Coples, what does he mean?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cantwait57, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 3-4 was designed to stop the run. It uses faster linebackers that can't be as easily trapped/blocked at the line of scrimmage and therefore allows for fewer gaps in the defense to be rushed through.

The wiki on the 3-4 is wrong. The reason the Giants went to the 3-4 was because they had to stop the Redskins Hogs from running all over them. One way to neutralize the size advantage that the Skins offensive line had was to prevent them from locking up with with the Giants primary tacklers early in the play. That was the job of the 3 pegs on the line. They effectively became blockers against the offensive line, allowing the Giants linebackers to make plays.

The evolution of the ROLB was as the compensation for having fewer down linemen to rush the passer. The idea was to have a quick, strong rusher in the 5 slot on the weakside where he could rush outside of the left tackle and overwhelm the backs left in to block.

Make no mistake though, when the Giants went to the 3-4 it was because the majority of the strong NFC teams at the time (Redskins, Cowboys, Bears) were trying to run people over on their way to the Super Bowl. The fact that the 3-4 also did fairly well against the emerging West Coast offense was a plus.

#21 Br4d, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

That is all true. The 3-4 is designed to stop the run.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Now officially trolling...

4. Bills over Jets

What?

How is that trolling?

5. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

And how many defensive ends went ahead of him?

That is some of the most backwards, retarded logic you could possibly come up with. Because he was the #16 pick it means he can't be a star player?

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

A.k.a. makes us better against the no-huddle

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

AGREED! This is agreat pick for us. REX will get the production he needs from Coples to make his D #! again!

8. Bills over Jets

What are you talking about? When did I ever say I dont think he can be a star player?

I was mocking you because your post made it look like the guy was going to be a 15 year all pro, while you conveniently ignored the fact that the guy has MAJOR issues/concerns.

9. Playing the 5 gap(3-4 DE) is a unique skill that requires the ability to have quality pad level,leverage, initial punch & anchor. These players typically have a good center of gravity, long arms, a thick build & in a perfect world wingspan to string out the edges & to help anchor. As this is a very specific skill set to find, very rarely are these types agile in the sense that they are anything better than average as pass rushers or factors behind the line of scrimmage in the running game. This is b/c it's hard to find someone with this build that not only has the hip flex but also the foot speed to disengage blocks & explode to the ball carrier.

In layman's terms, it's very rare that you have a play making threat at 34 DE who is a plus player as both a run defender & pass rusher.The Jets now have 2 guys with this potential in Wilkerson & Coples.

What does this mean on the field?

1. "The cause of production"- As Rex said, both Wilk & Coples are so big & athletic that you truthfully can't block either with 1 guy. Not only do they take up space but they have huge wingspans, the skills to get off blocks & the speed to chase you down. What happens when they both are occupying multiple blockers? It's open up space & a one on one match-ups for other defenders.

2. Direct Production-You can't double team them every play.Wilk had 13 TFL's last year. That is sick for a rookie 5 technique. Coples had 15.5 TFL's playing out of position & allegedly "dogging it".If they have the same numbers next year that's almost 30 plus plays for this defense, again, coming from a position that typically gets minimal stat line production

3. The ability to rush 3- Whether we or Rex like it or not, there are game day situations where the best thing to do is rush 3 cover 8. Last year the Jets got literally no pressure on these situations till it finally was no longer a viable option. Team's would double team Wilk & the other rushers stood up & casually pushed backward for the QB to have all day to throw. No longer. A threesome of perhaps Wilk-Dixon-Coples can at the very least push the pocket & string things out.

Don't let the media or Jet haters fool you. Yes, there is risk with every pick. Coples is no sure thing neither is Wilkerson's continued development for that matter. However, if these 2 youngsters play up to their potential, they could be an all time great tandem under Rex.

10. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

I didn't make the post about him, first of all. Secondly, you made it clear you think that because 15 teams passed on him, that somehow diminishes his chances of being a stud player. And that is ridiculous logic.

11. Bills over Jets

No, I didn't. I'll say it slower this time.

Once again, your post made it seem as if this was the best player in the world and he has no flaws. I posted that 15 teams passed on him to show that obviously... there is something wrong with him to cause that.

Has nothing to do with being a stud player or not. Just trying to inject some reality into your "omg he's the best player ever!" post.

12. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Lol once again, since evidently you can't read, i will "say this slower"... I didn't even make the post. Why do you keep referring to a post I didn't even make?

I'm saying that while you think him being optimistic is silly, your logic is downright retarded. Just because other teams passed on him doesn't mean he doesn't have enormous potential.

13. Br4d

Coples was a high quality pick for an attacking 3-4 defense. Will he work out? Who knows. Is his upside much higher than the other people available on 16? Who knows. Does Rex think the answer to both questions was yes? You betcha and that's enough of an answer to make me excited about the pick.

14. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

The first post was pretty obviously a sarcastic dig. The second one sounded like one too but if you were actually being serious then my bad.

15. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the pick, mostly bc I don't like the way UNC kids have been overhyped lately, and then fail to produce at the NFL level (odd for Butch Davis kids, but clearly he lost his mojo)

BUT, schematically Rex is building his 46 defense. The only question is does he see the kid as Dan Hampton or Richard Dent?

While Rex does run his system out of a base 3-4, his roots are the 46, and his TNT front is supposed to be two 3 technique (pass rushing and run stopping, NOT SPACE EATERS) DTs surrounding a mammoth NT.

16. Br4d

Yep. I see 46 in a lot of the moves Rex has made in the last couple of years. He hasn't let go of Eric Smith because Smith is actually a really good player in the fairly limited role that the 46 safety in the box plays. I remember Smith making several big plus plays in 2009 in that role, taking away receptions from TE's and slot receivers the QB was trying to outlet too in panic mode under pressure.

17. Professor Frink

That's an impressive statistic. It doesn't look like NFL.com, Yahoo, or ESPN tracked that, where did you find that number?

18. Br4d

ESPN does track it. I'm assuming the 13 total came from 9 TFL, 3 sacks and 1 safety.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You know, Jerry Rice was picked 16th overall, too. And it's not unheard of for a 34DE to get pressure from time to time...look at Howie Long, or Lee Roy Selmon, or that other guy, you know, Bruce Smith.

20. Good catch. I actually read it on thejetsblog.

The 46 comment is interesting..& that could be exactly what Rex has in mind.