Coples has been killing it in camp so far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Jun 12, 2012.

1. jet setter

jet setter New Member

Lol at all u buffalo bitches

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about Ryan. i was talking about reports that Coples, spelled that way, was impressing in camp.

And then said IF he hit the ground running that would be great.

In short, your response was inapt.

3. chibucks

chibucks New Member

i'm excited to see what the revamped defensive line can bring us... sounds like we'll have those edge rushers (and sort of deep there too) that can bring the pressure that our defense thrives on without bringing in the blitzes... we'll get a better picture in a few months.

4. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Well, at least Nugent was a starter.:)

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

7. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Technically he said "first pick" and Nugent was their first pick. Besides, that was an incredibly stupid pick. We could have gotten Vincent Jackson or Frank Gore.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It doesn't matter who else was available, it was a ridiculously stupid pick because we took a kicker early in the 2nd round. I mean, I guess if the guy was some transcendent kicker who could nail 65 yard FG's at a 75% clip it might be OK, but that ain't happening.

9. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Agreed. There is only one kicker currently in the league that might have been worth a pick in the 2nd round.

The pick itself was over-reactionary and is an example as to why the Jets haven't made it to a Superbowl in 40-some years.

10. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I waited 3 pages for some Jet fan to say, but since none did, I have to.

PEOPLE, its shorts, T-shirts and NO contact. How can anyone not "shine" in that environment, especially unskilled players.

This is the time when teams install their offenses and defenses. Its a teaching time, NOT a competitive or critique time when coaching staffs are making roster judgments. Shorts and T-shirts. Nothing that happens here matters in the long run. I's during the 6 weeks of TC that matters.

MAYBE you can take heart in reports of Sanchez being sharp, and Hill looking smooth. They are skill players. But even then its no pads, no contact, and NOT what they will be experiencing during the season.

Hey, I'd say the same thing if reports were that Coples was unimpressive. It STILL wouldn't matter. What every team is doing during these mini camps IS NOT football. Its TEACHING TIME.

The last time the Pats had a guy who made a big impression in OTA's was Chad Jackson, and....that....didn't .....end ....well.

#50 patfanken, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

"Incredibly stupid" doesn't quite cut it - in terms of the magnitude or the aftereffect of it.

Yet another trademark Bradway Panic (TM) pick.

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

impressing in camp means next to nothing. lets see him do it on the field. still hate the pick. makes me think of dwayne robertson. guy with no motor and who takes plays off.

13. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

High hopes for the guy. Hope he proves all the doubters wrong.

14. That really was a garbage pick. The Jets made the mistake of panicking couple days before the draft as they were in no man's land at their first round spot. Heath Miller was linked to the Jets for months..he visited the Jets about a week before draft day. Soon after there were reports that Miller was failing alot of team's physicals..you combine that info w/ what the Jets ended up doing & you come to the conclussion that Miller failed the Jets medical, hence they panicked & settled for trading down/ filling their TE need via Doug Jolley. Jolley was completely worthless. He was average as a reciever and couldn't block.

The Nugent pick I think was one of those "Story book" picks that the Jets are known for. Trying to out think themselves. Doug Brien had just cost the team a trip to the AFC championship game..so what better way to sell roster improvement to the fans than draft the class's best kicker? In Nugent's defense he was arguably the best kicking prospect since Janikowski. He was a team captain at Ohio State, routinely hit game winning 50+ yard kicks & supposively had a crazy pre-draft workout that many head coaches including John Gruden attended.

15. Shells and shorts are just that..shells and shorts. However, although the contact is limited in team drill's, the advantage is typically to the O-line as any extended action at the LOS is blown dead as to protect the QB. Additionally OL tend to get away w/ more holding due to the circumstances of no pads to defend the bull rush & inside moves. Many on here including myself have followed rookie development for a long time. We've seen Failures like Gholston & Dorian Boose show flashes as well as more successful prospects like John Abraham,Shaun Ellis & Bryant Thomas. Although they all had flashes in the shell & shorts environment...I have NEVER heard of any rookie DL come through here and do what he's reportedly doing. 4+ Sacks every practice. That consistently dominant even for the circumstances.

Does it need to be taken in stride? Absolutely. Could he fizzle out the day pads come on?Of course. But this is unchartered territory for a rookie DL & there is some reason to be excited.

16. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

He's got a chip on his shoulder in a good way. Definitely wants to prove that he should have been a top five pick.

He's got all the physical gifts, that's for sure.

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Never was more wrong about a player I saw play alot then Nugent. Thought the guy was the best kicker I ever saw in College. Loved the pick. Then the guy was drafted by the Jet and that was the end of that.

18. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

Yep. Completely agree

19. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Kurt, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but let me ask you. In a shorts and T-shirt (no shells), no contact practices, what exactly is the OT supposed to do to stop Coples rush??? .....and attributing "sack totals" under these conditions is ludicrous.

What the OTA's, including the mini camp is supposed to do is give the coaches a chance to install the basic offensive and defensive concepts. The only "evaluation" that's going on is coaches determining how much information the players can absorb and retain, both as individuals and as a team.

Its all teaching and very little evaluating going on. All the hype is being generated by non-professional media types who are giving anecdotal assessments based on their amateur opinions in a non-competitive environment. Of course they HAVE to do this just to justify their pay checks.

All this stuff is kind of meaningless. Even for those OT's that Coples is supposedly abusing. Does Coples' "success" mean that they suck? (cause that's one way to look at it). Of course not, because its a no contact no pads practices.

BOTTOM LINE: As fans with another 6 weeks before TC's open, we eat up all the stuff that's written, just because there is nothing else to do. So its natural we over react to any info we get from the OTA's positive OR negative.

If when TC starts and reports come out that Coples is "tearing it up" and is "virtually unblockable" THEN you will have cause to be VERY excited, and I will have cause to fear. :wink: Until that time lets get through the next 6 weeks without getting football withdrawal symptoms.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

K-k-k-k-k-ken, just out of curiousity, are you such a dick when Pats fans post optimistic things about rookies on Patriots' boards?