For argument sake!!! Outside the Box Thinking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Apr 3, 2012.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

***Disclaimer***
    This is to generate discussion. It clearly states in my title this is outside the box thinking, and if that isn't your thing, move on from this thread.

Rex Ryan has made his philosophy of ground and pound well known. Tony Sparano shares this philosophy, and together they have brought in Tim Tebow to run the wildcat offense to increase the ground and pound philosophy.

Our current running backs are Shonn Greene, Joe Mcknight, Bilal Powell, John Griffin, and John Connor. Greene has shown some flashes, but does this team really have the personnell to survive on the ground and pound.

Caution: The outside of the box is coming!!! Again, if this isn't your thing, move on!!!

Ray Rice is a non-exclusive franchise player, and we are free to talk to him. However, if we were to reach an agreement with him the Ravens would be able to match, and if they couldn't it would cost us (2) first round picks.

Currently we have 50 players under contract, and have $7.5 million in cap space. With our 10 picks including our 1st we are estimated to use $5.5 million. $2.5 million is allocated for our 1st pick, and the other 9 would cost $3 million. Leaving us $4 million in cap space.

Based on Arian Fosters new contract the contract for Ray Rice would be around 5yr 40mil, and we would probably need to have a $10 mil 2012 season to ensure the Ravens couldn't match it. That puts us -$6 million in cap space.

We would need to restructure a few contracts such as Dustin Keller, Brandon Moore, and Mike Devito who are all in their final year of their respective contracts. Bottom line is it could be done, but is it worth it.

Lets say we were to give up our first this year (Melvin Ingram), and our 1st next year (25-32). We get Ray Rice, and lose out on Melvin Ingram. We most likely need to replace Eric Smith, and Mike Devito. We will still need to find our pass rusher in the 2nd round, and a safety in the 3rd round.

Again, this is just to drum up discussion. What would everyone think?

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I would obviously support adding a player of his calibre I just don't think it's possible ala salary cap. We already restructured Brick and Sanchez's deals, not sure how many more times you can do that before running into trouble.

But I understand your premise, Ray Rice is a beast, he's exactly what we need. That being said, I think Greene and McKnight will be fine for us provided the OL gets back to par.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

1) Foster signed a team friendly contract, to a team that he was already on, while he was already under contract to the team that took a chance on him as an UDFA, and gave him the opportunity to become a star. AP is getting like 13 million a year, Chris Johnson is getting over 9 million a year (he was under a rookie contract, AND stayed with his current team)

So Ray Rice isnt leaving the Ravens for anything less than 5 years 50 million.

2) Even if he was willing to come here for 5 years 40 million, that idea would be absolutely fucking retarded in every which way. There is a salary cap, and we are going to be squeezed very tightly under it already. With guys like Revis/Harris/DBrick/Sanchez/Mangold/Cromartie trying up a ton of money long term there is no way on the planet that this wouldnt completely cripple our team.

Especially since drafting rookies is the only "good" way to get around the salary cap right now, and wed be giving up 2 first rounders.

3) Theres a better chance of me banging every cheerleader on both the Jets AND Ravens all at the same time than there is of this deal actually happening

4) Did I mention this is an awful idea ?

Oh im also going to add, if the Ravens were given the opportunity to match, and could get him for a "decent" contract of 5 years 40 million, why wouldnt they match that then ?

Do you think they only want him if they can get him for 5-6 million a year, even though he is their offense ?

#3 dcm1602, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this isn't outside the box thinking, it is typical inside the padded box gotta sign the big free agent name thinking.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

RBs can be found all over the draft. Just look at Arian Foster.

6. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Too much money in a qb to go all in on a RB that would strap the rest of the team.
    Well do fine with the personell we have.

Weve got at least 2 guys for each role that are kinda unique in there own way so we can give alot of different looks as well as go on skill vs skill dominance as long as guys play to their potetntial and play toghether.

Thats the websters definiton anyway.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would rather send a 3rd rounder (might cost more) to the panthers for Jonathan Stewart than 2 first rounders and 50 mil for Rice. I love Rice and we NEED a true #1 back on this ground and pound team, but the price it would cost just doesnt seem reasonable. I’ll keep saying this, but the RB position is the most underrated hole on this team. A ground and pound team is like having Rex’s defense without a cover corner... It just doesnt work.

I would also rather us try and make a trade for Ben Tate, draft Lamar Miller or Doug Martin in the 2nd. The ideal situation would be Richardson falling, but we all know thats not gonna happen.

I just hate looking at this backfield and seeing it led Shonn Greene... A true #1 back could do this team so much more than any other player that could be added.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets really need cheap talent in the trenches. How do they get that if they trade the next two 1sts away?

9. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

While I can entertain the Idea of Getting Ray Rice; which by the way would be an amazing addition. I have to look at the reality that there is just not enough money to go around for the next couple of years. I'm worried about keeping our core group of players and we seem to have them locked up for the next two years or so , but how many contracts can you re-work.

The Draft is going to be approached as a plug a holes session and we will get quality players , but they will be the ones we invest the future in. I do think we will get a running back , but it will be a third rounder and not the superstar you would like us to get. I even have this Out of the box thinking that we will score with Johnathan Stewart by sending half our draft to Carolina, but that's my mental dilemma.:lol:

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Draft Martin in the 2nd or try and get Stewart or Tate in a trade as long as its a 3rd or less

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Elite RBs need to be drafted. When they are traded for, it never works out.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Curtis Martin? Thomas Jones to an extent?

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Talent-wise it's a definite yes. Salarycap-wise, it's a definite no. Sanchez + Holmes + Rice -> Needs quality starters on rookie contracts or accepting sub-par talent on the field that other teams will be looking to take advantage of.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Two first round picks is too much to pay for any RB.

15. NFL

NFL Active Member

What are the Jets doing with Maybin? Are they keeping him or getting rid of him? I believe that he could be a great player. He didn't start any games this last season and still managed to get 6 sacks (which i believe was the most of any Jet player this season) and 4 forced fumbles. For not starting any games those are some pretty good stats. Give the kid a chance.

16. pheasant

pheasant Undrafted FA

I wouldn't call Thomas Jones elite, but when we traded for him, he was productive right out of the gate.

17. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

He was tendered, he'll be back next year.

18. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Yoiu want an elite RB, here is the strategy.

1. Trade your first and 2nd this year, plus a 2nd next year and move up and get Richardson, who is probably going to be more of the kind of "ground and pound" RB than Rice....and better too.

So you get your man. It costs you only two #2's and a very reasonable contract for more vs two #1's and a monster contract for less. Don't thank me, the Jets FO needs all the help it can get.

19. pheasant

pheasant Undrafted FA

If we traded 3 high round picks to move up to take a HB, I would tie bricks to my ankles and jump into the Hudson River.

HB is a luxury position for us this year, imo. I think Richardson would look great in Green & White, but there's no way I would sacrifice other picks to move up to get him.

20. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Exactly, and Arian Foster wasn't even found in the draft.