Jim Leonhard?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MikeDevito, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

I'm sorry if somethings been posted but will we add him as a third safety? Incase Landry goes down due to him not getting surgery, Jimmy knows the system and would help strengthen the safety position.

If not what do we spend the extra 4 million in cap money we have after the draft?

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Nobody is signing Leonhard before the draft.

So I think its pretty clear the plan is see how draft goes, and if we still need a safety then its time to see how well hes healing up.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd like us to sign Braylon and Leonhard if/when they're healthy. Leonhard is unspectacular but obviously the FS market is thin and he knows the system. Better to have him than not.

Even if we bring Leonhard back, we should draft a FS at some point in this draft. A rotation of Landry, Smith, Leonhard, and draftee would probably suffice along with a passrusher in round 1. That'd be the ideal scenario imo.

4. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

We need to get Leonhard back. He will be cheap, knows the system, is a fan favorite and close with Rex.

Getting a safety should be our 2nd or 3rd concern in the draft, but having Leonhard there as backup / mentor for this season will be crucial.

And then we still got black ass Eric Smith to fill in the cracks. All in all, I think our safety position is going turn into a very sound part of the team this year.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Agreed to every bit of it. We need an OLB in round one, and FS and WR in rounds 2-3.

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Leonhard knows that if he comes back to the Jets he won't have to learn a new system and he'll have a chance at some legit PT. It's a waiting game at this point.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Where do you get this number?

$7,567,441 in estimate cap space (nyjetscap.com)
    Draft picks cost an estimated $5 million total
    Leaves us with about $2.5 million in cap space after the draft.

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Were not signing a WR in rounds 2-3 and bringing Braylon back.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Can borrow 1.5 million from next year

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Round 1: OLB
    Round 2: RT
    Round 3: FS

Sign a healthy Braylon. That, to me, is the best way to cap off the off season. If Braylon isn't healthy, not really sure what we could do for WR. June 1st cuts? Maybe go WR round 2 or 4.... I think it'd be smart to grab a RT in round 2 though. Decisions, decisions.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

We dont have a 4th round pick.

We already decided that Vlads getting the nod @ RT and I believe it.

We have significant needs @ OLB (which I agree we address early), OG HAS to be a significant need (Slausons major surgery, and both him and Moore are UFA next year plus Moores old).

Id rather draft a FS in the 5th, while going OLB + OG + OLB/DE with the early picks, unless someone falls to our 3rd pick. This is a poor safety class, and I dont want to reach for a poor safety

RT isnt just happenin

12. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I think we'll wait to see if we that safety from boise in the 3rd.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Oh right, that stupid fuckin' trade.

Slauson played with the injuries last year, they will be fixed and rehabilitated for next season. I'm expecting a solid year from him. Moore may be on the decline though, agreed.

I'll be surprised if they don't bring a third party into the mix with Vlad and Hunter. Hunter's terrible season alone cost us games last year. Vlad has looked even worse. They better bring in a vet after June 1 if they don't add somebody in the draft. Too big a risk imo.

I wouldn't be opposed to going OG round 2, though. I am a fan of replacing OL before it's too late.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Jimmy will be back.

We need him.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Slauson had surgery, which means no lifting/practices/conditioning for 6+ months. So even if hes 100% healthy which i doubt, but he wont be in game shape

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He said in an interview he expects to participate fully in training camp. I can't find the article. Take it for what it's worth.

17. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

We already have two Strong Safeties on the roster.

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I hope to God we don't do that. Our 2013 cap situation is already pretty bad.

I'd like Braylon back. I'd also like us to draft a WR early to make Holmes expendable in 2013. His Cap charge is huge and should be traded away. We will have ton of cap issues next year and Holmes is not a te first guy by any means. That's why we need to draft a WR early and hope he has a solid rookie year to let Holmes go.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Leonhard will be a FS for the Jets. We don't have a FS right now.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

?

Let Holmes go ?

He has a cap number of 12.5 million next season, with 11.25million guarenteed

We would have to give other teams draft picks for them to take his contract.

So Holmes isnt going anywhere.

And the 2013 cap situation wont be worse than this year, and is more than fine if we can even get at least 2 rookies who can be starters next season