Dan Marino: "Proven" Mark Sanchez will remain the Jets' starter

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by VanderbiltJets, Apr 23, 2012.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lol I never said he hasn't had more doubters or haters than the next guy

I laugh at people who don't understand why he has been doubted or "hated on"

You think people just picked Tebow of all people and decided that this was the guy to pick on?

The fact that he is criticized for his, for the most part, poor play is lost on you guys who want to uplift him for his contributions to success as if he was the only guy on the field.

The fact that after winning a playoff game he was shipped off to be a backup QB says a lot

You think the coaches are blind "haters" too? Or is there some tiny chance that they actually have their franchises best interests in mind?

2. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Its funny you mentioned goal post that keep moving. Take Merrill Hoge for instance. Last year he went from , Tebow will not play QB this year and is not a QB , and then, he won't start a game, then he won't win a game, then he will not keep winning games, then Denver can not win the division with him, then no way he can win a playoff game to then (I SWEAR ) Denver won't win the superbowl this way. LOL

If you read the first one to the last one , you really see what Tebow haters are all about. So now bestbeach says no one doubted him and your right, no use arguing about it.

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lulz

When did I say this?

Stop arguing with a misrepresentation of what I have said and argue what I have actually said.

You might find it a little more challenging and worthwhile

4. Bannon

Bannon New Member

No, it is the way he looks playing, IMO. Something about him is polarizing -- he looks "off" to some people, and to others he seems like a great player (who obviously needs to keep developing).

The ones who think he can't play are usually the ones (1) rolling their eyes; (2) suggesting that not only is their opinion correct, but that anyone who sees it differently is a nut; and (3) pointing to unnamed "others" and experts who see it their way, as if they are comforted in the warm embrace of consensus.

Meanwhile, plenty of coaches and players (like Rex Ryan) think the guy can play.

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Is the bold referring to his inaccurate passing? If so, I think that is a valid concern.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

For someone like me how hasn't paid attention to Tebow's career or much college football except for the occasional bowl game or overime game, I see a Heisman winning, championship quarterback coming into the NFL and drafted in the first round. You see why from my perspective it doesn't seem like he has had it more difficult or more doubters? It all comes from perspective. Some of you guys know his high school stuff. I never paid attention to him until he was drafted. Then people said someone that didn't play in an NFL offense and an unorthodox throwing motion might struggle in the NFL, not really surprising from my perspective. He had a successful college career but there is doubts a running QB is going to succeed like Vince Young, Mike Vick, etc etc had.

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Did you know that in 2008, the year he won the National Championship, he had the most first place votes for Heisman (it would have been his second), but finished third in points? He was the first player to get the most first place votes but not win it. Even that year, leading his team to a national championship, he polarized the perception. (In other words, so many people put him way down the list, it counter-acted the first place votes).

When you tell that story to some people, they start mumbling something about "Gator fans" voting or something. As if the Heisman is awarded from an online poll or something.

He has already exceeded the doom and gloom predictions of many.

Just think -- many Jets fans are insisting he is not a legit quarterback. That he's the punt protector. Not even good enough to be the backup to Sanchez. I promise you, there are longtime fans who think that. It makes you wonder what the heck they are thinking.

8. displacedfan

I think he should backup Sanchez but Sanchez should have free reins barring injury this season. Unless the Jets want to show everyone not how to coach a QB.

See I didn't know any one that stuff. So again perspective changes everything. I see the typical championship QB, heisman winner, gets drafted late first round since there are questions about transition from college to nfl. It happens to a lot of players at a lot of position that the "transition" and doubts bump them down in the draft.

9. Bannon

Bannon New Member

That's what I see, too.

10. displacedfan

This is why the "list of doubts" is silly to me. I don't see why it gets posted so much. I could make it for so many QB's who had less success in college and more doubt coming into the NFL that did well like Tebow has. The list just seems dumb to me also because past success doesn't correlate to future success

11. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

The list is simply a funny way to add another remark of doom and gloom for Tebow to a litany of past predictions that always seem to be wrong .

The list is a joke poking fun of the latest Tebow Nostradamus who wants to predict his downfall , everyone should lighten up a little

12. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

For god sakes you can say Jake Locker was darfted "late first"

13. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Be honest. People don't phrase "questions" about Tebow's chances. For whatever reason, they go that extra step and make some really sharp pronouncements about his future.

Kiper said he'd never be a pro when he was a sophomore. Hoge was, at the earliest suggestions from film, saying he'd never be able to win. All that talk before Tebow ever took the field that "I'd love to have him as my son-in-law, but not a quarterback."

Where is all that about Blaine Gabbert? He's an obvious dumpster-fire raging, drafted higher than Tebow. But with everyone else, it seems to be understood you get your comments in, but you let the guy have a chance to work it out at the NFL level.

Tebow should have gotten at least the Vince Young level of respect -- maybe skepticism, maybe belief that his legs could only do so much -- but a recognition of his tendency to win and a reservation of final doom and gloom.

If you're not hearing that, you're not listening. The rhetoric is different with Tim Tebow. And it makes "regular folks" kind of identify with him when he doesn't let it bother him and still does something good.

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

....because they were better college passers than Tebow.......

15. displacedfan

But what is the relevance of the list? Did Tebow's coach ever say he wasn't ready for the NFL (Sanchez)? Did teams pass over him for 5 rounds (Brady)? Have experts called him a regular season QB only(Peyton)? Have people said he is a bust and a bad trade (Eli)? Then did the same people call his SB a fluke and he got lucky (Eli)?

Where is Gabbert's hate? Where is Gabbert's accomplishments that should be praised but then overshadows the great play of the whole team? It's like the Broncos past season was rewritten. Everyone keeps on saying the defense played poorly and Tebow saved them. That is 100% wrong. The defense was as inconsistent as Tebow except in game they were more consistent but game to game they were more inconsistent.

I still don't understand the "regular folks" connecting with him. He is a Heisman winning, championship winning, 1st round draft pick. Oh the horrors he went through. 2 championships too right? I feel a lot worse for Colt McCoy than I do for Tebow.

Half the "hate" Tebow gets is Tebow fans saying that legitimate criticism is hate. Half the "love" Tebow gets is not Tebow fans saying that appropriate praise is love. It is the way it is.

Oh and this all about the silly list which is dumb in my opinion. The list is dumb because it can be made for any athelte and probably have worse stuff on it. Even if the list is made for atheltes, past success doesn't lead to future accomplishments.

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Michael vick is not a pocket passer!

Vick can't win a playoff game!

Vick can't come back to the NFL and play at a high level!

Drew Brees is too short to play QB in the NFL

Drew Brees is a bust!

Drew Brees is not as good as Philip Rivers!

Drew Brees can't come back from shoulder surgery!

Drew Brees can't win a playoff game!

Drew Brees can't win a SB!

Drew Brees can't overcome bountygate!

they move the goalposts for EVERY QB IN THIS LEAGUE

17. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

No one said any of that with the level of ferocity that it has been said about Tebow. The fact that you are posting in a Tebow section , for a back up QB no less, should alert you to that .

18. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I answered your question in the thread below very precisely, I will post why and then a link to the thread, the quick and simple answer is unlike Sanchez, Brady, peyton and Eli (that you mentioned) Tebow makes EVERYONE right all at once , here read this:

Tebow is the all time individual in making EVERYBODY right.

You think he sucks and is terrible? He is guaranteed to prove it in most games
    You think he is a winner and clutch? He is guaranteed to prove it in most games
    You think he is a selfless force for good and charity? Absolutely, unreal what he does for children all over the world.
    You think he is an attention whore who wants to be front and center ? He sues a no name company about a t-shirt no one heard about .

It never ends, he is everything for everybody and thus becomes the ultimate debate subject and thus is ALWAYS in the news.

He does not do it on purpose though, he is who he is . He is a good human being (by all accounts) and he is an incredible athlete and he does suck throwing the ball and he does wins games and he does go 3 an out series after series and he does deliver a ridiculous drive in the 4th quarter and he does throw a wobbly duck into the dirt and he does help children all over the world and he does go to the met with no date and he does sue a no name t shirt company etc.

So people that love debate gravitate towards him, fans and haters alike.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=72421

19. iPlayiBall

iPlayiBall New Member

By what measure?

-Yards?
    -TD/INT ratio?
    -Completion percentage?
    -Wins?
    -QB honors?

Tebow had nasty stats coming out of college so I would love to see stat-for-stat how some of these people were better passers. And if you come up with they just looked better I'm gonna literally laugh out loud.

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

It's pointless. If you point out Tebow's amazing efficiency passing the ball in college, you get a lecture about how college doesn't mean anything for the NFL. If you wonder why Tebow doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that a Blaine Gabbert does, you get that it was because of college.