32	6	172.50
    2008	192	[B][COLOR="Red"]298[/COLOR][/B]	64.40	2746	9.20	10.60	30	4	172.40
    2009	213	[B][COLOR="Red"]314[/COLOR][/B]	67.80	2895	9.20	9.80	21	5	164.20
    Totals	639	[B][COLOR="Red"]962[/COLOR][/B]	66.37	8927	9.27	10.27	83	15	169.70

Rushing:

Code:
    Year 	Att 	Yds 	Avg 	TD 
    2007	[COLOR="Red"][B]210	[/B][/COLOR]895	4.3	23
    2008	[COLOR="Red"][B]176	[/B][/COLOR]673	3.8	12
    2009	[COLOR="Red"][B]217	[/B][/COLOR]910	4.2	14
    Totals	[COLOR="Red"][B]692	[/B][/COLOR]2947	4.3	57

Perhaps it would be easier for you if I put the numbers side by side ? I'll also go ahead and show the percentages as well.

Code:
    Year 	 Pass Atts 	Rush Atts 	Total Atts    % Pass	% Rush
    2007	  350	          210	          560	      62.50%	37.50%
    2008	  298	          176	          474	      62.87%	37.13%
    2009	  314	          217	          531	      59.13%	40.87%
    Totals	  962	          603	         1565	      61.47%	38.53%

In plain English, in his three years as a starter, he passed the ball more often that he ran it. Over the course of those three years, he threw the ball 962 times and ran it 603 times, for a pass/run % of 61.47% to 38.53%

Now, please go ahead and explain to us all how a QB who passed the ball 61+.47% and ran it 38.5% was "mostly" a running QB.

9. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

As per ROTOWORLD

Matt Williamson of ESPN's Scouts Inc. believes Tim Tebow will take over as the Jets starting quarterback by mid-season.
    Williamson has been a Tebow detractor in the past but believes he's a better option than Mark Sanchez in a must-win scenario. "My prediction is he will see immediate time as a backup, maybe 15-20 snaps a game from the start," Williamson said. "Then, I think Rex Ryan will look at it more and more like Tebow gives the Jets the better chance to win." Tebow may well be a better use of a roster spot than Sanchez in deeper leagues because he's a top-10 fantasy QB if/when he takes the reins.

10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Only way I could agree with that is if the Jets went to Spread Option or if Tebow's passing consistency improved quite a bit since last year.

11. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I don't know about the taking over part, but he's going to make great improvements, like virtually every other quarterback to come into the league. The notion that he's some basket case that can't get his mechanics right is a cherished myth by his detractors.

The more "normal" path for a QB is to come into the league a little overmatched mechanically, and to get better. Even Graham Harrell is starting to come into his own up in Green Bay as a backup.

12. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

I'm no Sanchez fan, but if Ryan/Sparano do this "from the start", then they are setting Sanchez up to fail. They are virtually guaranteeing it.

15-20 snaps a game is about 1/4 to 1/3 the offensive snaps. NO "backup QB" does that in the NFL. He stands on the sidelines with a clipboard and maybe a headset. Maybe he holds for FGs and PATs. The backup QB's job is to be ready to come in for the starter, NOT to get the starter out of his rhythm. The backup QB only gets into action behind center when the starter gets hurt or the game is already won or lost big.

13. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Tebow has been in the league two years, and his mechanics have NOT significantly improved yet. When, exactly, do these improvements kick in?

The real more "normal" path for a QB is to come into the league as a rookie and get sent home. For first round QBs, it's to come into the league and fail.

14. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

I'm not sure where you got your stats, but I got mine from Wikipedia, and Tebow pass atts/total plays % was 58%. When you compare Tebow's pass/run % to other recent QBs, it's clear than he ran much more than did other recent QBs except for Cam Newton (51%), another running QB.That makes him a running QB. Even your 61/39 ratio makes him a running QB when you look at the ratios of bonafide college passing QBs:

Andrew Luck (2012) passed the ball about 81% in his college career.
    Sam Bradford (2010) passed the ball about 92% in his college career.
    Matthew Stafford (2009) passed the ball about 87% in his college career.

15. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Yes, they have. He is dramatically better.

And when you rework your mechanics, it causes a little bit of a dip in your ability to play naturally, to play without thinking. So there's a rough patch when you're doing some serious work on mechanics.

16. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

His mechanics are absolutely improving. Look at some of the latest footage of him...I will post links as soon as I hit 50

17. reverseapachemaster

So we're deciding real football based on fantasy football?

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

has anyone ever thought of this?

the jets had a severe meltdown and still ended up 8-8

theres enough talent combined with a good coaching staff for this team to get 10-12 wins every yr.

if they improve over 8-8 it will be because of improved team chemistry and a long awaited youth movement on defense. not to mention the return of a deep threat across from holmes.

not because Tebow touched LaRon Landry.

I love Tebows attitude and mentality and what he brings to a team as a FOOTBALL PLAYER. still dont see him as a franchise qb, never have. like ive always said if anyone has the work ethic to prove me wrong its Tebow. but i dont plan on eating that crow.

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I will give Tebow credit for this. I saw short clips of Jets practice this spring and Tebow looked to have a quicker and tighter throwing motion.

the thing is ive been reading stories about this since his final year at UF and he reverts back to his habits come game day. time will tell

20. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I'm a Tebow fan, want the kid to earn a starting job and prove all the doubters wrong, but I really can't say you need to worry about eating any crow. We'll just have to see how it plays out.