Hayden Smith 3 down TE. NY Post

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/tight_squeeze_7VkC8O5veoQ6Ri9Rj39wrO

[​IMG]

Rugby player Smith offers Jets potential as tight end
    Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 6:58 PM, April 5, 2012

Posted: 1:20 AM, April 5, 2012
    More Print

When Tim Brewster got the call in February, he was not sure what to expect. Sports agent Jack Bechta phoned the longtime football coach to ask him if he would be willing to train one of his new clients.

Bechta explained this client was a rugby player interested in playing football and Brewster had met him years before: Hayden Smith.

When Brewster heard the name he remembered an Australian basketball player at Metro State in Denver when Brewster was a Broncos assistant. Smith was a gangly 6-foot-6 and 220 pounds when Brewster first met him. So when he got off the plane in San Diego to work with Smith and saw him, he was shocked.

“I said, ‘Wow, this kid is an absolute physical specimen,’ ” Brewster, a college football analyst for Fox Sports, said. “He’s 6-foot-6. He’s 265 pounds. He doesn’t have an ounce of fat on his body. He’s very athletic.”

Brewster spent a week in California working with Smith, an aspiring tight end, doing drills and classroom work to teach him football. This week, the Jets agreed to a three-year contract with Smith, taking a chance that Brewster’s pupil can turn into an NFL player.

“Based on my being with the kid for a week and knowing what I know, there’s zero reason why he’s not going to play for the New York Jets,” Brewster said. “He could be an outstanding player in the National Football League.”

Brewster has spent five years as an NFL assistant and was most recently the head coach at the University of Minnesota. He is credited with helping Antonio Gates transform from basketball player to Pro Bowl tight end during his time with the Chargers.

Smith presented Brewster with an interesting challenge. The Australian became a rugby player after his college days, playing first for the U.S. national team and then professionally in England.

Brewster put him through two practice sessions per day in San Diego, running routes and catching passes from Chiefs quarterback Ricky Stanzi. He also had daily weight-training sessions and then classroom time at night when Brewster would test Smith.

“I threw a ton of stuff at this kid,” Brewster said. “What immediately got my attention is he’s a one-time learner. He gets it. Football makes sense to the kid. He was able to carry what I taught him in the classroom setting to the field. That’s a great indicator of a guy’s ability to intellectually handle what you’re trying to get done.”

As for Smith’s toughness, Brewster said you can’t question someone who has played rugby on an elite level. Smith can take a hit. Brewster said he spoke with the Redskins, Eagles and Cowboys about Smith before he signed with the Jets.

“All those people wanted Hayden,” Brewster said. “But the Jets stepped up and he felt really good about [head coach] Rex Ryan. He loved his meetings with Rex Ryan. He loved his attitude, his temperament. He really felt like he connected with Rex Ryan.”

There will be some growing pains, Brewster acknowledges. Getting used to the tempo of the game will be difficult. But Brewster said he believes Smith has the ability and desire to be on the Jets’ roster when the season begins in September.

“It’s not going to happen overnight for him,” Brewster said. “I would love to coach the kid. He’s got every single tool that you’re looking for in a National Football League tight end — excellent hands, the big body. I really feel like this guy has a chance to be a true three-down tight end in the National Football League.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/tight_squeeze_7VkC8O5veoQ6Ri9Rj39wrO#ixzz1rGPuBFyh

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Horrible awful move... end of the franchise... how will Keller ever become the #1 TE in football having to look over his shoulder at this guy?

3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Keller is already on his way up, we all know how good he his right now and he's just getting better.
    This guy is just a raw talent right now, Keller wont even know he's there.

Good read.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

First time Keller drops a pass or trips in the open field, the fans are going to start with the "Roooooo!" chants for the Aussie. No way that doesn't get in Keller's head.

5. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

I doubt it. This guy might not even make the team. Has he ever even played football, even in college?

Besides, any "Rooooo!" chants will be drowned out by "Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!"

6. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Guys.....they're mocking the Tebow trade.
    LOL!

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets do not realize the insanity they are bringing to Florham Park with SmithMania. They have seen it from a far, but to actually experience it, they won't be prepared. And like some have already said, I just feel bad for Dustin Keller.

8. Remarker

Remarker Banned

I wanted the Jets to get Aaron Hernandez on their roster. No more!!!

BOOM!!! BOOM!!! The Jets sound like the space shuttle returning to earth.

#8 Remarker, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Seriously, now we're going to be flooded with hundreds of annoying Aussies on this board now.

10. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see if this guy pans out.

11. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Smith/Keller has the potential to be better than Hernandez/Gronkowski.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The "edit ratings" feature in Madden is wonderful.

13. Footballgod214

Smith will be the starting TE by game 4

14. Footballgod214

just curious if anyone knows if Smith is the white dude or the black dude in that picture?

15. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I remember the Ben Grahamania that washed over this board back in Aught Six. Fuckin shrimp everywhere.

16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

My only regret is that Smith's "The Choice" TV slot where he announced that he was joining the Jets over the San Antonio Talons wasn't shown prime time on Lifetime Real Women.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this is what happens when your owner is more concerned about selling Jets apparel in Australia than fielding a Super Bowl team.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

both

ericsmithfiller

19. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Rex is gonna start munching on [​IMG]

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

What next? Yahoo Serious doing on field interviews at halftime?

Being Virgin is going to give away free tickets to Tebow as long as he stays one why not get Qantas to give away a free flight everytime this guy catches a TD?