Jets hot for Aussie rugby star

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Lol a linebacker beast for the other team.

2. NottinghamJet

NottinghamJet New Member

Playing for the US National team isn't exactly the pinnacle of the Rugby world, but it's more notable that he's part of a good Saracens side who are challenging for the title in the Aviva Premiership.

Can't see him contributing this year but he's athletic, must have decent hands (otherwise he wouldn't be playing rugby) and has the size thing going for him.

Sign him up on the cheap; get him a couple of crates of VB, a years supply of shrimp and a top notch BBQ - he won't say no. Not that i'm stereotyping Aussies or anything....

3. Levenhagen

Levenhagen New Member

that is niiceeee

but i mean, we still have keller right?

oh whatever, we better spend those draft picks on some defensive(and OL) players

#43 Levenhagen, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

More importantly, is he taller than Vincent Jackson?

5. Windeos

Windeos Member

I've never understood why NFL teams haven't targeted top rugby union players to play Anerican Football.

Even taking an out half (rugby player who is generally the kicker) would find kicking in the NFL simple enough. If you took an international rugby union outhalf & told him to kick the american football directly into touch (punt it) he would do it with ease, rugby players are taught to kick the ball into touch after bouncing it, so kicking it directly into touch would be simple. A player like Francois Steyn, who has a massive boot on him could kick field goals or punt for fun, as seen in this drop goal, that's at least a 60 metre drop goal below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DkPOO2tF0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Possible lb's or te's would be wing forwards or big centre, who in rugby basically tackle anything that move but also have great hands, players like Stephen Ferris (6ft 4in) who is also one of the quickest players in Ireland, he's a genetic freak that has unreal burst over 0-5 yards & is like a bull in the tackle or with the ball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyhH-ip3Bho&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Another player would be Sonny Bill Williams, could be a perfect TE. He's 6ft 4, quick, very very strong with unbelievable hands. He's a complete stud http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IM5hVcNJXQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now why don't the Jets look into some top rugby studs, the salary of the best players in the world at rugby are max £350,000 & that's the best in the world. The NFL are missing out on some serious players here that could benefit any team. Rugby players are tough as nails & everyone knows how to tackle properly and technically correctly plus their hands are brilliant in that they can catch passes & offload.

I just think rugby is a huge untapped source, the easiest to transition would be punters & kickers. But back in the day Jonah Lomu as a RB would've been a sight to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXTa7UCGlk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just can't understand the lack of interest in these guys

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Maybe this guy is the answer to our RT woes,,,,,,if they sign him our off line is good to go,,,,,or maybe he can play both ways and go outside LB as well,,,,,this is a great move,,,,,,,,SUPER BOWL

7. nyj62

nyj62 New Member

how many 6' 10" 360 lb guys you see working at mcdonalds. just saying.:grin:

8. nyj62

nyj62 New Member

The dump i just took is better then mulligan.

9. Cidusii

Haha it was more frustration at the article implying that he would be one of the best that rugby has to offer athletically.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Doug Jolley!!!

11. Cidusii

I could see SBW going to NFL haha, he's already switched sports once, and there are rumors he'll be going back to Rugby League once his Union contract is up this year. Though he would probably be just another athletic player rather than near the top of the sport, since he hasn't played American Football before. Though it's only amateur level, you'll find that the NZ grid iron teams love to run the ball because of their rugby backgrounds, so I could easily see SBW being thrown at RB, or better yet in the wildcat where his offloading skills would actually be utilized.

Steyn's just a freak of nature. I think that drop goal was made in high altitude, but it still doesn't take much away from it. He could go to Denver and boss it up there, but it'd be a waste of his actual playing ability. Then again on special teams, players would actually have to respect the kicker as a tackler.

I remember someone telling me that some American football team was looking at Manu Vatuvei (though that's League), purely because Wings in league do a lot of chasing of high kicks, which showcases his ability to get up in the air and secure a catch.

12. Windeos

Windeos Member

Believe it or not that's at sea level while playing for Racing Metro in the south of France haha

13. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Huge target athletic tight end. Im down sign this dude to a 1 year deal. if it fails we still got Cumby.

14. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I think the main issue is that over the course of several decades the NFL game has distilled down to subtleties in movement, whether defense or offense, whilst Rugby is still a very expansive game.

A Rugby player could probably play every down in a game but may not be as money when it comes to catching a 4th quarter game-winning ball.

16. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Come on guys this is simply a signing to put pressure on Nick Folk. Hell the guy should be able to drop kick from about 50 yards. Right???

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Wonder if we should create a Hayden Smith Forum for the influx of Aussie posters we're gonna get now? (sarcasm)

I'm not the biggest rugby guy but I like to watch it when I can, watched the Hong Kong 7's a few weeks ago and have been to the USA 7's. There are a lot of guys who I think could transition to the NFL , I wonder why these teams haven't gone to places like Fiji or New Zealand to see if they could recruit some of them. It's quite the opposite in the NBA or MLB where teams are always looking to find the newxt spot to find baseball talent the NFL has been much slower to do so.

18. packersfan

packersfan New Member

I have been to Fiji before and I totally agree. Those guys are beasts and would make great football players. I remember thinking that I would love to see someone start a football development program over there.

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

His endurance has to be really good if he has been working out in Denver as a basketball player and rugby player considering the thick air and all.

Not a bad signing....projects like Jimmy Graham, Antonio Gates were limited on NFL experience and were college basketball guys. This is like a mid to late round draft pick, its a project. Zero problem with this signing.