For argument sake!!! Outside the Box Thinking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Apr 3, 2012.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Huh? When have I ever said anything about Reggie Bush?

Reggie has all the talent in the world. Kid just cant stay healthy.

No one in our backfield has even half the talent Reggie does, and Greene has a hard time staying healthy...

You make it out like our OL is the worst in the league; like they couldnt block anyone...We had injuries all over the OL- Slauson playing with one arm and Mangold not 100% so our run game took a major hit. Add in an incompetent RT and there you go. Those injuries should be healed and back to 100% come next season.

The FO seems to be content with letting Ducasse compete for the RT spot, and with the new blocking scheme, he could be very good in the run game (his strength).

Runners like Forte, AP, MJD, Lynch and even Reshard Mendenhall when healthy all put up numbers with offensive lines worse than the Jets. Trent Richardson is the best prospect since AP and would make this offensive line and team better instantly- he would make the biggest impact on this team out of anyone in this draft. We wont have to worry about that, though he’s not making it past 6.

2. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Cleveland needs a playmaker for McCoy to throw to, and I think they go Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd. I also don't believe Cleveland will pick at 4 though. My opinion, they trade back.

Tampa doesn't make any sense to me. They had the lowest rushing attempts in 2011 (Why waste a top 5 pick), and gave up 2500 yards rushing last year (Most in NFL). Their new Head coach (former Defensive Coordinator) will want to fix that DL. IMO

After that, we could be in the clear if no other trades. New England will probably try and trade up to take him though. Keep him out of green and white.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

?

Are you new to football ? The Pats trading up for TRich ? They have like 5 rbs, 2 newly drafted early. And they always trade down and desp need defense. He would cost them 2 firsts a 2nd, and maybe more. This is just as bad as us giving two firsts for RR.

And the browns need a hb as bad as a wr. Tampa also loves him. Id be SHOCKKKKKKED if both teams passed

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Sarcasm!!!!

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

They may reach on Tannehill... makes more sense than Blackmon imo. Tannehill isn’t elite, but he is a good prospect and getting a QB that has potential to be a franchise QB is more important than a RB.

Also, Tampa does make some sense, primarily because of Schianno and how he loves a feature back. But I think they should draft an RB in round 2 or 3 and draft Mo Claiborne. An unnoticed detail that could push them towards drafting Claiborne over TR is that they hired LSU’s defensive backs coach as their own defensive backs coach.

Both teams have expressed a ton of interest in him... I would be shocked if he makes it to 6 to, but crazier things have happened. RB’s have been somewhat devalued in the draft and they have big needs at other positions too.

I looked at the Browns and Bucs forums and both are split on who they would take... Both really like Mo Claiborne a lot.

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

You guys seem to be forgetting St. Louis in this scenario. Particularly if the Browns take Blackmon, and the Bucs take Claiborne, I think that the rams would be likely to take T-Rich. jackson has a lot of tread on the tires. getting somebody for him to split carries with is imperative in order to extend his lifespan. In addition, he has only 2 years left on his deal, and he could be cut without a major cap hit in 2013 if Richardson is ready to take over (a virtual certainty IMO). I really believe the only shot he makes it to 7 (much less us at 16) is if the Browns take Tannehill.

7. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

If the Jets don't draft a pass rusher in round one, I might as well not watch any of the games this season at all.

8. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Man S. Greene gets no love from us fans. Besides not getting the ball, he had good numbers overall. I don't mind ppl saying his hands are not great, and is not the fastest rb, but to say a rookie coming is going to be better than him? Cmon!

Sure its possible for a rookie to produce but is it probable? To me Greene is a # 1 back on many teams, to think when the defense knows the offense can't pass, they cheat on the run but Greene still manages to produce good yardage. Greene seems to have health concerns but seemed to produce better in the late part of the season.

If Greene works on his catching, he is a borderline pro bowler...

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont think we have forgetten about STL, but more concerned with the Browns and Bucs. I think STL has bigger needs than RB, but if he’s there, he is most likely BPA.

Tannehill can really be the most important person in this draft for us. If Cleveland reaches for him at 4, things could fall into place... Tampa getting Claiborne and STL getting Blackmon, thats our ideal scenario.

Greene is not a #1 back on 90% of the teams in the NFL. Look at Carolina- they have 3 backs that I would prefer over Greene... And they arent even a team that relies on the run.

Greene is not a #1 back. He can do some damage late in the game, but he isnt really that much of a bruiser. He doesnt break that many tackles, has bricks for hands and cant pass protect.

I really like Greene as a #2 RB. But I really done like him as a #1 on a ground and pound team.

There’s 4 RBs in this draft that I think at minimum can share carries with Greene. BTW, have you ever seen Trent Richardson??? The guy is the real deal. Best RB since AP and YES, he can come in day 1 and be twice the back Greene is.

10. azhar80

Everything sounds great except you are basing everything on college vs nfl. S. Greene was a great college back too don't forget, and there is no such thing as a real deal/sure fire starter or quality rb, its all potential.

You can't say any college/nfl rb would be better than Greene bcuz they play with diff offenses. Greene does have brick hands, but blocks well enough, and breaks tackles had over a 1000 yards rushing when defenses were specifically focused on stopping him!

Greene and Keller had the best numbers on offense and we should replace them?

I like both rbs in Carolina but I won't say they'd be more effective than Greene. To say that Panthers were not a running team is not valid bcuz their qb can run on any given play.

To say Greene is a 4th quarter/closer with the numbers he put up is baseless... He averages over 4 yards a carry, 1000 yards on a offense that can't pass the ball over 5 yards! And 90% of rbs in the nfl are better?

Grass is GREENEr on the other side for sure...

#70 azhar80, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its called evaluating a player... And Greene hasnt panned out as well as the organization has hoped, because he isnt a feature back.

So AP, McCoy, Foster, Gore, Rice, Jonathan Stewart, Sproles, Turner, Lynch, Charles, MJD, CJ2k ect. arent better than Greene because they play in different offenses? You honestly can’t believe that? Just watch the tape, Greene isnt that special of a back and isnt the workhorse we need.

90% may have been an exaggeration, but I dont think he would be the #1 back on on 75% of the teams in the NFL.

I go through them for ya-

AFC east- NE- Greene, BUF- Jackson or Spiller, MIA- Bush

AFC north- PIT- Mendenhall if healthy, BAL- Rice, CIN- push, Browns- Greene

AFC south- IND- Greene, HOU- Foster and Tate, JAX- MJD, TEN- CJ2K

AFC west- KC- Charles and Hillis, DEN- Greene/maybe push, OAK- DMC, SD- Matthews

NFC east- NYG- Bradshaw, PHI- McCoy, DAL- Murray, Wash- Greene/maybe push (like Helu upside)

NFC north- GB- Greene, MIN- AP, CHI- Forte and Bush, DET- Greene/push when Best is healthy

NFC south- TB- push, Car- Stewart, Williams and Tolbert, NO- Sproles and Ingram, ATL- Turner

NFC west- STL- Jackson, SF- Gore, SEA- Lynch, ARI- push

So thats the way I see it, not too good for a ground and pound team.

#71 laxin, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  12. azhar80

Yes I do believe that and I do think some of the backs you mentioned are more productive for their teams... But to say he isn't a work horse, and featured back for this team is puzzling bcuz all the coaches think Greene is the ideal rb for this team. Against the Giants for example our run game was going good but the passing game was horrendous, besides the poor passing Greene and the oline have run well.
    But we know better...
    Also take some of those backs from their offensive systems and put them in our offense they would not be as productive, and if you don't think that then I don't know what to say.

When our passing game is close to nothing defenses focus on our running game, however Greene still manages to produce with 8 men the box waiting to greet him. Once our passing game clicks the running game will be so much more effective.

Id rather draft a d lineman, wr, safety (maybe 2), Punter...

Id rather get a LT from free agency, as we already have the backups...

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

With that logic, no one should be able to rank or rate anyone in the league. I mean Chad Henne is as good as Tom Brady with this logic, they just play in different offenses, correct?

If you cant see that Greene is a true #1 back, then its not really worth it.

14. azhar80

Fine my final post regarding this, I appreciate your insight (no sarcasm)... How is Greene not a #1 Back? His YPC, rushing yards indicate he is...

Check this out:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards

To me this shows we do not appreciate Greene enough, our prob is not #1 rb but #2 consistent rb. Also this was Greene first year as #1 rb, and ranked #13 in the NFL in rushing yards. To say 90% or 75% teams would not employ greene as their #1 is wrong in my opinion. He is close to the top 10 rb's than he is bottom 10 back in the league. I think we were disappointed after his playoff performance but that line, and passing game was much better.

Finally IF our passing game improves, and makes the defense play more balanced then ultimately Greenes numbers will def improve.

Thanks

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Just through what is seen, has Greene ever really stood out and “wowed” you? He hasnt really wowed me ever... He isnt dynamic at all and will not ever be a game changer. He is labeled a bruiser because of his size, but he doesnt break many tackles (in 2010, he had 201 touches and only broke 10 tackles, which is 5% of his touches, which ranks 8th lowest out of all RB’s). His longest run all last season was 31 yards. That right there shows that he isnt explosive, isnt a threat to take it the distance and he wont create game changing plays.

And as to your link, if AP, DMC, Forte, Murray, Fred Jackson finished the season, or Ben Tate Jonathan Stewart and Bradshaw received enough touches, they would have finished well above Greene.

Top 10 backs can create offense by themselves and make plays/produce with out a great supporting cast. Greene cant do that and will never be a top 10 back.

Oh, and keep in mind that Greene is going to be 27 starting next season and his contract is up after next year. So whether you like it or not, RB is a need. Because of Greene’s destructive running style (hurts himself more than defenders), giving him a decent contract and relying on him isnt the smartest thing. IMO, to keep him at his highest potential (when he is a #2 back or at least sharing carries), I think addressing RB is a very smart idea.

16. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

you link ranks him 35th in ypc.

17. azhar80

That's great, he is tied with M. Lynch, and better than Cedric Benson!
    Also how many fumbles did Greene have? Where does he rank in the fumble category amongst the rbs with over 200 carries?

Blair Thomas averaged 5 ypc his first year, def a starter on your fantasy team. Thanks for pointing that out.

#77 azhar80, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  18. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I still beleive that Cleveland trades down, and most likely for someone who wants Tannehill. (Miami?) I still beleive that Tampa goes defensive line.

I agree though St. Louis makes sense with Richardson, but if Claiborne is there he is almost a certainty IMO.

19. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Most teams won't spend one first round pick on a rookie tailback. Spending two for a guy who's already halfway through his career (although Rice is only 25) is right out. Just isn't worth it. You could trade those same two picks for Trent Richardson if you want and get a superior talent with his entire career still ahead of him, and you wouldn't have to hand him the giant unmatchable contract to go with it.

I think the Jets will seriously consider adding a tailback early in the draft. As a Hokie fan, I'm sincerely hoping they add David Wilson, who I think has the talent and the demeanor to be a real star at the position. Greene just hasn't shown he can do enough with the ball to be handed it 25 times a game, and while Joe McKnight is an elite athlete, there hasn't been much sign of him developing into a complete runner. Powell was a headscratcher last year who makes no more sense to me now.

The Jets need a complete back who can lead the team in big plays made if they're going to have the identity that Rex Ryan wants, and no, I don't think we have a back like that on the roster. But I don't think it'll be Ray Rice.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Shouldn't we see what Powell is capable of? He may be that 2nd back this team is missing.