Chandler Jones @ 16

Discussion in 'Draft' started by dcm1602, Apr 11, 2012.

1. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I was listening to Mike Mayock on the Dan Patrick show this morning and I'm pretty sure he said that he had Jones #9 on his big board. As we all know, he compiles his big board strictly according to game film... so 40 times, bench reps, interviews, etc. do not play into his rankings. Personally, I think that's a good thing. If there are two guys who are neck and neck based on the film, THEN you consider the interview and combine stats- not the other way around.

EDIT- he did say that virtually no one else has Jones as high as he does. For that reason he mentioned that he would be surprised if he went before the early-to-mid 20's. Maybe we could trade back with a team looking to grab Barron, Reiff, or Floyd and pick up an extra second?

#41 duncc5, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Upshaw's stock is falling because he hid from the process for too long. If you have something bad to get out there it's better just to get it out there. In this case that's basically his 40 time, which didn't get nailed down until the Alabama Pro Day on 3/29. 4.81-4.83 wasn't a disaster but the fact that Upshaw didn't run until then made it the focal point of the workout.

The fact that he didn't run at the combine caused a month of speculation about what he was hiding and that speculation began his slide. Then he gained 10 lbs over that month which lead people to give credence to the "he's a tweener" talk coming out of several prominent analysts.

He should have just run at the combine and said "Look, I was a great player in a great defense at Alabama and my intention is to be a great player in a great defense in the NFL."

He might have slid a bit at that point, out of top 10 consideration, but he would have jelled into a mid-teens pick by now, because he was a great player at Bama and he'll probably be very good at the NFL level in the right system and with the right support around him.

Instead he hid and let the analysts define him and now he could easily slide into the mid 20's or even to the top of the 2nd round.

3. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

From the tape, I've seen of him, he reminds of JPP and a little of Aldon Smith. I'm not saying he'll match their production, but the Jets need more of that athleticism on defense, especially the front seven.

I would love to see the Jets get as a first round pick:
    1. Jones
    2. Barron
    3. Brockers
    4. McClellan
    5. Upshaw
    6. Hightower

4. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

In Chandler Jones the Jets are getting a guy who

1. Has the physical tools to be an Elite Pass Rusher with superior NFL coaching

2. An unmatched work ethic, he works out with his brothers in high altitude which means his cardio is off the charts which is why his 40 time is a great indictment of his burst which is phenomenal off the line, imagine him as a 3-4 OLB working in space

Some can say he is a reach but check his numbers compared to Aldon Smith

Jones-6'5-266lbs-35.5in arms-4.87 40-22 reps-35inch vert-120in broad-DNP in 10yrd split
    Smith-6'4-258lbs-35.375in arms-4.74 40-20 reps-34 inch vert-118in broad-1.66 10yrd split

I would have liked to see Jones' 10 yard split which is more indicative for a rush OLB but the dude has almost identical numbers to Smith, with our coaching and his work ethic, I can see 10 sacks next year at best, at least 5

Ingram is more complete which is why I want him but if not I'd take Jones and wont look back

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Wow. I would throw up in my mouth if you got what you want... He doesnt have ANYwhere near the explosion/athletic ability as JPP or Aldon Smith. Dont get caught up in the hype... its a real good juice. He looks like he could be a JPP, but he isnt the athletic freak or passrushing beast he was.

Its funny what a few mocks with him going to the Eagles could make him the #1 choice for some people... smh

6. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Upshaw has a better 40 time, is heavier and looks better on (youtube) tape. I don't really see how Jones's height, arm length and character push him above in draft charts.

7. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

POTENTIAL and CEILING have to be the two most dangerous words when it comes to the NFL Draft. When it comes to family bloodlines in this case, Chandler Jones has vaunted up draft boards as a DE from Syracuse when his production over his college career is no where close to being in the same class as Dwight Freeney, a former alum, who was selected 11th overall back in 2002.

I don't know what game tape Todd McShay is watching but when it is all said and done, this guy will probably not be drafted by the JETS or even go in the first round. I don't think that the JETS want to go through another project of converting a guy to a new position for the most part from DE to OLB again like they did with Vernon Gholston who put up great combine numbers. Even Nick Perry, reminds me of Gholston a little bit because of his combine numbers but USC defensive players have been flourishing in the NFL as of late. Truthfully, Courtney Upshaw would be the perfect fit because he already comes from a 3-4 system and will not have to learn a new position.

8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Idk, I am a big big cuse fan (born in Utica) and it seemed like he could be blocked and taken out of plays very easily against inferior Big East competition. Would love to pick him up and have him excel.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I've only seen the yoputube tapes of him, but what sticks out to me is his size. He is HUGE and strong and athletic. And he could definitely get bigger AND stronger, just judging by his frame. He doesn't look like a killer on the field, which would be my concern. I want my first round picks - at least - to look like they want to hurt people. But he does appear to be a ahrdworker, which is good.

10. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Just want to note it here. I finally got to see some tape and I would take both Jones and McClellin over Upshaw. I expect Ingram to be gone.

11. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I would take Jones and McClellin both over Upshaw. The problem w Upshaw is he appears to already be playing at his ceiling. The player he gets compared to is Woodley, but if you watch the games, Woodley is much superior in pass rush and persuit. Upshaw is a good starter but hard to see him as a player the other team has to game plan for.

12. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

Mayock has Chandler Jones 9th on his top 100

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

The thing with Jones is and i hate to use this word, his ceiling is higher than any other 3-4 OLB in this draft. I wouldnt say raw because he has technique but his frame definitely needs to be filled out a little more, he looks really skinny out there. He has the bloodlines and its key because obviously the whole family is a group of hard workers. I didnt get all the hype at first but its understandable now and itd be ok with Jones at the pick at #16.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

And David DeCastro 22nd... DDC is easily a top 10 player in this draft. Any guard labeled the next Steve Hutchinson doesnt deserve to be ranked 22nd overall. Based on play (and not position), he is probably the best OLman too.

Im not sure how I feel about Mayock’s rankings... to say the least.

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Player X -- 6'4", 258 lbs, 33.25 inch arms, 4.62 40, 37 reps, 33 inch vert, 125 inch broad

and

Want to take any guesses as to the secret identity of Player X?

16. duncc5

duncc5 Member

17. claymation

claymation Member

I want to say Vernon Gholston, however he ran a 4.67 at the combines.

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It is Gholston. The 4.62 was from his pro day, I think.

The point is that there are no sure things when it comes to these pass rushers. I have no problem with people liking Jones, just don't pretend like he can't bust.

I would take Perry 10x over before I took Jones. That is just my personal opinion.

19. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Didn't say he cant bust, this whole draft can bust, but guys act like picking someone else lowers the risk of us picking a bust

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

So every player has the same chance at being a bust? Andrew Luck has the same chance to bust as Kellen Moore? David DeCastro has the same chance to bust as Cordy Glenn?

The fact is, is that picking a different player DOES lower the risk of them busting.