Thoughts on Right Tackle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Apr 27, 2012.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Hunter was serviceable two years ago. Decent, even. I hate the fact that they have done nothing, but we had no depth at all last year. Maybe Hunter was hurt, but not hurt enough to be replaced by a stiff? I am grasping at straws here.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I was wondering that same thing, but they came out and said Slauson was hurt at the end of the season so I wonder why they wouldn't mention Hunter.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I agree with the OP and the fact that Sparano will dummy down the blocking schemes is why I think the Jets are willing to give Ducasse another chance. As others have pointed out he is good when he makes contact but his problem was with knowing what his assignments were.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold out for any big acquisitions with Hunter's deal being guaranteed and Ducasse still in the hunt to start.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is Wayne's world ending soon?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...oon?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I really hope Ducasse wins this battle. He's by far the best physical specimen.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think we are too stacked* at RT for the FO to draft someone for that position. We've got three guys already competing for that position and anyone taking from the 6th round onwards would only be another project. I think we'll just have to run with what we have - I suspect safety and special teams will be addressed this evening.

* = admittedly, a stack of shit.

6. tzinc

tzinc New Member

no one would trade for hunter

they can take an ot with a 6th

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

he sucked so bad yet gave up fewer sacks and pressures then BRICK did last year. I know you wanted to include all pertinent data for us to digest.

8. Kentucky Jet

Vlad was seriously hampered by lack of OTA's and mini camps last year. He will receive the full compliment of training this year. While its fashionable for so many fans to be sarcastic when discussing Jets players, they ought to be realistic too. VLAD was drafted as a long term project. He has had some time to learn the position. Maybe his time has come.

9. Kentucky Jet

I get the impression that REX et al are intrigued with tackles AUSTIN HOWARD( 6ft8 and 333) and DENNIS LANDOLT. Every time I hear him talk about the RT position these two kids are always mentioned in a very favorable light. I honestly believe that VLAD will come on this year but he is a natural OG.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I agree. He gets me excited because I've watched him completely destroy guys when he gets his mitts on them - like he's a pro playing in a pop-warner game. Hopefully a full offseason and a man blocking scheme helps him get it mentally.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You my friend can see the forest from the trees, this is a copycat league, the Giants have been using this philosophy for quite some time and twice have beaten the Pats with big plays from their WR's and using 4 down line men to keep Brady under wraps.

After considering this draft and doing some research on the players the Jets drafted and did not draft, I'm happy with this draft.

Sorry, I forgot to address the original thread, I'm sure the Jets will address the RT issue, either by bringing in a RT or by not allowing Wayne Hunter to fend for himself on pass plays, I'm sure the scheme that Soprano uses involves a lot of Max protect to allow time for QB to read the coverage, I saw it myself when Rex tried sending 7 guys on a blitz against Miami and the Dolphins picked up the blitz.

#31 Red Menace, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  12. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Based on info trickling out of the weight room (Cro's tweet), team enthusiasm/preparation level has increased a notch or two.

#32 Remarker, Apr 28, 2012
  13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If the FO wants to impress me, trade our 6th round pick with next years 3rd and get back in the front of the 4th round to get Massie. A third next year is valued as a 4th this year, so its fair and a team should bite.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You have to wonder why Maisse is still there..somebody (many somebodies) know something we don't know.

15. Freeman McNeil

Call it anything you want, but we were piss poor at pass blocking last year and have done nothing to improve. Callahan was one of the best OL coaches in the business, and we were still beyond help.

Also, we couldn't execute on the ground and pound last year, I don't see how we can be successful with the same OL and RBs. Just because we have a rookie WR with speed who can block does not fix the fundamental issue. Nor does Tebow.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Look at it this way.

Last season with Burress slowed by age and unable to get open, and with SB MVP Holmes doubled every snap, it took FOREVER for our down field pass plays to open up. This greatly highlighted our weakness at RT, as Hunter was simply unable to provide Mark with 3-4+ seconds of clean protection every snap.

Bring in Hills. With his 4.3 40 time, Hills will be the fastest player on the field, and will demand over/under coverage. This also means Santonio will see about half the coverage in 2012 that he saw every game in 2011.

Which all means that this year Sanchez can release the ball to an open receiver in under 3 seconds.

Which means Wayne Fricken Hunter will win the come back player of the year award.

#36 Footballgod214, Apr 28, 2012
  17. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Free agency will be the ticket here. Draft was not really strong for OT's. Lets hope we get a replacement.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking we are going to sign some camp casualties from other teams.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It sure would be nice to have that 4th round pick back instead of Tebow now, though , wouldn't it?

20. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

What right tackle?