Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I can't remember what game it was, but I know I saw players and coaches holding Mulligan back from killing schotty in at least one game last year. Why, schotty would bring Mulligan aboard is beyond all comprehension?

2. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

When Schotty first became our OC, the offense moved the ball and he was credited with running an offence that confused the opposing D. After a year or so, the other teams in our division realized that he runs the same 5 plays out of dozens of different formations and that all of the motion doesn't mean spit. I expect that the Rams will see the same results. A good first year but once teams get some tape of what he's doing, it's down hill from there. I predict that he's out of the NFL in 3 years.

3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

In the infinity of the universe and beyond, there is absolutely NO chance of that ever REMOTELY being possible. More likely half the O on the Rams will end up with concussions from being blindsided while they're scratching their heads at the play being called

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It will be a miracle if his gimmick jokes last a year.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

LMAO, the Schotty Haters are literally afraid he will succeed with the Rams! Well, I don't know their team well enough to consider the odds of that. But I know this, if he somehow does, some of the posts on this thread will have an extremely high comedy value.

6. Big Blocker

I might as well throw in here, what did you Haters think of Jeff Fisher before he hired Schotty? And why do you think Fisher hired Schotty if he were even half as bad as the Haters say he was/is?

7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Whether or not he succeeds with the Rams is a moot point.

The fact remains that he did a poor job in the last two years here recognizing the strengths of his players and calling plays based on that assessment.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The fact that the Jets didn't use a high draft pick for offensive line supports the argument that Schotty and his system were the problem and NOT the players. We'll see.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Do you think I'm afraid!? Just what makes you think so? The body of work says he ain't got one shot in probably tens of gazillion. I have even showed a cold hard fact about the difference between the performances of Dolphins on a down year and Jets on 8-8. Just what the hell?

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's possible. They had a very good draft. Maybe Bradford can succeed in Schotty's system. I guess we'll see. I'm just glad he's their burden now.

11. Big Blocker

Oh come on. If he is a success with the Rams that definitely supports the argument that the problems with the Jet O were elsewhere than with him. This is not rocket science.

Also, why no response about Jeff Fisher?

Imo, Fisher has been one of the top HC's in the league, certainly top fifteen, I would say top ten, over the last ten years. He seems to disagree with the Schotty Haters, doesn't he?

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Top HC my fucking ass. I don't think Fisher is the top HC you make him out to be. Out of the 17 year career, he led his team to the top spot in his division three times, and won nothing. 1 AFCC, and 1 SB appearance is all that he can boast. He led his team to the postseason 6 times, so that's like what, 33%? Consider Rex Ryan. 66% post-season advancement (could have been 3/3 had it not been for the moron you so staunchly defend) and 2 AFCCG appearance. Does he qualify as the top HC as well too? Sure as hell looks MUCH better than that 33% ratio we got there, no?

2. Why he chose Brian? Who knows? His father at work again? I am not Jeff Fisher so I couldn't talk about that issue intelligently even if I wanted to.

3. If Rams offense crumbles (like I expect it to) I KNOW for a fact that Schottenheimer will be off the hook AGAIN because he has no OL to speak of. Rams OL = Wayne Fucking Hunter x5. To round out that honor, they finished the league at the top in Sacks allowed category (55) If you really think Bradford will thrive under Schottenheimer, I don't know what to tell you, other than you are seriously delusional. Schottenheimer's scheme yielded 40 sacks, with all-pro center and LT on board. Just what makes you think Rams will fare better?

#4712 Zach, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fisher took Schotty because he wanted Air Coryell and Schotty was available. Schotty has said that he's going to loosely implement Air Coryell on the Rams. That's where their problems will likely begin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/58062/brian-schottenheimers-plans-for-rams

The problem with Air Coryell right now is that there are better pass-based offenses out there. That makes the confusion potential in that system a real drag on production. If you're running Air Coryell with a group of people grounded in the system who also happen to be good at avoiding mistakes then you probably have a good chance to succeed with it. The caveats are that not a lot of people play in that system, so there's not a huge pool of players who can pick it up and run it well like there is with the WCO, and there's a large potential for error on the part of the players if they're not right on top of their game.

The way the Jets ran the system was just stupid. They used a zone blocking scheme that required the linemen to be very good at picking up their assignments on the fly. They kept bringing new players in every year who had to learn a system they had little familiarity with. They changed offensive philosophies during the season the way a high school girl changes clothes during the day.

Obviously if the Rams are more coherent in the choices they make Schotty may fare better there.

#4713 Br4d, May 8, 2012
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh sweet Jesus.

Coryell offense preaches on stretching the field both horizontally AND vertically. When did Schottenheimer EVER do that? If there is ONE element Schottenheimer took to the heart from the Coryell offense, that is a lot of motions, to the point where players start moving for the sake of moving. Productive? Not in this millennium.

For the first time in some long while, I am laughing my ass off because of Schottenheimer. Damn, that was a good joke right there.

15. reverseapachemaster

I'm glad he's gone; I hope he has better luck with the Rams. I don't care why he didn't work out last year. I'm just glad I don't have to look forward to him this year.

16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Is there a thread for intelligently bashing Schottenheimer? Because it seems like some smart people are threadjacking this one by thoughtfully pointing all the ways schottenheimer=fail.

Cmon guys the OP has a narrative he wants to enact...don't eff it up for him by coming in here with facts.

/sarcasm off
    // eff schitty

#4716 Donttasemebro, May 8, 2012
  17. Big Blocker

Unlike some around here, I did not make a prediction about the Rams.

I would disagree with you about Fisher. But I wonder if you would have said the same about him before he hired Schotty.

18. Big Blocker

Are you expecting Sparano to go downfield more than Schotty did?

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He did with the Dolphags last year already - if you are talking about stretching the defense vertically. With the front office playing musical chair at the QBs with backups, notwithstanding. Need I say more?

(Erhardt/Perkins system does not preach on stretching the defense both horizontally and vertically all the time, like Coryell system does. Neither does it preach gazillion pre-snap motions, a staple of Schottenheimer fuck-ups. It's just about how you call the plays, really - E/P system can take the shape of aerial assault as in Patriots offense, or hard-nosed smashmouth football as in Parcells era Giants. In that regard, comparison with Schottenheimer is moot - it's more of apple and orange situation. In short, the system was developed out of need in Northeastern stadium - harsh weathers with rains/snows/winds in mind.

Now, Schottenheimer's inability to devise plays to stretch defense IS highly problematic, because that is one of the core tenets in Coryell offense.)

#4719 Zach, May 8, 2012
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Does my point about Fisher hinge that much on his hiring of Schottenheimer? HOW? When did he hire Schottenheimer, prior to this season, in his 17 year career? Care to clarify that?