Thoughts on Right Tackle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Apr 27, 2012.

1. You have no concept of player development or what real roster building is all about. Accept it.

The only thing lame is your short sighted view on a subject you clearly have no business discussing. Go play Madden where drafted players immediately play to their potential and the hard work/patience that goes into a football program is replaced by the "Start new season" option. Comparing Ducasse to Newton?! Give me a BREAK!

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

RG I is the answer the dude requires a toll to get around. Should replace Hunter immediately.

3. Montana

Montana Member

He's currently a free agent.

4. The OL is truthfully not the issue it is being made out to be by this board. This is a group that ranked #12 overall among many published grading systems . This despite the disastrous performances against both the Giants & Ravens. This despite a 3 game period in which the unit(and offense’s) best player was out & replaced by a UDFA w/ a week’s experience. And this despite an offensive coordinator who seemed to lose his grasp of what this O-line was built to do around mid way through the season. Now this was easily a top 5 unit from 2008 till 2010.Hell they had 3 guys from it in the pro bowl. That’s an unheard of accomplishment Yes falling to 12 is a tangible concern. But when referencing all of the above, all things considered # 12 is not the disaster many on here make it out to be.

So how are things gonna get better?

Tony Sparano. That’s no disrespect to Bill Callahan who is an O-line genius. Moreso Schottenheimer who forgot that this line was built to run the football. This is a big, mauling offensive line(with the exception of Brick) built for cold weather & the AFC East. They aren’t gonna pass protect for 45 plays a game. Sparano will re-establish what makes this group tick: A stubborn running game with an aggressive play action based passing game mixed in. Firing off the ball, wearing down the defense until it finally gives sometime in the late 3rd qtr.

Now Right Tackle. You dark siders need to finally accept that Ducasse is gonna get his chance at RT. And it’s the right decision. If he can make some progress pre-snap & comfort with the playbook, he has pro bowl ability. Yes you heard me right…PRO BOWL. Why has he struggled so far? Could be a number of reasons. I’ll even throw you darksiders a bone. Let’s say he’s a slow learner or he was more raw coming out than anticipated.Let’s say they drafted him too high. That doesn’t mean he isn’t extremely talented & incapable of developing into a starter.

Take a look at both the Steelers & Giants. They routinely draft long range Oline prospects & allow them to develop in the program. Sometimes it’s not pretty early. But eventually they get the scheme down allowing them to stop thinking & start reacting…once there’s vacancy in the starting 5, they are inserted right in & shortly after earn their starting job. Why can’t this be Vlad? Why can’t Jet fans support him & hope for this? What does calling him a bust accomplish?

5. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Wayne Hunter was an absolute train wreck last year. You expect us to believe that Vlad the piece of crap bust who couldn't beat out
    Hunter should be spoken about in the context of pro bowl ability?

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

As long as we're healthy I think we'll be okay, not elite but okay.

Next years draft we should make our line elite.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Hunter is 31, has been in the league for a while and had his first chance to start at 29... Vlad is 24, has all of the athletic ability to be a great player in this league once his head is wrapped around the playbook. He was declared a PROJECT.

Last offseason was non existent with the lockout, so where was the progression supposed to happen?

Demario Williams wont beat out Bart Scott in all likelihood, but does that mean he sucks and will never exceed what Bart Scott was last year? Fuck no.

Its called development. Especially for someone thats declared a project.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

the dark siders need to wake up and realize that most players need to develop. Vlad needed to develop and he has done so. Vlad is reportedly the strongest player on the team and has been an absolute workhorse in the gym and the classroom for the Jets and that he has dedicated himself to winning this job. He will be the RT which is exactly why they have not felt the need to draft for RT.

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I hope that's true. If only he would be allowed to remove the face guard he could just scare defenders with his ugly mug.

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The Jets better be right on Ducasse. Without drafting an OT, they have a lot banking on him or Howard. If Mangold or Brick ever got hurt, we would be in huge trouble.

11. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Mangold got hurt and yes we were in trouble. Tanny needs to get a little more secure in his picks. Either the guy has it or he doesn't. And if he doesn't get rid of the guy. And if the guy ends up getting signed and doing ok with New England, then fine.

Tanny's resume is good enuff to stand on its own. He's gotta stop with the nit picky crap, while at the same time turning around and not being nit picky elsewhere.

12. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

They better. RT is a big need and a big gamble if they don't address it. Hunter is not going to get any better, and Ducasse is a bust.

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I can't believe the Jets went the entire offseason and didn't even attempt to upgrade the worst RT in the NFL. Mario Williams is licking his chops for this matchup. You'd better put a TE over there and keep a RB in. What a disaster that is going to be all season long.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Ducasse vs Hunter in training camp should be interesting. It almost makes me want another hard knocks. I'll be rooting for Ducasse full force. He's got so much potential, he's just gotta clean up some things and keep his head in the game. One thing is for sure, they'll both be hungry and want a shot at the job. It may just bring out the best in both. Also Ferguson had a worse year than Hunter, but I realize it's partially because of Slauson playing hurt. Ferguson better step it back up this year, no excuses.