Alright, I give. Tebow is already a giant pain in the ass. I think I hate him.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 3, 2012.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Not only are you close to 100% intuition, but you're also close to 100% incorrect.

I have a feeling that Alex Smith will win the MVP award and the Super Bowl based on his performance last year. Ipso facto I am correct.

2. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Yes absolutely.

My point is that the anti Tebow post ,which FAR out number anything pro tebow (so the fear of the tebots is totally unfounded) makes a dire prediction of epic losing now that Tebow is on the jets .

based on what exactly? What is the "losing of epic proportions" sentiment coming from?

Did Tebow have a losing record as a starter with a team that was the very worst in the NFL when he took over, going back 2 years (based on wins and losses) last year? No he didn't. So what exactly is all the "tebow is a loser " stuff coming form?

It's bizzarre and obviously not based on anything historical

and please whomever is responding spare me the 46.5% completion percentage (the only drum ever beaten on) because it did not equal losing last year and Tebow is only going to get better with that stat.

3. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Thanks for peeking into your crystal ball.

4. packersfan

packersfan New Member

Damn, those are some rational thoughts and I thought you were a Tebot, Tebower, Tebinary, Tebopper and are accused of not having rational thoughts....haha

#64 packersfan, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I'm not disputing, because I don't know. But are you saying his first two years in the league (still a backup to Favre), or his first two years starting for the Packers?

6. packersfan

packersfan New Member

His first two years in the league as Favre's backup. I know it isn't exactly the same because Tebow started most of last year, I am simply pointing out that Tebow may develop over time.

7. reverseapachemaster

Who is saying he's a loser? Many of us just think he is overhyped and his ability to improve as an NFL QB is more limited than others believe. Just because he did awesome in high school or college doesn't prove anything about his NFL abilities.

Many of us disagree about how last season went down. Some may think he rocked out against all possible odds and brought a team up from nothing to the playoffs. Others think he doesn't get credit for what happened early in the season before he started playing (Orton played many more difficult teams in those first five games) and he did a good job of surprising teams with a very different style of play, but once teams started get wind of it the season started to collapse. Denver legitimately beat an injury-ridden Steelers. Then returned to collapsing. I will even go as far as saying that had Tebow come in earlier in the season Denver doesn't fare any better in its regular season record because teams figure him out earlier and they pick up the same losses. Maybe Denver even does worse.

Obviously, we are not going to agree on these points.

Yeah, when you automatically discount stats that defeat your argument it makes yours a lot stronger by default. Especially when you follow it up with a baseless premise.

8. catfish

catfish New Member

IIRC didn't he need to completely re-tool he mechanics before he was worth a damn...took the better part of 3 years if memory serves

9. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

Or when you equally discount the wins and back up your stance with baseless speculation that they would have lost more games had he started earlier....

10. catfish

catfish New Member

I think his argument is that the opposition to Tebow tends to throw out all the stats except the completion%. My guess would be he feels that completion% is largely a function of type of pass attempt and receiver skill in combination with QB skill and as such is not a great stat to measure the skill of a QB. He(and others) feel the YPA or TD%/INT% are better measures.

11. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Yes but he scored 2 touchdowns during the Championship game and was in the game from pretty much their first offensive possession. And Leak went undrafted, signed by the Bears after the draft and eventually busted out of the NFL.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Let me set you straight. I think to win a SB you probably need either a decade great D and running game and/or a probable HOF quality QB.

In QB I mean an outstanding passer with great mechanics who can throw in the pocket. Doesn't mean he can't throw on the run but he has to be able to throw in the pocket.

Where many of us feel this is a very bad move is Tebow doesn't give us great prospect to be an elite NFL QB he is a gimmick, change up. Additional while many of us have doubts about Sanchez, at the very least we want him fully developed. I personally believe installing two offenses and taking valuable time away from practice and work on the O around Sanchez doesn't give him the best opportunity to develop. I also don't believe a changeup O is a long term recipe for success even though it might create positive plays in any particular game.

Additionally the Jets have significant holes on the OL, LB and safety along with wr. We also have had a few bad drafts in a row. I don't see wild cat or spread option QB as a priority. I do see RT, Safety, LB, WR, running backs priority in that order.

Additionally we just went through a season where we were loud and bad. A quiet offseason where the team could simply get under the radar and back to work would have been a decided positive for this team at this point in time.

Better weapons in areas of need, quiet offseason, no gimmicks, great draft. That would have been my priorities. This looks like a panic move for the back pages in NY to me.

13. VanderbiltJets

It was obviously sarcasm mocking the ridiculousness of your "Sanchez will be the next Delhomme" prediction.

14. VanderbiltJets

Because college success does not necessarily correlate to success in the NFL. Your comment was incorrect and instead of acknowledging that you refocused the argument to cover up your tracks.

15. whichfan

whichfan New Member

It seems to me the issue is people clinging on to a completion % that's heavily skewed, doesn't represent Tebow's accuracy and instead choose to ignore pretty much every OTHER NFL QB statistical category that he's excelled in.

More important ones like TD%, TO%, INT% TD/INT...his rushing statistics, air passing yards, long ball accuracy, etc...all the other categories that squash the idea that he has accuracy issues and pretty much loudly scream there's something else going on there that others are very wrongly ignoring.

You are being far from objective, if you're going to discount everything else, and cling to that one stat as evidence or as some sort of disqualification reason why all the other categories he excels in is some sort of fluke.

Common sense is if one excels in 9 out of 10 categories, and there's an issue with that 1, then it's probably that 1 that's the fluke, not the other 9.

16. catfish

catfish New Member

Just to set the record straight Chris Leak was an incredibly good passing QB. He didn't have the physical build for the NFL, but he did pretty well in the passing league that is the CFL. Tebow contributed to the championship, but Leak was definately the leader of that team. Tebow was used in short yardage situations, and on change of pace series (Disclosure: I graduated from UF in 06)

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Speaking of looking into one's crystal ball...

18. VanderbiltJets

Thank you.

19. catfish

catfish New Member

I am an admitted Tebow homer, but I don't think the sun shines out of his ass. He needs to improve, but is far from hopeless or as bad as some people say he is. I think he needs a year or 2 on the bench to work on being a pocket QB without the pressure.

however if he is put in due to injury(sincerely hope not) I think a standard passing game with the usual 1-10 yd passes you see in 90% of NFL offenses would serve to bump his numbers. when 23% of your pass attempts are 20 yds in the air or greater your comp% will suffer(next highest was 18%, average is 12%)

20. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I'm not basing that on something that hasn't already happened. He's already displayed the ability of being fully capable of doing it to anyone that's actually watched him play.

#80 whichfan, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012