Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Actual the reason NYJs have not won a SB in 43 years is because there drafting sucks thruout the year & sucks more even today. Look no further then VG & Vlad & maybe Wilson also :sad:

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Our drafting has been pretty good for a long time now which is why we are a playoff caliber team in most years. Every team has busts.

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Dude, get over yourself. We've had some very successful drafts in recent years, do I really have to name them all? In fact, I'd argue that our best players have ALL come from the draft. Holmes is pretty much the only great player we have that was a free agent (MAYBE Cromartie, but I say he's good, not great). Every draft under Tanny has been above average. Every team gets a bust every now and then. But again, you only care about bashing the Jets blindly with no regards to any actual facts, so whatever's clever. We drafted 5 or so pro bowl caliber players in the past 6 years alone. Name me another team that's done that. The Lions may come close, but they had a top 3 pick like 5 years in a row.

#363 Barcs, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Okay Mrs. Tanny.

Really? VG? VD? Wilson is a first round pick? Trading up to get Mark Sanchez in the fifth spot?

I'd go on, but it makes me ill.

OTOH, Cro is one of the best seven or eight players on the team, so I would rate him better than merely good, to the credit of the Jet FO.

5. So the jets drafting sucks b/c of 3 or 4 pickS? 2 of your examples are players entering their 3rd season with the team. Sorry...I'm just not buying the criticism. Tannenbaum's drafts trump anything Kirwin/Steinburg came up with & have arguably been better than Parcells/Haley with the exception of 2000 when the team had 4 first rounders.

6. Really? So it had nothing to do with the offense's best player & O-line signal caller going down for 3 games? The accelerated TC where the team was going away from their run first philosophy? Moore, Brick & Slauson all battling injuries? It had nothing to do with those aspects? It's all on the FO,right?

How is 3 out of 5 players being pro bowlers not respecting the 0line? Did you see the Giants O-line last season?

7. TTTTebowAndTheJets

I'm going to be completely honest. As a tebow homer, I was hoping for Mark to fall on his face this season to give tebow the start. All of that has changed, over the last month our so of following the Jets and Mark, he's SERIOUSLY grown on me, especially in his most recent interviews and obvious signs of improvement in OTAs. I really think he'll have a break out year. I'm honestly pulling hard for him. I think it is good for Timmy as well. In an ideal world, Sanchez will lead the JEts to the playoffs and tebow will play well in his roll as backup and roll player, allowing him to get the time and development he needs. Hopefully we'll see great improvement out of him and his value will grow, giving the Jets an opportunity to bank off the trade and Tebow to get a shot as a starting QB elsewhere. That's my wish. Go JETS.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My expectations are that the Jets will acquire star-caliber players on a consistent basis. The best teams in football do this. From 2008 on the Jets have not acquired a single star-caliber player. That's why they're where they are right now in the middle of the pack.

From 2001 to 2007 the Jets acquired 5 star-caliber players, 1 of whom is no longer with the team.

The Jets need to do better at talent acquisition. if they can't do this then they'll be a .500 team which is right about where they have been since 2001. In 11 years the Jets have won 90 games. They've lost 86. That's because they do not acquire enough high-end talent to accumulate an elite level roster.

This was true from 2001 to 2005 and it has been true from 2006 to 2011.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Regarding the OL debate (as it pertains to the Draft), all you have to do is look at the consistently good teams - the perennial contenders - and how they've used the Draft to address their OL.

Dating back to 2006, the following teams have targeted OL within the first 4 Rounds of the Draft. (*note* if there's a year missing, then it means the team didn't use a pick on the OL in the first 4 Rounds of that Draft)

Ravens
    2012 R2: T, Kelechi Osemele
    2012 R4: G, Gino Gradkowski
    2011 R3: T, Jah Reid
    2009 R1: T, Michael Oher
    2008 R3: T, Oniel Cousins
    2007 R1: G, Ben Grubbs
    2007 R3: T, Marshal Yanda
    2006 R2: C, Chris Chester

Patriots
    2011 R1: T, Nate Solder
    2009 R2: T, Sebastian Vollmer
    2009 R4: G, Rich Ohrnberger

Packers
    2011 R1: T, Derek Sherrod
    2010 R1: T, Bryan Bulaga
    2009 R4: T, T.J. Lang
    2008 R4: G, Josh Sitton
    2007 R4: G, Allen Barbre
    2006 R2: G, Daryn Colledge
    2006 R3: G, Jason Spitz

Steelers
    2012 R1: G, David Decastro
    2012 R2: T, Mike Adams
    2011 R2: T, Marcus Gilbert
    2010 R1: C, Maurkice Pouncey
    2009 R3: T, Kraig Urbik
    2008 R4: T, Tony Hills
    2006 R4: T, Willie Colon

Eagles
    2011 R1: G, Danny Watkins
    2008 R4: G, Mike McGlynn
    2006 R2: T, Winston Justice
    2006 R4: G, Max Jean-Gilles

Giants
    2012 R4: T, Brandon Mosley
    2011 R4: T, James Brewer
    2009 R2: T, William Beatty
    2006 R4: T, Guy Whimper

------------------------------------

Whether or not the selected players actually panned out is a different debate. The main point is that these successful teams often target their OL within the the first 4 Rounds of the Draft. It appears there's a pretty strong correlation between consistent success and placing value (i.e. Drafting OL within the first 4 Rounds) on the OL.

10. NY Dork

NY Dork New Member

The Tebow effect. Sanchez will have his best year ever. These guys like each other, train with each other, and will help each other studying the playbook, tape and everything else that goes with max preperation for the each opponent.

11. The Uniform Bomber

So young and innocent.

12. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Based on the praise Mark has gotten and his performance thus far, why is it so hard to imagine tebow could be positive for Sanchez

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Because he was praised for all these qualities before Tebow came here.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not only that.

DL, OLB and OL are three key areas where you cannot over-invest. As Parcells would say, you can never have enough capable pass rushers. And we all know how important the guys at the trench are.

Trading down for more 2nd/3rd round picks is crucial to stock up on these. Jets not only neglect these areas consistently, they also gives picks away like candy.

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You lost me on saying Eric Smith is "above average"....

16. The Uniform Bomber

Agreed.

As I researched these teams, it was also evident that DL and LB were heavily emphasized in the first four Rounds. Again, not a coincidence.

17. championjets69

Ever hear of Blair Thomas or Johnny Lam Jones just to name a couple of others? :sad:

18. nyjunc

we have as many title game apps as Baltimore in that span and 1 more than Philly, we have been a consistently good team for a long time now. We haven't gotten over the SB hump yet but we are a contender more often than not, we haven't had a chance to host playoff games recently b/c we have the best franchise in the sport in our division w/ the best QB and oh by the way their drafting has been MUCH worse than ours the last 6-7 years.

I see all these guys drafted but where are they starting?

19. nyjunc

Tell me how 1980 & 1990 have anything to do w/ the last decade?

20. championjets69

VG, Vlad & possibily Wilson :sad: