Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

To be fair, Joe Flacco did all he could do to put the Ravens in the Super Bowl last postseason.

After seeing that game there should be no doubt that he can lead that team to the Super Bowl

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

All rightie.

How about:

Sacks: Fitz (22) Sanchez (39)

TD: Fitz (24) Sanchez (26)

INT: Fitz (23) Sanchez (18)

sound to you?

Fitz was sacked almost half as much as Sanchez while throwing less TDs and more INTs. (And he didn't have to suffer the epidemic that is Brian Schottenheimer either.)

But then, outperforming a career backup is not a monumental task either.

#242 Zach, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree, that was his first good postseason game but it wasn't sanchez vs. NE the year before.

4. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

His numbers being good for a rookie are debatable. Many rookies have posted better numbers since, none having the advantage of the #1 defense and running game. Sanchez is being a borderline top 10 in 2010 just isn't reality. Not when you finish with the third lowest completion percentage in the league.

I think you'd have to agree that injuries to left tackle, center, #2 receiver, #1 running back and the team's best player on defense definitely would effect any team negatively. Now, Buffalo didn't have good depth at all last year in several spots and it hurt them. I'm not saying they didn't make the playoffs because of injuries, but it definitely contributed to the degree of the 2nd half collapse. How could it not?

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Did you have Wayne Hunter playing your RT all season long? Case dismissed.

6. BrucekilledBoomer

I can post the yardage numbers, the completion percentage, the QB rating, the YPA, the overall turnovers...bottom line is that they were both mediocre starters. I already addressed the sack numbers. Lower sack numbers doesn't mean Fitz had better pass protection.

7. nyjunc

He started 15 games as a rookie w/ the expectations to win from day 1. he had 3-4 awful games where nothing went right which is to be expect for a rookie:

@ NO: 14-27, 138 yds, 0 TDs 3 INTs
    Buf: 10-29, 119 yds, 0 TDs, 5 INTs
    @ NE: 8-21, 135 yds, 1 TD, 4 INts
    total: 32-77, 392 yds, 1 TD, 12 INTs

Other 12 games:

164-287, 2052 yds, 11 TDs, 8 INTs, 80.1 rating

I don't care about comp %, I care about when you are completing passes.

led us back at Den
    led us to OT win in Cle after D blew late lead
    led us back from 10 down at det w/ 3 mins left
    led us back from 4 down w/ no TOs and almost 80 yds to go and 1 min left against Hou
    led GW drive in WC rd

He was much better than the #s indicate and there weren't 10 better QBs in the NFl in 2010.

Good teams overcome injuries, look at the last 2 SB champs.

I like your username though.:smile:

8. BrucekilledBoomer

Deep teams do overcome injuries (which I already noted Buffalo was not). One individual player usually doesn't, which is why I can't put all the blame on Fitz for the second half.

Sanchez made some throws to his playmakers (namely Holmes) in big spots in 2010. I certainly won't take that away from him. The level of competition in those games certainly wasn't impressive but that's fine. I still look at the overall body of work and see a bottom half starter. And I don't know how much credit I should give Sanchez for winning a game in which Cromartie returned the ball out passed midfield. He was overall pretty terrible in that game.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think you are one of the better posters here and are well informed, know how to state your case. I don't argue with you arguing againts troll like posters. I do some of that myself, but I do try to distinguish when they occasionally make a decent point. I am not saying you do not, either.

I have not literally given up on Sanchez, either. I tend to be concerned about his problems reading defenses, and wonder if that is something it is realistic to expect will be corrected. On that, I concede I tend to be skeptical. But the reality is he will be here at least this coming season, and that being the case I think the Jet FO should have been doing things to make him more likely to succeed than not.

Which brings me to your last paragraph. It is exactly because I have huge questions about the way the Jets have handled their main task for this year that makes it difficult for me to be optimistic. THere have been some good moves, but more that have either been questionable or not made at all.

10. nyjunc

Cle whipped NE and NO and were playing very well, Den is never easy to play in Mile High(at least for the Jets), det was a team on the rise and Hou was a a playoff contender(a team expected to make a run but needed to drop that dead weight of mario Williams before they made a run:smile:). The big play against hou was a beautiful deep sideline pass to Braylon Edwards to set up the Holmes TD, he laso hit Braylon in the PLAYOFFS at Indy to set up the GW FG as time expired. In the div rd after NE got w/in 21-14 he quickly led the Jets to a TD drive to put them back up by double digits inbclduing a PERFECT pass to Santonio for the TD on a 3rd down. if he doesn't make that throw the Jets are up 17-11 instead of 21 and it's a completely different game.

Give the man some credit.

Cro set up the Indy playoff win but sanchez still needed to make plays, Indy returned a fumble to midfield in their '05 div rd game vs. Pitt but Peyton couldn't do anything but settle for a long FG which his K missed. mark made plays to win.

11. BrucekilledBoomer

A lot of variables there. Easier to drive on Indy's defense than Pittsburgh's, for example. I'll give Sanchez credit for his flashes in the comebacks and for making enough plays to win the playoff games. It's only fair because I do give credit to Fitzy rallying back from three touchdowns behind to both Oakland and New England last year. Sanchez never had to play a game in a post-season game where he had to throw for significant amount of yardage/attempts and really carry his team but I can't put that on him. Even so, that's still a small sample size of the complete body of work. The complete work suggest a pretty mediocre quarterback to this point.

12. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

You have Tony Sparano as your new OC ... :rofl: I suspect that by 3 or 4 games into the season, the first defectors will be abandoning the Sparano bandwagon and secretly wishing Schotty was still the OC. By mid-season, the "we should have kept Shotty" chorus will be in full voice.

So, have you actually been to Omaha or is it just a dot on a map in one of those fly-over states to you? FTR, sweetpea, the Cornhuskers reside about 55 miles SW of Omaha in Lincoln, at the U of Nebraska-Lincoln.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If your consistently throwing the football that means your playing from behind

People that use passing yards to judge QBs and their impact don't know how the game is played and certainly don't know the Jets offensive scheme which is running the football keeping the defense fresh

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

14. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

So, Wayne Hunter is an excuse for Sanchez getting sacked a lot in 2011, but he's miraculously going to get better in 2012 because Tony Sparano is going to do his fist pump over him?

Right-o! :rofl:

The Bills didn't like their OT play in 2011, so they will have a new LT and possibly a new RT as well.

That's usually how teams get better, by replacing crappy players with others who are hopefully better, not by thinking a mediocre ex-HC is going to turn a turnstile into a competent starter.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

That's not really true any in this day and age. The NFL has become a pass first league. NE and GB throw all the time because they don't have good ground games. Indy with Peyton did so as well. NO throws a lot and then uses RB by committee to bury their opponents. Pitt has thrown a lot more in recent years as their running game has NOT been all that great lately. Now that they've retooled their OL, they may return to their run first ways but I doubt it.

Teams like Atlanta, Houston, and Philly pass more than they run. Only the Niners and Ravens are run-first teams from among the 2011 playoff teams.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

09 can be argued bottom 10. He had games where looked like a bottom 5 QB, but it wasn't consiistenly bottom 5 QB play.

In 2010, no way was he bottom 5. He probably played like a top 12-15 QB in the league.

In 2011 he probably played like a number 16 QB in the league, average.

17. 101GangGreen101

Baltimore and 49ers two teams that went to their conference games rely on the run just as much as the Jets. Saints AND Colts would not of won a SB without a valuable running game.

People can say whatever they want you still need success running the football

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

When did I say that? No, I didn't. It's your delusion. Wake up. Coke is a bad thing for you. Like really.

So Bills handed out 60M contract to a perennial backup QB, eh? Nice job there, son.

19. 101GangGreen101

Only for Vince Young to take Fitz's spot by week 8

20. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That would be about 3 weeks later than Tebow taking Sanchez's spot.