Some toughts, some hopes...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by onefanjet, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

You are pretty good ignoring my point. My point is that I'd rather be the AFC championship losing team than the 0-16 simply because I would actually have a chance to reach the SB next year. The 0-16 team has the best odds of going 0-16 again.

Again, tell me if there is no difference between the two teams, they how come no 6-10 or worse team has ever won the SB? How come there have been plenty of teams that lost in the playoffs one year and won SB the next? You say there is no difference. You say last years performance doesn't matter. I say there is a world of a difference and the performance matters.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We were 11-5 2 seasons ago and 8-8 last year with a couple really blown games. A couple things go differently and we were 10-6 instead of 8-8. Now of course you have to make your own luck so last season if anything gave us a vision of our problems and gave us an opportunity to change them.

1 is changing Schotty's system to a far less complicated system. We have a lot of draft picks and are picking at a much better spot then the last 2 seasons.

People want to make it sound like the Jets are doomed to fail but the way things are shaping up it looks pretty hard to go 10-6ish. Our season pretty much rides on the shoulders of Sanchez now. If he improves in a new system we can do big things. Our D is still real solid. ST should be better then the worst ST season I can remember seeing under Mike Westhoff. We brought in Tebow to run the wildcat which took a lot of pressure of Mark in his first 2 seasons.

Hopefully last season and this offseason has woken up Mark and he will do what needs to be done to become a better QB.

3. akibud

akibud Active Member

If you ask me, not only should you be held to your prediction, but in order to not let it happen again should you be wrong, I think you should also request a perma-ban if you are wrong.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

As I say before sorry to say IMHO the NYJs will disappoint U all over again this season & next & beyond that. 1 more time I only used 0-16 as a example. Sure you are most likely not going to see a 0-16 team 1 year & the next year will be the SB Champs but OTH U are saying the more lottery tix U buy the better U odds & that does not work in the NFL at least :sad:

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

You are like the king of the SOJFs.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Just figuring that out?... :)

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Your point about the OC leaves out that the O will presumably be having to learn a whole new scheme even before Tebow came to the team. And also that Sparano has never been an OC before. I still remember the original context of Sparano's hiring was that he was going to be mostly focused on the running game, with Todd Haley (remember?) going to run the passing attack. No Haley, only Sparano, and so even at this point, Sparano is going to come up with a whole new offense. I mean they can just continue to run Schotty's offense, I suppose, but that was not the thinking around here, for the most part.

I recognize "develop an O" does not mean it cannot include a few wildcat plays, and for good or ill Sparano knows something about the wildcat (not enough to keep his job in f'ing Miami, but we'll put that aside for now). But Ryan, and the logic of Tebow being traded for, suggests we are talking about more than just a handful of plays with Tebow and the wildcat.

So, in addition to working with Sanchez to develop a new O, Sparano will also work with Tebow on some number of wildcat plays.

You see the point? It's not so much the adding of the wildcat plays as the whole thing together. It looks like too much to me.

As for Tebow's effect in Denver, you seem to have swallowed hte party line of the Tebots as far as what happened there. I have not. But ftr the standard is not whether this was the worst trade ever, but whether it was a good one.

It was not, and never will be.

8. Big Blocker

That may have been the plan before the Tebow trade, but I don't see how it is still the operative concept. Mixing Tebow in will at least make the O more complex than before.

9. whichfan

whichfan New Member

No it won't because of how NFL offenses are designed to begin with. Each play is its own design.

So whether you have 100 plays that include a mix of spread offense, I formations, under center plays or 100 plays that include a mix of spread offense, I formations, wildcat and under center plays...you still have 100 different plays the team has to learn.

Each week they design and add new plays to the offense throughout the season, sometimes based on what worked, sometimes based on the opponents they face. Teams usually don't bring out things that fail in practice.

And as far as Tebow goes, while no doubt he's going to start off a play with a design play, a lot of what he does eventually becomes improv anyway. So the receivers and everyone else will have to improvise on the fly too. Younger guys coming out of college in the draft will have little issue with this. Elite receivers that never played one dimension football and are already capable of adjusting and switching routes, will also be able to adjust when something like this does happen.

People complicate things too much. Wait and see it before you knock it. None of us know any better than the coaches and staff that are actually putting all of these things together.

#69 whichfan, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

With Sparano coming in as a new OC, our playbook is bound to change, Tebow or no Tebow. We won't be using the old playbook anymore.

Sparano couldn't keep his job in Miami because he was the HC. He was responsible for the offense, defense, special teams, and the end result of the season. Now he'd be focusing on just the offense so the comparison is flawed. He may be the worst HC to ever coach and yet could be the best OC. Not saying he is, but just saying those two different duties.

I guess we'd have to wait and see if it was a good trade, but for now, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't mind losing a 4th in a low risk high reward scenario.

11. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

I think some Tebots are as full of cowshit as the manure pits at the local dairy farms before the spreaders spray it on the cornfields. :lol:

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

But wouldn't adding Tebow add so many more plays to maximize his effect? While Sanchez might not be on the field for those, the rest of the offense has to learn. If they do commit a set of plays with Sanchez and Tebow on the field with Tebow split to his side, these are all still extra plays for the players to learn on top of Sparano's system and plays

13. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Not necessary no. If my playbook is made up of 100 plays, then that's what everyone has to learn. Right now it might be 100 plays all through Sanchez. Next year it might be 70 Sanchez, 30 Tebow. That's still 100 for the team.

But really why do you guys worry about the most irrelevant stuff? This is a non-issue.

14. displacedfan

But why would you take away plays? Wouldn't you just expand the playbook? Then it depends on when to deploy Tebow. If you are taking Sanchez out to put Tebow in, then you have to decide when, which complicates it. If you decide to use Sanchez and Tebow together, you have to decide what is a good position to take the ball out of Sanchez's hands and put it Tebow's. It does complicate things, but that doesn't mean the coaches or players can't handle it.

15. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I don't know man. I think I'm going to start responding to meaningless issues with the typical media response rhetoric.

I'm excited to see what the coaches and staff will put together, and I trust that the coaches will put together the best plan that will give this team the best chance to win football games. I look forward to watching Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez and the Jets begin the 2012 NFL regular season, and am very excited to find out the game plan they have put together. I am sure the players and coaching staff work very hard to get themselves 100% ready before the regular season and are all very excited to begin training camp. This is a tough, strong-minded, and confident football team with a very bright future ahead.

16. displacedfan

I was just wondering why you think if there were a 100 plays they would subtract 30 and then 30 news ones instead of adding 30 ones. In any case the coaching staff has a tough challenge in front of them. Even though Rex shouldn't be on the hot seat barring a huge collapse, the media is definitely going to make him feel like he is. Going to be interesting to see how he responds

17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Being that Tebow is already here they have lots of leeway before the season to figure out how to use him in away that doesn't overcomplicate the whole system. Until we see Sparano's plan in action I don't think there's any reason to assume that it's going to be overly complicated. After all of the complaints about Schotty's system being too complicated I would hope they didn't go get a guy who's going to bring that same problem...

18. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I'm wondering why you would think they would add 30 IF adding additional plays would cause issues.

Obviously common sense says IF adding extra plays would cause issues for the team, then they're going to scale back and divide them up....

It just seems like people are looking for reasons why things won't work.

19. displacedfan

No, I'm trying to be analytical. Being a Jets fan for my life, optimism doesn't run too high. I'm not gonna just gloss over what can be a problem and just hope it doesn't creep up. I signed up here to talk about the Jets, I'm not just going to sit back and not talk about stuff now.

The Jets offensive unit is going to be learning a new offensive scheme. This should be simplified compared to Schotty's according to most reports, but there are still learning a new scheme. Many have said man blocking is easier to pick up than zone blocking. I never played football so I can't attest to that, but the transfer to the Sparano offense shouldn't be very difficult according to some reporters. However, there will be growing pains as players try to figure out what works best in NFL game scenarios. Add in not only learning this new offense, but then the plays with Tebow.
    We still don't know how Tebow is going to be used, and since the players haven't practiced or been in game situation, they don't know either. If he is used in the tradition WC role, the Jets should be able to pick it up since they ran a few plays out of formations like these with Kerley. However, it seems unlikely the Jets traded just for a WC QB. I would hope they have some other tricks up their sleeves. If they do have these tricks, most likely it is going to be there to fool the defense and use situations defenses aren't used to. This means the offense is going to have to learn the plays too. Now while these are still adding plays, they might be plays the players haven't run since HS or college, or have never run before. So there will be growing pains.

Now if the Jets want to be able to sub in Tebow as backup and then ride him as a starter, they are going to need a mostly different playbook for Tebow and Sanchez. While the QB's would have to master their own, the rest of the offense would have to master and learn both. This would cause complications in addition to the growing pains of grabbing a newer QB.

This isn't creating problems, these are typical problems that offenses run into when they try to add new pieces or new systems.

20. Big Blocker

The concern about what Offense will be put together, how complex it will be, whether it can be done, at this point obviously remains to be seen.

The larger issue I have as a Jet fan, and I think some other Jet fans have as well, is whether the apparent approach, the "strategy" if you want to give it more stature than it seems to deserve, indicates that the people running the team know what they are doing.

Sparano is new to the Jets. His track record is ambiguous at best. Ryan has never been an offensive minded coach. Tanny is an accountant. Woody is an heir to a medical products fortune. From these guys we are trying to figure out if they know what they are doing. Call me crazy, but I think a teensy bit of skepticism is warranted.

Tebow fans are just too dense, apparently, to see the issue. THEY should be concerned as well, and no one should be the least bit surprised if or when, as you prefer, Tebow fails, Tebots will be complaining about Sparano and his offense louder than anyone.

You might as well get familiar with the discussion and the arguments. YOu might learn something about football in the meantime, too.