Anybody excited about the Up Coming Season???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, May 19, 2012.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Got to love the Doom and Gloom of Jets fans. The JETS were in the thick of things last and were sitting at 8-5 and poised for another playoff run until the wheels fell off.

Of course I am excited I am excited before every season. I think the Jets improved their team through FA, the Draft and returning of injured players. I think this team is every bit as good as the PATS and it will be fun to watch to see how the Jets counter what Patriots did to us last season.

I am excited to see Sanchez continue his progression. I not only think he was hampered by Schotty last year but by a big decline in general on offense. The o-line got banged up early Plax played like he did not play football in two years and Santonio got frustrated.

The offense will be better just on the fact they should be healthier than last year. Kerly is year more experienced and we have a rookie that can be special.

The defense additions should make a top 5 unit even better while getting younger. We still have Revis, Wilkerson is year older and we have a rookie that should contribute right away with Coples.

These are not days of old every team has huge holes as do the Jets but as always the teams that stay the healthiest have the best chance of making a run. The jets did not stay healthy last year we will see this season.

2. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Not to Mention Mangold was out for the first couple of games last year so we could of gotten a couple more wins than the 8 games

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Always excited for a new football season. I always am excited for Jets games to start and slightly more optimistic than I probably should be. Football is always exciting to watch, and with the new rookies and younger players I am excited to see how they produce. Also I want to see how good (or bad) of a QB Mark Sanchez is. He has a new OC so this is a make or break year for him. You can argue all you want about the Jets' decisions on him, but this definitely seems like the year the Jets FO is going to decide on him.

And in general football is always exciting to watch. I am little upset of games every Thursday night, but I can live with it.

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Hell yes! just ordered 2 tickets to the Monday night game against the Titans. 4 rows from the field on the Jets Side!!!!

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Not excited about the early part of our schedule.... IF Sanchez is still the unquestioned starter come week 6 or so, THEN I'll be pumped about this season. Of course, if that's the case, we'll be 3-3 or better, and everybody's about to get excited--the second half of our schedule looks very nice at the moment.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes & I am saying this again will be a non PO year & since RRs contract is up after the 2013 season he will be made history by Woody since the money guys where Woody makes most of the money will not wish to keep paying 10Gs or more PSLs to see a losing FB team which the NYJs are & have been now for 43 years

BTW U did not even answer my easy question is better to win a SB 7 years ago like the NEPs have or 43 years ago like the NYJs have :sad:

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Mangold was the only major injury to a key player last year. So, you feel comfortable in assuming no key player will get hurt this year?

Gee, I sure hope so.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I didn't answer the question because I'm not concerned with the last Patriots SB and the last Jets Super Bowl. I wasn't alive for the Jets one and only Super Bowl win so I don't even have the ability to be nostalgic about that. Watching it on film just isn't the same as seeing it live.

I'm not concerned with the past but the future. I'll limit myself to the recent past since that is what's immediately relevant to the future of the team. So far, I believe the Jets have done what it takes to stay competitive. The best teams are up there consistently... the Jets have the talent and the coaching staff to be one of those teams.

My main disagreement is that the Jets will miss the playoffs again this year and it stems directly from my feelings towards how poorly our offense was run under Schottenheimer.

I have a ton of respect for you champ. I understand your arguments totally but respectfully I just choose to view things from another angle. :wink:

9. championjets69

Ha, ha & U think Tony S is a improvement over Shotty? Cmon give me a break here please. Even with Shotty gonzo U still have to have a QB that can not make quick smart snap decisions (not MS for sure) A OL (not ours presently) A game changing WR (not presently on the team) RBs (not presently on the team) TEs who can run deep (not presently on the team) Besides those small items not much is needed on the O side of the ball. I think U should do a bit of evaluation before going off the deep end like U did since the facts of the situation will always override hope & prays since hope & prays never win anything

If U were not concerned about the NEPs not winning a SB for 7 years why did U mentioned it in a earlier post? If U had not brought it up I would not have queried U on it :sad:

10. DoubleA

DoubleA Banned

How can you say Sparano isn't an improvement over Shotty? The Jets havent' played any games yet. The body of work hasn't happened.

Stop making asinine assumptions about the players too.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Cumberland was set to be a key in the offense last year, remember they were planning to do more 2 TE formations like the Pats? Plus LT got injured for a couple game stretch and Greene missed a game. Turner's injury hurt a lot and made mangold's injury and Slauson's that much more detrimental. Then of course Sanchez's injury affected his play but didn't knock him out of the games. I see Leonhard as a key injury as well since he called all the plays for the secondary. I don't think he would have given up that Cruz TD like Smith did. It seems like we have key injuries almost every year.

12. xxedge72x

I do believe Sparano is better than Schottenheimer. There seems to be a "wisdom" floating around here that because Sparano failed as a head coach that he's also going to be a failure as an offensive coordinator.

If Sparano ends the year as the 16th best coordinator in the NFL then he's a major improvement over Schottenheimer. Schottenheimer was bottom 10 bad... possibly even bottom 5. When you consider the offensive line talent he's had to work with over his six years here (last year being the worst obviously) his offenses have severely underachieved. Even the venerable Brett Favre couldn't operate Schottenheimer's dopey and overly complex offense to full capacity and he had been around and done it all and seen it all.. then continued to do so in Minnesota.

Schottenheimer also coached Drew Brees straight into losing his job with the Chargers. Drew Brees went on to New Orleans and became one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL. Schottenheimer was awarded a job as an offensive coordinator anyway for his "brilliant mind" and gave us six years of underachieving. He got a few whiffs of head coach interview but nothing serious.

Sparano on the other hand got hired as a head coach in the first place because he was the play caller of a top 10 offense in the NFL and also helped Tony Romo reach his first Pro Bowl. The Cowboys running game in particular was very strong under Sparano's guidance that year.

Sparano did fail as a Miami head coach no doubt but his role as the Jets offensive coordinator does not equal that of a head coach. If bad head coaches equaled bad coordinators then Dick LeBeau would've been a failure in Pittsburgh, and guys like Norv Turner wouldn't keep getting more cracks at head coaching jobs even though they continually fail at it.

As for the talent currently on the Jets roster - I believe the only true needs the Jets have right now is:

1) A 2 year stop gap at WR until Hill can come into his own.
    2) A right tackle that you can rely on.
    3) Depending on Slauson's health, a left guard you can rely on.

I'm also not a huge fan of Keller but he is what he is and he can still help Sanchez somewhat.

The two times the Jets made the playoffs in the last 3 years Sanchez was very good both times... even great at times. This happened because the offense was "de-Schottenheimered" at the end of the year. Now that Schottenheimer has been removed from the equation I expect Sanchez will actually be allowed to thrive. He's not an elite quarterback but he doesn't need to be. He needs to be a game manager who can pull through in clutch situations, something he's already shown us several times.

13. championjets69

Well I think U R in NYJ la la land & when then season is over & done with it will be 44 years & counting for the NYJs :sad:

14. xxedge72x

Certainly possible. Just going to enjoy the ride and hope for the best.

15. DoubleA

DoubleA Banned

You're the anti-Champ.

I applaud your attitude. :)

16. Big Blocker

None of those situations were half as critical as Mangold's. I guess you have a lower standard for what is a "key" injury.

17. Big Blocker

edge's position can be characterized as follows:

Everything wrong last year was Schotty's fault.

Sparano, despite never having been an OC before, and having been fired from freakin Miami, hardly a powerhouse, is not, despite all that, Schotty.

Therefore Sparano has to be materially better than Schotty.

Has to be.

Heh.

18. DoubleA

DoubleA Banned

Schotty had his chance, and failed miserably.

Until Sparano craps the bed, he deserves his shot with the Jets' offense.

19. xxedge72x

You've really captured the nuances of the position. :smile:

20. lamont_jordan_rules

... there is nowhere for sparano to go but up from shotty ...

l_j_r