Anybody excited about the Up Coming Season???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, May 19, 2012.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets succeed in increasing their mobility in general then the whole defense will be better.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Where are those speedsters coming from? Lets see. Harris is almost as slow as molasses, Pace is way past his prime, Same with Scott, If U R figuring on Thomas forget him. What about the slowness + the no covering skills of our safeties, What about our PR Devito does not even qualify nor does Poulha nor does whomever they put on the other side. Crow is more a liability then a asset. I think U R looking at the NYJs thru Very, very, very dark green glasses :sad:

3. xxedge72x

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yep they fit U to a T :sad:

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I was talking mostly about roster changes. But looking at your point, if that was so obvious and simple, how come they didn't do that last year?

6. xxedge72x

I think they felt they lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs because the Steelers ran all over them... that they were beaten physically and that size would somehow fix that. That assumption was wrong. They looked more sluggish last year than in any of the prior two seasons.

I'm basing this on the fact that they adjusted the defense after losing to Indy the year before that. I think Rex is very reactionary when it comes to failure. If something goes wrong, he makes dramatic changes. The "bulk up" thing last year didn't work, so now mobility will be the theme this year.

Speed > Size

7. Big Blocker

So they're overreacting again this year? No? Why not?

8. xxedge72x

I guess that remains to be seen.

9. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

reading tweets like this........i can't wait.

Manish Mehta ‏@TheJetsStream

Sanchez connects with Stephen Hill, who beat Kyle Wilson, for 80-yard TD. #nyj

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What was the defense ranked again last year from the way you are talking I am guessing what 30 31st?

11. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

These rookies will help tremendously first time long time for us just have to pray on health for these guys.... I think the LBs are gonna be quicker this year just because u have one awful season doesn't mean you can't recover from it, it can be a teaching lesson for our whole team last year(how pathetic we played with such high hopes

12. Big Blocker

Meh. Post if he beats Revis or Cro. Imo Wilson is still mediocre.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The kid is a rookie, we can't get excited about him beating a vet who sees a lot of playing time? It's not like Eric Smith was covering him.

14. Big Blocker

Wilson of course is not a rookie, but the point stands. He has yet to show much.

15. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

What is with the constant dumping on Wilson. When you draft a CB with your first round pick you should expect him to be a solid starter by year two. I thought Wilson played well last year and improved 100% over his rookie season so there's no reason not to believe he'll continue improving. Mediocre is taking a pretty cynical view IMO.

16. Big Blocker

PFF moved him from 54 to 49. I don't see that as 100% improvement.

Ftr I never said he's a bust. I just was hoping for more from him as a first round pick.

17. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Excited about the defense, dreading the offense.
    Defense.

First of all Landry. I pray to God he stays healthy because he's really just what we needed. I think a huge part of our problem last year was the safties. If one of the young guys can step up and Landry stays healthy Im ten times more comfortable with every blitz. Good safties take away the "what if this play breaks down" factor. We need that to maximize Rexs genius.

Coples is a stud. I truly think he has Peppers talent. Not sure how they're gonna use him, but he'll be big. Plus give Maybin another year, and Wilkerson another year. AFC QBs should be terrified.

Demario Davis is actually my favorite pick of the draft, really hope he can make an impact early.

All in all I think we got all the missing pieces we needed on defense. Im concerned about Landry's health and Coples and Davis readiness, but I have faith.

But I hate the offensive moves.

I might be the only dude on this site that didn't like Stephen Hill pick. Don't get me wrong, he could be freaky good, but I question drafting receivers high when you dont have a trustworthy offensive unit as a whole. Receivers are a dime a dozen, and we're not a pass-oriented team either way.

Which brings me to my next point, there's a huge identity crisis here on offense. Quoting Rex we're one of maybe three teams in the NFL that want to define ourselves with the run. But who's going to carry the motherfuckin ball? I've been waiting for Greene's breakout season like I've been waiting for Sanchez to prove he was worth his draft value and now I just don't see it happening. I think Shonn would be better suited as a committee guy or a starter on a team like NE or the old Indy. A treat the run as a formality kind of team. But here, he's a backup.

I like what Im hearing about McKnight, but I gotta see before I believe.

We also have the worst QB controversy possible, and for some dumb reason its getting attention in May.

18. Royce Parker

Quoting a rank number from one source doesn't mean much to me. If you watched the Jets in 2010 and 2011 it was quite clear that Wilson made a lot of improvement from his rookie to sophmore season. He's playing behind arguably the best CB tandem in the league, including THE best CB in the league hands down - did you expect him to knock Revis or Cro out of their starting positions? I don't recall hearing many complaints about Wilson during the season but now in the off season all of a sudden it seems like there are lots of people critcizing him. I don't get where it's coming from - because PFF didn't rank him higher? You gotta have something better than that.

19. Royce Parker

I agree with you on the defensive side of the ball - plenty to be excited about, but I don't feel the same way about the O. Admittedly, I was hoping they would take an Olineman in the 2nd round but I also thought at the time that it was likely they'd bring Braylon back to provide a deep threat.

The fact is, they could have chosen to fortify the Online and maybe gone after a high profile RB, but I really like the Hill pick at this point. True, WRs may be a dime a dozen, but Hill's physical tools are not just average - the guy is a freakish athlete with a size/speed combination that's unprecedented outside of Randy Moss and Megatron - that's not dime a dozen. And aside from that, RB is an even more dime a dozen position than WR. It's not like they didn't add another ground n pound style RB in the draft, albeit in the later rounds.

To me, the bottom line is that with no viable deep threat the running game is going to stagnate no matter who's in the backfield - team's don't fear the pass and can stack the box which is what we saw last season. I think signing Hill is going to be a huge help to the passing game as well as the run game (he's also touted as a great blocker BTW). As long as Greene can stay healthy I think the O is in much better shape than last year.

20. Big Blocker

I quoted an objective source. You referred to your subjective feelings. Call me crazy but i think I have the better argument.

Where did I say I expected Wilson to beat out Revis and Cro? Straw man.