Why Sanchez will succeed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GA Jets, May 23, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Sanchez is going to be an excellent game manager when he's put in the situation to do so. That will likely be in a veteran offense with a few really good receivers (Raiders 1998-ish) and with the expectations that he is going to carry the team removed from his shoulders.

I think he's fairly likely to fail on the Jets at this point because most of the people in the food chain above him were fairly clueless for the first three years of his association with the team and so his chances here have been damaged in the process.

At some point fairly soon somebody is going to take the fall for the fact that the Jets offense is taking awhile to adjust under Tony Sparano, as most offensive installations do. Woody? Nope. Tannenbaum? Nope. Rex? Nope. Sparano? Nope.

Sanchez.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

We need to just win the damn title already to shut guys like 69 up.

It's a game, there's no reason to take it so personally. The Jets aren't down on Sanchez, they just extended his contract. It's only the old timer fans who have suffered over the years and take it to heart who expect each and every decision to result in failure, who think Sanchez is bad. What about that pump fake bomb to Edwards while he's about to get pummeled in the Colts playoff game? Nah, he sucks at making those quick decisions. People are afraid to even give him a chance in a new system. It's utterly hilarious.

#102 Barcs, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Or maybe, just maybe, the simplified approach allows athletes to execute rather than think about how to execute and the offense comes out of the gate looking like a well oiled machine. Maybe Sparano figures out something this group of guys can excel in and keeps doing it until opposing defenses figure out how to stop it. Maybe Sparano focusing on the details and getting the small things right before worrying about the graduate level crap will allow these guys to put together more long drives that don't get derailed by stupid penalties and sloppy execution. I seem to remember the defense coming out of the gate looking great when Ryan took over. Why can't the offense do the same if Sparano is good at what he does? FTR, I don't think anyone can really know if Sparano is good at being an OC at this point.

I'm not saying the offense WILL come out of the gate fast, but it's a possibility.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Do not buy into that hooey that TS O being simple will improve MS. You CAN NOT repeat improve someone who can not make snap quick decisions. That simple stuff is just to keep us fans chilling out just like signing Tbow was :sad:

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry where MS goes into left field when he has to make that quick snap decision so he will not or never be a good field manager :sad:

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why do you think Sanchez cannot make snap quick decisions?

I think a simplified offense could help everyone on offense, not just Sanchez. In fact I think maybe the others not having to think as much will have more of an effect than Sanchez not having to think as much. I'm not so sure he's the one who was struggling mentally, although that's surely a possibility.

7. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

8. Br4d

Just looking at the Fins offense under Sparano as head coach I have trouble believing that the Jets are going to come out of the gate smoothly. If we had a really smooth operator like Chad who was finally healthy then maybe. I don't see that guy on the Jets though. Chad was almost unique in his ability to maintain a precision passing game. Sanchez seems to be the exact opposite. Streaky, really bad when he's off, impossible to stop when he's on, starts slow early on but rises at the end to lead the Jets if the game is winnable. That's like the Anti-Chad.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I actually agree with most of that. Tony wasn't calling the plays in Miami though and we don't know how much his fingerprints were on that offense. He was probably closer to the offense when he was actually doing some play calling in Dallas but he also had Tony Romo (in his first starts).

I'm a fan. The offseason is a time I can at least have some hope that things will be better. Of course there is the possibility that things could be worse too, I'm trying to look at the positive side here and I believe there are some realistic reasons to be positive.

10. Br4d

The absence of Brian Schottenheimer is a big reason to be hopeful. That's for the Jets though, not Sanchez. Sanchez is going to have to not only learn a new offense with new key players around him, he's also going to have to excel while he does it or he'll likely be replaced as the scapegoat.

For the Jets some hope because they got a monkey off of their back on the offensive side of the ball. For Sanchez not so much, because timing is everything and his time has grown short while the monkey chittered in his ear.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sanchez has a similar skill set to Tony Romo. Sparano has experience with an offense that got the most out of that skill set. Sanchez learning a new, less complex offense shouldn't be an issue in his 4th year in the league. It will likely be more of a breath of fresh air for him than a burden.

There aren't many new key players around him - he lost Burress who was great in the redzone but was awful for the most part between the 20's. Burress basically did nothing to keep the heat off of Holmes. His top 2 targets in Keller and Holmes are back and he has years of experience with them. He also gets his slot guy back in Kerley whom he was building good chemistry with. Hill is the biggest moving part and actually gives him a weapon similar to what he had and was comfortable with in Braylon.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

[YOUTUBE]4xFRqsZdbzY[/YOUTUBE]

Nah, that definitely wasn't a snap decision or anything.

[youtube]8LL8FHwqDTs[/youtube]

Having Hill around is going to bring back THIS Mark Sanchez who can deliver the deep ball. He can make those quick decisions and is great rolling out of the pocket and directing traffic.

13. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I think Schottenheimer is a crappy OC, but the "evidence" in the first post was entirely meaningless. You can't compare players stats on one team with their stats on a different team, sure the OC is different, but so are ALL THE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE FIELD. That means the protection quality is different the receiver and backs quality is different, the defense is different (leading to entirely different situations and expectations for the QB).

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

What I took away from that video is that he locked onto his first read for so long that it became necessary for him to improvise.

Granted he is pretty good at improvising and the above play worked out well, but I think that video shows you the good and bad of Sanchez. Sometimes similar plays result in sacks and turnovers.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

How about dealing with reality not fantasy?

First off, Sanchez and Romo do NOT have a similar skill sets. Not even close! :rofl:

Second, Sparano's "experience" in Dallas was as the OL coach who got to call plays in a handful of games. Jason Garrett was the OC, not Tony Sparano.

Third, the alleged "complexity" of Schottenheimer's offense is simply untrue. It's primarily an excuse for the failure of the FO to acquire/keep quality offensive talent, particularly on the OL and at WR, but i's also an excuse for Sanchez's failure to develop into a franchise QB despite starting 50+ games.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Actually Sanchez and Romo are very similar. Take a beating, hold on to the ball too long, annoying turnovers, great on the run, solid arms, and inconsistent passers. They are very similar. Obviously Romo is better, Sanchez and Romo play the QB position very similarly.

How do we know the complexity is untrue? Should we go with reports that Favre had trouble picking it up and wanted to abandon all the motion? Do we use our eyes and see different players at different positions looking lost at times? Countless times receivers were within the same general area of each other or ran into each other on routes. Should we go with that play calls coming late in the play clock? How about players lining up the wrong positions, messing up snap counts, and regularly looking at OC in confusion? Or we can go with the Hunter, Keller, and McKnight reports this year saying the scheme and simpler and direct?

But maybe I will trust the Bills' fan using no evidence who says the system is not complex

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Eric Mangini said the primary reason the Jets hired Schotty was because of his complex Offense, as they hoped it would confuse and break down Defenses (i.e. make the opposing Defense declare their pre-snap fronts clearly), specifically, Belichick's Defense.

So, you're just flatout wrong.

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

So what you are saying is ... the Jet's don't have players smart enough to understand it?

19. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

I am not gonna comment specifically on the quarterback play or chance of success but more on the team making everyone successful. Identity (as silly as it sounds) is the most important thing right now for the Jets, not only as an offense, but as an entire football team.

What is the identity of the team? For example, the 49ers identity was a Run-first, physical style with solid contributions by the Tight End and solid defense. Many teams try to have a certain identity but aren't honestly evaluating their talent (lack of key personnel): and end up forcing it. Like a team that tries to be a 3-4 defense but doesn't have great Linebackers or pass rushers.

If the Jets can figure out what kind of Identity they want to have, and actually commit to it, then a lot of stuff can fall into place for the quarterback. The OC took the blame last year for the failure: but Rex should be enforcing a specific Identity. The Jets are never going to be the Saints in terms of an offensive juggernaught or a pass-whacky team. If you're not a high-powered offense like the Saints, don't gameplan and trot out on to the field expecting to throw up 35 points and 500 yards passing, with a 70/30 pass to run scheme.

IMO, the Jets are not a team that can morph (gameplan) based on the match-up either. Jets need to play one brand of football, and stick with it. Otherwise, I don't see much success for the offense. Nor should they be relying on tricks or even practicing them. As stupid as it sounds, until everyone is on the same page with the team's Identity and Brand of football, it won't matter who the quarterback is.

20. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Or his cockamamie system was a convoluted crock of caca.