Alright, I give. Tebow is already a giant pain in the ass. I think I hate him.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 3, 2012.

1. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Me learn football? This coming from a guy who really thinks Tebow is a great QB. You have ur opinion about him so ill leave it at that.

2. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Yeah this is coming from someone that can actually back up his opinions with actual football logic and terminology other than "he's garbage". But if broadening your knowledge and understanding of football is too much, then learn history.

In 2006, John Fox ran the read option in the final games of the 2006 regular season with quarterback Chris Weinke and running back Deangelo Williams. He got the idea from the Atlanta Falcons who, along with Michael Vick, copied West Virginia spread offense read option. Forget the Wildcat, or the spread option. The read option, something Tebow can run with his eyes closed, is a very limited variation in comparison. In 2006, the Miami Dolphins were 1-15. Tony Sporano, in Miami at the time, saw what Fox did, and copied and decided to implemented the following year in Miami. They went 11-5 and made the playoffs.

You need to learn there's more about quarterbacks than dropback quarterbacks, skewed completion percentages and choice highlight reels on ESPN and then maybe, hopefully, you will stop making such simple minded troll-like comments, like Tebow is garbage.

3. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

You need to stop rewriting history to fit your Tebot fantasies.
    • Miami went 1-15 in 2007 NOT 2006.
    • Tony Sparano became Miami HC in 2008.
    • David Lee, hired by Miami in 2008 as an asst coach, was the inventor of the wild cat back in his tenure as a collegiate coach. He's the guy who brought the wild cat to Miami and to the NFL not Sparano.
    • Miami didn't go 11-5 in 2008 because of the wild cat. They went 11-5 because the Jests released Chad Pennington when they traded for Brett Favre, and Miami scooped him up.
    :lol:

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

LOL! Speaking rewriting history. The Phins had to run the wildcat to disguise Pennington's MANY limitations at QB, they don't sniff the playoffs without that innovation.

5. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

It doesn't change the fact that Pennington was better than any QB the Fins had. For that matter, he was a better QB than any of the Jets current QBs.

The Jets made the playoffs every year Penney was healthy for most of the season, beginning in 2002 when he took over a moribund offense from Vinnie T and put some spark in it. If he had had as good a team in 2004 or so as Sanchez had in 2009 or 2010, the Jets would have made the Super Bowl IMO.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

And let's not forget what happened to Miami when they faced the Ravens in the wildcard game. They got slaughtered.

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Which every Jets fan knew was going to happen against that BAL defense.

8. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sorry I'm late to the parade... but this says it all. Close the thread. It's Sanchez's job to lose regarless of Tebowmania.

9. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Yeah it was 2007. And lol @ David Lee being the "inventor" of the wildcat. Ever heard of Bill Snyder, Brian Billick, Dan Henning, Randal Cunningham, David Palmer or Chris Chandler? They, and many others, all ran it way before David Lee even came into the NFL. And that was just in the NFL. It's been around for a long time and nobody really knows who "invented" it. And Sporano hired David Lee because he had experience with it in college, but it wasn't David Lee that brought it to the NFL. That's ridiculous when I watched the Panthers run it with my own eyes before he ever stepped foot in the NFL. The Panthers ran it extensively at the end of 2006 under offensive coordinator Dan Henning. He went to Miami along with David Lee and Tony Sporano. So I'm not sure how David Lee "brought it" to the NFL when it was being run long before he stepped foot in the NFL.

Anyway, the point is it was very effective in the NFL with the right type of quarterback, and even the wrong type of quarterback, and it's only the tip of the ice burg of what you can do with the spread option and Tim Tebow who is the ideal quarterback to run it.

PS: Most of the innovation in formations and in football don't take place in the NFL or college. Most of them take place in high school and somebody with enough pull and job security rips them off and gets the credit for it. See the spread offense and many other offensive philosophies.

#149 whichfan, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  10. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Sparano was in Miami at what time?

11. VanderbiltJets

No one believes this to be true.

12. whichfan

whichfan New Member

It was 07/08, not 06/07. Mistake on my part because Carolina did it at the end of 2006. And lots of people believe it to be the case.

13. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

whichfan, i'm sure you're a decent fellow, an upstanding citizen. You joined theganggreen last month, have 287 posts and are obviously TiT's #1 fan. I hope you have a happy and healthy life and I wish you the best. I also hope you lose your fingers so i don't have to read the crap you post on this board ever again.

Welcome to the forum, now get the fuck out!
    :jets:

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I am a huge proponent of using Occam's Razor , specifically when conducting certain business negotiations and wondering what angle is being taken by the opposing side (It really works no doubt about it, anyone reading this that does not know what it is please look it up).

I really believe that you can also say that the simplest explanation is that he makes the team better for a 4th round pick. The marketing and PR stuff is waaay more complicated than the previous statement. The merchandising, marketing, PR explanation has layers of complexity in my opinion.

#154 CowboysFan, Apr 6, 2012
  15. whichfan

whichfan New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#155 whichfan, Apr 6, 2012
  16. VanderbiltJets

Despite your assertion, anger and frustration are caused by many different reasons other than jealousy and intimidation.

17. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

FWIW, with regards to the Wildcat:

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_formation#National_Football_League

18. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Yeah, I know. Like I said, it's not a new concept and it dates further back than even that. Like I said, the concept is older than dirt. But you have to look outside Wikipedia.

Look familiar?
    [YOUTUBE]3FmoT1RKPhs[/YOUTUBE]

Football is and has always been an evolving sport and the offenses and strategies designed have been just as much about the talent and players you had, as it was about the vision of the coaches. The term "conventional NFL offense" only came about because of stagnation, especially at the quarterback position where NFL players became athletic freaks at every other position EXCEPT quarterback. But even then there was hardly such a thing and there were probably multiple different "conventional NFL offenses" running all with some sort of variation to take advantage of the players they have. The wildcat is just a formation anyway, and when you plan on using it extensively, you're not just going to run the wildcat. You're going to run the spread option or some other variation. Tebow's most likely going to run the spread option here and will, at times, run the wildcat out of the spread option. The Wildcat, is far too limited to run for an entire season for 20 snaps a game and definitely limits Tebow.

And chances are if Sporano has any innovation in him, he will go beyond that. Because Tim has an inherent advantage over any other NFL dual russ/pass QB with his running style and durability.

Even with guys like Newton, there are certain things the Panthers are very careful about implementing because of the way he runs. With Vick, RG3, and Young, they're even more careful. They still have to take the safety of their QB into consideration. You don't have to be as cautious with Tebow, because while he may have not learned how to pass like a pure pocket passer, he did learn how to run like a full back.

#158 whichfan, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

If I were making an ESPN top plays list of Big Blockerisms, this post would be in the running for #1. With you that's saying something.

This is pure poetry. It's a fairy tale. How can it be? You reference Occam's Razor out of the clear blue sky, and then you go on to claim that by far the most complicated explanation is in fact the simplest one. The perfect opposite of what you were claiming. I'm giggling through and through.

"Big Blocker" - (Verb.) To think your head is your ass.

20. Slap

Slap New Member

You're living in Fantasyland. Tebow's durability enabled him to last an entire 13 games before New England injured him and ended his season. Wilfork and Ninkovich left him with an injured right shoulder, torn rib cartilage and the ever popular bruising around his lung. There's no way he would have played in the AFC championship game if the Broncos would have advanced and God knows what Baltimore would have done to him in that game.

Of course, advancing another week wasn't a possibility, largely because Tebow was 9-26 for 136 yards and a fumble against New England. He managed 13 yards on five carries. This against a defense that finished 18th and points allowed and 31st in yardage allowed. A team that allowed a staggering 4703 yards passing, also 31st in the league.

Running through a defensive back in the open field doesn't mean you're a fullback. That position is thankless enough without this ridiculous comparison. Pound for pound, fullbacks are generally among the physically toughest men on any football team. Tebow wouldn't last three weeks doing all the dirty work required of that job.

Instead of churning out 18 posts a day of breathless fanboy fantasies, why don't you consider calming the fuck down?