What's your Top 32 Board for 2012 ?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Apr 5, 2012.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yep.

He is my favorite defensive linemen in this draft. He is somebody that I think is a lot better than the opinions he presently gets. I truly feel his only weakness is his injury concerns and he doesn't play into the low leverage game very well.

With the proper coaching I think he can be a complete monster on any team.

He was a consistent penetrating wall for Penn State. A very strong man with a big competitive bone in his body. He doesn't quit, high motor, loves the game.

I also think he is the best run defender in this entire draft, he is my number one 4-3 tackle in this draft. I also think he would be very successful as a 3-4 end.

There is so much I just love about this kid as a player, I could go on even further.

His potential is off the charts when I've watched him play, I have watched him play and just felt like he was a top 10 talent at certain times. When he puts it together he has shown flashes of brilliance to me, if he can be coached up to consistently shine like his potential indicates, he is going to be a huge steal for some team.

That's my opinion though. For what it's worth. :)

2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure anybody can just copy paste this very post, (including the above quotes of course) and refer to Johnny's 3 posts for the answer to any draft-strategy related question. Experts might tweak the percentages a few percent one way or another depending on their personal taste or expectations of falling players, but this pretty well sums it up.

My posts are basically trying to create an F.A.Q. list on the Jets' draft. The replies serve as the italicized "answer" portion if it were presented in that format. It worked out quite well I think.

Quite impressed by your answers overall. Definitely cemented a few concepts for me. Coples is well worth our pick despite what the many detractors say. Kirkpatrick has immense FS value.

I couldn't agree with you more about your #16 selection. I actually started that exact thread a couple weeks back, asking whether we should consider a trade up for Brockers.

In reality, selecting Brockers at #16 essentially means you'd be willing to trade up for him, (in certain circumstances) in my view. The justifications for this thinking are well covered by Johnny's answers.

If Brockers and Tannehill are the most valuable commodities on the board, we should trade back rights to Tannehill and take BPA next time around. But Tannehill will be taken. So we should go with Upshaw or Hightower in most scenarios.

Brockers is the odd man out. We never have to truly answer the question of "fuck, should I really take this guy?" because we should always end up sneaking out the back-door with a trade back before we get pinned down to an answer. He's the guy that could explode and get the SOJF flamers cursing Tanny's name for not pulling the trigger. Or he could be disappointing and with our our 3-4 we would feel like we dodged an atomic fucking bomb by looking elsewhere. He's the guy that our pick really should buy.

But Tannehill must afford us the escape route we were looking for regardless of circumstance. Either he gets picked and we get a shot at our LB. Or he doesn't and we get to trade back.

Often the BPA is the most desirable option. Sometimes though, you've gotta go cash in your asset to the highest bidder. This is obviously one of those times.

Don't believe me? Ignore everything I've written above. Now ask yourself only this:

Who is the only player on Johnny's 1-16 list that you would hesitate to select at all?

The answer to this question shows the terrific accuracy of the list, and the corresponding opinions of its author.

Then ask who besides Tannehill is likely to go in the top 16 beneath 17 on JTJ's list? Nobody, besides 1 overvalued DT.

What other list meets these fundamental criteria?

Nobody's.

Besides which, Brockers is likely to be taken by the time #16 is called anyway.

This just answers the "what if" question for Brockers, and thereby all, potential falling prospects. It also answers "what if not" if everybody selects the best players in front of us.

Perhaps most importantly, it shows us who we should take if 1-15 do not select all of those players accordingly as one would expect.

Yep, that's our draft.

#22 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. PolygamyWinsChampionships

By the way....I was super giddy when it occurred to me that I figured out a scenario to make even the staunchest Sanchez supporter admit that they would potentially have to trade up to bring in his replacement this year.

I didn't know you're Sanchez fanboy #1. No surprise though. Any highly knowledgeable football observer should be very high on Sanchez right now. You obviously have a very good mind for the game so I didn't expect you to have any other opinion. Still I got you to admit that you'd trade up to get rid of him in a couple short weeks.

Nailed it.

But you had to be thrifty only moving up a spot or two. Honorable attempt to save a little pride. Also good work not taking the bait on DeCastro. If he isn't the answer at RT if necessary, (and preferably the answer at G as well) we shouldn't be trading up.

Also want to point out the correct ordering on 3-5. Which position is, by far, the deepest this year? WR. Every year the most productive WR from a draft class goes on to have one of the most valuable careers of any player in the draft.

How likely does that make it that the top WR prospect in the draft wouldn't be seen in the top 3 or top 4 at the most? Not very.

Richardson is a freaky freak, but he's still an HB. BPA is all about absolute value. Just like this board.

That's all for now. Good game, sir.

#23 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 15, 2012
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No, but I've been moving and find posting any thing too in depth on my iPad annoying as hell. :)

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I would quote your post 74Mangold but it would be enormous hahaha. Its like you made a thread in a post.

Anyway, I appreciate the compliments, its awesome to see what I teach myself and learn about everyday is paying off.

I realized in one of my posts I messed up and said Martin is a good selection at 16, I meant to say Adams (miniscule, I know, but I want to make sure I am clear on everything).

The Luck thing was interesting, I see where you went there. The only thing I did say, which you probably caught, was I would trade up for him, but to only draw a kings ransom. Sanchez is my QB, I'd rather get picks to build around him than throw him away to get Luck.

Using my information as an F.A.Q. is awesome. Although, I dont want to insult others on here since their opinions are 100% valid.

If you have anymore questions or curiosity about anything go ahead and ask, it was fun answering those questions.

Again, its awesome to see someone appreciates what I have to say, I am all about contributing to this forum, and the more I can help to clear things up or answer the hard questions, the better.

Thanks 74Mangold.

#25 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 15, 2012
  6. JohnnyThaJet

Haha oh trust me I stick to either my phone or Macbook. Trying to post on an IPad is damn near impossible.

7. JohnnyThaJet

Are you sure its not just that Big Ten bias? :smile:

The more I watch Still the more intrigued I get. He's such a powerful kid and excellent tackler but when I watch him he just seems inconsistent.

One game he'll rack up 2.5 sack and the next he'll barely get a tackle.

Maybe I am being too critical but I just want too see more.

He can be great in the NFL, he just needs more time than these others do, IMO.

#27 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 15, 2012
  8. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Thanks. I know. Sometimes I'm just too creative, it's hard to be someone as amazing as me. It's true.

Of course your opinion isn't the only definitive answer, or even necessarily the "right" one when we have the luxury of 5 years of history to look back with.

What your opinion is, is sharp. You're one of the few posters on here that consistently makes me go "huh...oh...yeah...that makes sense doesn't it?" when I'm reading your opinions. Not much bullshit, just the right opinion for the right reasons.

Obviously not saying it because I think you're a carbon copy of me or I need to shower everybody with praise. I think it's pretty clear that I tend towards the more dramatic with my posting style and am definitely always looking to learn a little more about the hard questions and interesting topics. You're just one of the few people that I feel I can take your opinion at face value when I notice you commenting on such a subject of interest. That deserves some recognition imo.

Thought a 10,000 word back and forth might be an interesting way of bringing that about.

Just a couple of little dissentful comments at the end lest I get seen as too much of a fanboy by you or anyone else.

I think a strong case could be made for bumping Perry up anywhere from 1-4 slots.

I mean you have Ingram 13, Hightower 14, Upshaw 15.

I'm not 100% convinced that the gap between all 3 of those LB's (the gap between Ingram at 13 to Upshaw at 15. Maaaaaaybe even the gap between 13-14 or 14-15) is even bigger than the gap between Upshaw at 15 and Perry at 21.

Kid is the purest pass rusher in the draft by all rights as well. Still I see where you're coming from putting him where you did.

Last piece of dissent, I don't necessarily buy trading up for Luck to just pawn him back off. Then you're just a middleman pirate trying to make some commision off of the underbidder who is most certainly going crazy with despair after watching the Jets get him and then go through buyer's remorse trying to resell him.

You're only going to net a small profit after all of the shit you're going to have to give up to move up that 1 or 2 slots. If anything at all. Besides that. If someone is going to trade up for him for that princely sum right behind you anyway...why the fuck didn't they just outbid you when you traded up in the first place? Their pockets are obviously deeper for Luck anyway.

The only logical reason is that we gave up a commodity that they weren't able to match. Probably not Revis crazy. But it damn sure could be a Cromartie. You're not just going to fence Luck back off for a small profit and adequately replace the resource/s you gave up with anything leftover to show for it.

Once you trade up for him, he's bought and paid for. Dead money in Sanchez just isn't a really good argument. We had all that money dead, and we invested all this extra just now for a single Qb pick that we didn't even need. It's dead money because it's dead no matter what you do.

Chances are you can fence Sanchez off for a pretty tidy ransom at this point anyway. You can't pass up a chance to get the best example of the new NFL Qb prototype to ever come out of college for a guy that maybe probably is like a top 5/top 10 Qb if you give him a couple years to get to his prime and the creek don't rise.

It can't happen. But if it did I'd shed a single tear and play this song:

[YOUTUBE]gproa6vzgws[/YOUTUBE]

9. Sir

Sir New Member

1. Andrew Luck
    2. Trent Richardson
    3. Robert Griffin III
    4. Morris Claiborne
    5. Matt Kalil
    6. David DeCastro
    7. Luke Kuechly
    8. Michael Floyd
    9. Justin Blackmon
    10. Fletcher Cox
    11. Riley Reiff
    12. Melvin Ingram
    13. Nick Perry
    14. Quentin Coples
    15. Mark Barron
    16. Dontari Poe
    17. Cordy Glenn
    18. Stephon Gilmore
    19. Dont'a Hightower
    20. Dre Kirkpatrick
    21. Courtney Upshaw
    22. Kendall Wright
    23. Peter Konz
    24. Michael Brockers
    25. Janoris Jenkins
    26. Mike Adams
    27. Kendall Wright
    28. Devon Still
    29. Josh Robinson
    30. Doug Martin
    31. Kevin Zeitler
    32. Whitney Mercilus

Im particularly low on a mostly consensus top 5-6 player..