Very Interesting Take on Tebow from Denver Fan Forum

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Big Blocker, Apr 4, 2012.

1. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I don't really see how this is good for Sanchez, unless it lights the fire we didn't seem to see last year.

It'll either make his stronger, or end his career with the Jets.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree. I think pretty much everybody sees it that way around here, whatever else one thinks of the situation.

The hard part for Jet fans to figure out is what the people running the team are thinking. How do you make sense of extending Sanchez's contract, then trading for Tebow, then saying Mark is definitely the starter, then do all the other things that are going on like that ridiculous press conference?

It just doesn't make much sense. There's no coherence to it. Or not very much, anyway.

Not being a Sanchez Fan myself, my real concern is the worst case scenario.

The worst case scenario is Sanchez in fact does fall flat on his face, with the calls for Tebow ringing in his ears. With his contract guaranteed for two years, putting in Tebow at some point in the coming season runs the great risk not only of making Sanchez worthless in 13, but also runs down any trade value he might otherwise have.

Then Tebow comes in and fails as well.

Now the Jets have all this cap space dedicated to two failed Qb's, both of whom (under this scenario) would have virtually no trade value.

The Jets would then have to cut one or both, probably both, and the cap takes a big hit. Then what? They draft another rookie Qb next year?

They could be in the crapper for years as a result of this situation.

Maybe it would encourage Woody to sell the team, though. It's not all bad.

3. catfish

catfish New Member

one could actually argue that of the 2nd year QB's Colt McCoy was the most successful. Interesting how perception skews reality IMO

4. catfish

catfish New Member

I am honestly curious as to why you would feel Bradford was the better QB last year? I admit I didn't watch Bradford play much and base my analysis strictly on statistics, so if there is something I am missing I am open to revise my opinion. Looking strictly at the stats Tebow and Bradford performed pretty comparably taking just passing into account

5. catfish

catfish New Member

I would sincerely hope the FO would not name Tebow the starter no matter how Sanchez performs, give him the entire season to sink or swim. If Sanchez is going to spike talent wise as a QB this is the year it will most likely happen. The FO will have a better idea where they are at at the end of the year

6. catfish

catfish New Member

Supposing Orton wasn't the reason for the losses, and that could be a valid argument. the team has a starting QB who they dont feel is a franchise guy whos contract is up a the end of the year, they have a backup who is not a franchise guy whos contract is up at the end of the year and they have a first round draft pick who is untested on the roster.

they start the season 1-4, while not mathmatically eliminated common sense and past performance wold indicate they arent making the playoffs. The draft has one of the most promising QB prospects since Peyton Manning and it is likely that the team will be in the running for his selection. Why would you NOT put in the 1st rounder you have if for no other reason than to see if you should pursue Luck given the opportunity. The FO had nothing to lose so why not give the fans what they are calling for.

The Jets are comitted to Sanchez, they have plenty to lose by starting Tebow, and as such I would be willing to bet that barring injury it doesn't hapen. The ONLY reason that Tebow stepped on the field in Denver was the FO had nothing to lose and wanted to set their draft priority. I don't think they actually expected to win, though I am not one of those who thinks they wer trying to lose, or to "set up" Tebow

7. Big Blocker

I would guess if this is what you are saying that Orton being in his contract year last year may well have been a factor in the way Denver handled him. That might seem counterintuitive on the face of it, but imo not really. It's likely there were some discussions before the beginning of the season, and given that he was making near $9mil, I am guessing Orton's camp probably was not saying he'd take a deep cut from there, meanwhile Denver had spent the first rounder on Tebow, for better or worse, and then spending big bucks on extending Orton made no sense.

So they started the season with Orton, but knew they weren't committed to him in the long run.

8. catfish

catfish New Member

Pretty much the way it looked to me, if they started 3-2 he would most likely have been left in because they would have a shot at the playoffs and no shot at Luck(or one of the other top guys), once they thought they might have a shot at one of the top QB's they had to see if they needed one. I think the switch had less to do with Orton and more the situation...again just my opinion. I don't think there will be the same issue here. I am sure there will be some boo birds, backups names will always get chanted where the teams QB is not a top 5 guy yet, but the nothing to lose mentality won't be there so it shouldn't be anywhere near as prevelant....one would hope anyway

9. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

EPA and WPA, by themselves, are incomplete stats. The article used both of them for each player to determine "how well Orton and Tebow performed", statistically.

10. Slap

Slap New Member

Sam Bradford had that asshole McDaniels coaching him for one thing, but realistically, he's incredibly overrated. I see a Joey Harringtonesque career trajectory for him from this point forward.

11. catfish

catfish New Member

Agree with the McDaniels handicap. Thank you for the response,ans agree with overrated. like I said I have an open mind towards Bradford, but so far I don't see any reason that I keep hearing he is a better QB than Tebow. Last year they both were pretty equally bad passing wise

12. Big Blocker

Hm. That is something to consider. Thanks.

13. catfish

catfish New Member

no problem, thank you and the other Jets fans for being overall pretty tolerant of the Tebow fans. I know some of us can get annoying, so I appreciate the patience

14. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

This I do agree with.

15. Big Blocker

Oh, we're not all that tolerant. We're still in shock for the most part.

16. catfish

catfish New Member

LOL, you are in that instant between when you stub your toe and the pain hits :)

17. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

I would like to see that argument presented in writing (just for shits and giggles)...should be an amusing, highly circumstantial case.

18. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

You still fail to explain how if there are, in fact, chants in the stadium coming for Tebow, that they would be coming from a migration of Tebow fans as opposed to Jets fans...

19. catfish

catfish New Member

lol, it would be based very heavily on completion%, total yds and QBR for sure. Using the drops argment as a measure of the WR core skill, cleveland was(I beleive) the worst in the NFL. I am not actually arguing that McCoy was the best, just that cherry picking stats would indicate that he was.

None of the 3 performed well, Tebow was the least bad...IMO of course

McCoy led comp% QBR and Total yds

Bradford led INT/A(lowest)

Tebow led YPA, TD/A

all you can do is pick the stats you feel are most relevant to wins. For me it is INT/A TD/A, YPA in that order

20. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Just for shits and giggles, it appears that McCoy did do better than either Bradford or Tebow, and Tebow was definitely on a better team than either Bradford or McCoy. :eek:hmy:

FYI:
    ----------------------------------Rank-----------------Rank----------------------------------Rank--
    QB--------Games--Games---Avg---Ttl----Comp--Comp--Sacks--Ints--TDs--QBR---QBR--
    Name------Played--Started--Atts--Atts-----%-----%-----Att-----Att---Att---------------
    Bradford-------10------10---35.7---23----50.8----31------10.1--1.7---1.7--70.5---29---
    Tebow---------14------11---19.4---30----46.5----33------06.9--2.2---4.4--72.9----27---
    McCoy---------13------13---35.6---17----57.2----26------12.2---2.4---3.0--74.6---25---