Weight loss tips for men

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by deerow84, Jul 16, 2012.

1. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Coming from a guy that lost a lot of weight I agree with this completely

The key is finding something that works that you don't mind doing and make that a part of your daily routine

2. MURDR

MURDR Banned

And I'll let you do the rest of the research, but 16/8 intermittent fasting basically means that you fast for 16 hours a day, and consume all your calories (including drinks, outside of water) in that 8-hour window. It works, believe me, I constantly lose/gain weight for sports and I have to do it while losing bodyfat and keeping/gaining strength.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

soxx is actually right. Weight loss is simply a mathematical equation. The average person has no clue the amount of calories in food which is why they have a surplus of unburned calories which ultimately turn into fat.

Walking on an incline is low stress and it burns a good amount of calories. If you walk on an incline for an hour at 11% incline, depending on speed, you should burn around 800 cals.

Makes you think about eating that next burger from Wendy's when you have to spend an hour to get rid of it.

MyFitnessPal and Livestrong are good apps for your smart phone to help you track calories.

Even if you are eating out you can just search for the generic meal (i.e. ceasar salad with grilled chicken) and get an idea for the average of calories you are about to eat.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Lean Ground Turkey
    Any Fish
    Liquid Egg Whites

should be your best friends if you are serious.

Lean Ground Turkey is an excellent substitute for beef in any meal.

_____________________-

My work does a "Biggest Loser" contest 2x a year. I coached one of my co-workers and he lost 30 pounds in a month adhering to my dietary guidelines.

Granted he was 6'6" and 362lbs, those kind of numbers fly off people with bad dietary habits when they start eating right.

#24 GQMartin, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

1 pound a week max is only if youre semi lean or only slightly overweight.

If youre a fat slob 1 pound a week is trash.

If youre 250 + you could easily do 2-3 pounds a week and if youre a real big big boy you could be doing well over 5.

And oxyelite is another trash gimicy thermogenic. If people want to truly go thermogenics (which I dont recommend) ECA stack is the only way to go. Go out and buy some caffeine (or just drink black coffee) then get ephedrine (bronkaid) from any pharmacy (its OTC/legal). Stack it with some baby aspirin (optional) so your heart doesnt explode and youre good to go.

There is nothing out there (otc/legal) that is proven to be more effective. So all the gimmicky products are just bullshit. They might be effective, but I doubt nearly as effective as the ECA stack

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

7. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Just my opinion, but if you're looking to get rid of fat, and get some muscle on, I wouldn't recommend that program at all. I dunno about you, but I'd rather have muscle than just skin and bone.

OP, I'd recommend doing something like Starting Strength 5 x 5 and do A LOT of jump roping every day. The more calories you burn, the more you eat. 1500 calories won't cut it if you're working out hard at the gym every day. More like 2500, give or take a few hundred depending on lots of factors.

8. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Nice to see leangains getting some love. Fantastic resource and Martin Berkham is brilliant. (think I spelled that right)

Also if you're looking for good reading on anything fat loss/physiology/muscle gain related I would recommend bodyrecomposition.com. Lyle McDonald knows his shit.

9. MURDR

MURDR Banned

^Agreed. In addition, I'd also ask around bodybuilding.com. If you don't mind lots of trolls, go the Misc section, but if you don't have a heart of steel, stay away from the Misc section.

That's all that matters. Yeah, it's expensive, but there's a reason it's considered the best thermogenic out there by many top bodybuilders and athletes.

10. silent scream

Hah no kidding. I would recommend that everyone at some point in their life spend a couple weeks logging everything that they eat in one of these online calorie counters.

When you see it all laid out for you, you really get a sense of where the calories are adding up and what types of food are doing it.

11. silent scream

I heard they were pulling Bronkaid & Primatine off the shelves. I haven't done an EC stack in a year of so - would be a shame if that's true though.

Have you bought Bronkaid or Primatine lately?

12. MURDR

MURDR Banned

^OEP is going to be pulled soon as well. I already stocked up though, so I'm good.

13. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

This is probably only successful in that the time restraints cause you to consume less calories overall.

It probably minimizes your basal metabolic rate, though.

A high protein, moderate fat, as close to zero carb as possible diet, eating around 1500 calories total/day, while a bit tough to maintain, virtually guarantees 2-3 pound per week sustained weight loss.

Weight loss plans that net less than 2 pounds lost per week are something like 4-5 times more likely to fail, because the results do not match the effort.

14. silent scream

Hah yeah, I remember we were talking about DMAA. Fucking ridiculous FDA doesn't know shit. same as with Ephedrine a few years ago.

Going to have to buy like 100 tubs of Jack3d one of these days.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm using myfitnesspal right now, I have it as an app on my phone. Seems to be a cool app and is pretty helpful so far.

16. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Well, with low-carb or no-carb diets, you'll probably gain a few pounds back immediately when you get back on with carbs. Plus, carbs provide energy. Lots of people have low-carb diets, I just personally don't.

As for the fasting, I don't remember all the terminology, but basically, by fasting for 16 hours, it burns a lot of excess fat, but 16 hours isn't long enough to go into starvation mode, so it won't eat away at your muscle. Really good for people who want to lose bodyfat, and many top BBers do it.

@silent Yup, literally just bought a few things of Jack3d about an hour ago, haha.

I love the beta-alanine feeling, the tingling, from Jack3d. It feels even better when I slip a pinch in my friend's drink, and he thinks he's dying :)

Cruel joke, but nonetheless hilarious.

17. Mantana Soss

I tried a just-DMAA supplement about a year ago, and it didn't do a damn thing for me.

I pushed it up to I believe 80mg and all it did was make me irritable.

18. silent scream

Excellent. As long as you keep it up and log everything & remain in a deficit the laws of physics will take care of the rest.

Best of luck, man.

19. Mantana Soss

Unless you're keeping your carbs low, your body keeps a 2-3 day supply of glucose energy on standby. I'm not saying for sure that it doesn't work, I'm just not sure why it would. I think you just end up eating less.

As for the no-carb diets, you store significantly less water weight. That reserve glucose isn't there, and the scale is artificially lower. Good idea to subtract about 5 pounds from total weight loss to determine actual, because those supplies will build right back up once you're off it. No carb works because if you don't have that glucose on standby, your body will burn stored fat almost independent of what you eat.

20. MURDR

MURDR Banned

I dunno, some people just don't feel it, I guess. Works for me.

But OP, whether you're a bodybuilder, an athlete, a powerlift, don't lift at all, or anything: I'd recommend that every single person take some fish oil, lecithin, and multivitamins every day. They make a HUGE difference, and if you don't believe me, get a blood test, start taking those three for about a month or two, take another, and compare.

I don't recommend everyone take all the shit I do (like creatine, ZMA, etc.), but those three are essential for a healthy lifestyle, IMO.