Alright, I give. Tebow is already a giant pain in the ass. I think I hate him.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 3, 2012.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I know the thread title has the word "Tebow" in it. I know the word is the topic of the article, and it's the driving force behind my post. Still, I don't think this is a Tebow thread. It's a Mark Sanchez, (our Quarterback, anybody remember?) thread. I hope.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...tim-tebow-isnt-coming-to-jets-to-be-backup-qb

I'm not really blaming Dustin for popping up and giving a nice juicy one for the drama machine to tee up and run with. It's clear that he was at least trying to pick his words and keep it upbeat for Mark. More than some can say at least. Still, no part of this sits particularly well with me. Not earth shattering, but definitely somewhat annoying. First of all, why can't he just no comment the guy and go on his way? He wanted to get this on the record.

It plays at times like he's saying: "Hey, Mark's great. Love Mark. But shit, Tebow might be fun too guys! Either way, don't worry too much, we're good." No, no we're not Dustin. If Tebow becomes our starting Qb we can all kiss any Super Bowl dreams goodbye.

When I read this article I finally had the sinking feeling of the reality set in. It's never going to end. As long as Tebow is here, there is going to be an unfounded quarterback controversy.

I got the image of the many, many old guys striking up a conversation at half time in the concession lines over the past two years. They dissing Sanchez. Me politely trying to ask them to keep an open mind towards the kid, he's done a lot for us already.

Back then, you could laugh it off. You could talk AFC Championship/s. You could both get your beer and walk off peacefully.

But as last season progressed, you could see the true colors of our bread and butter fan base on their flags flying full mast. "This Sanchez has gotta go" "Sanchez can't throw", "I've never seen such an inaccurate Quarterback in my life", "We better get looking for a new Qb again". You'd hear it a hundred times a game. Now they're not even bothering to start conversations. They're just shouting it at whoever can hear on the escalators.

Enter Jesus.

I go back to the stadium this year. It looks like the Colosseum in Rome as it is today sort of. Also kind of Escape From New York meets The Walking Dead. The SOJF's are roaming the stairways in gangs. They're here for blood.

But no, that's not enough. The idolaters show up by the busload from Florida in their fanny packs and coupons. They're here for #15 and they won't quiet down till they get him. Come join the church while you're at it!

They find common ground. They join forces. Church raffle this Tuesday. We'll drink a naughty beer with you on Sunday after mass. They combine their chants and it's louder than your average J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS.

If Sanchez doesn't come out firing on all cylinders like a veteran All-Star from the first snap in week one it's going to be time to prepare. Strap on your helmet. Fasten the seat belt. Shit is going to be real.

Fuck.

[​IMG]

#1 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

hahahaha...thats actually a really good post! you should be a writer

3. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Thanks. I could totally Rich Cimini that shit.

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree that the situation is that dire, but that was very entertaining. Keep doin yer thang. :metal:

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You just realized this? This hit me day one. Sanchez is going to have to come out guns a-blazin'. It doesn't help that our players have absolutely no idea how to talk to the media.

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I mean, I knew...it was kind of like losing a loved one though. My head told me this right away, but then I read that article and my whole body told me.

7. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I guess it's going to take some time for most Jets to come to the realization Tebow is the future if Rex and Sanchez don't get it done this year? Everyone else has. Most seem to be in denial mode. Even most Patriots fans have figured it out this is Sanchez's, Mike's and Rex's last year here if things don't get done.

He's the freaking relief. He's not the "back-up" as much as he is "Plan B". Those guys are trying to save their jobs, and they are going all out. He's here to take over if shit goes bad. They saw how he was able to turn a franchise around mid-season and they're hoping he's going to do that here if things don't go well with Sanchez. It's great to have that but it also means someone at the top has lost confidence in the leaders of this franchise or are clearly on board with the fact the landscape of the NFL is changing.

They could have gotten a million other dudes to run the wildcat for a lot cheaper if that's all the Jets wanted. You don't trade for Tebow who never ran one wildcat play in the NFL if that's all you want. The players aren't stupid. They see what's happening and they see the very real potential of what can happen.

The NFL wasn't his first go around. This is his thing. It's like a routine he does. In high school, he wasn't even playing QB. He was playing some other position. He took over it, won a championship. In college, he was the back-up. Took over won two championships. Won the damn Heisman. In the NFL, he was Orton's back-up. Took over a 1-4 team and got them into the playoffs.

This is what he does. Loves to be in that underdog role, come off the bench, and then explode. For whatever reason, whether by circumstance or intention, he finds or maybe even positions himself in this same situation. Most people buy into the whole charade of Tebow's innocence, and the criticism of what he "can't do". This entire situations is basically set up perfectly for Tebowmania part 4. He thrives off all this.

You can't overlook his track record that he's been doing this all his life, under pretty much the same circumstances. If you could compare it to coaching, Sanchez is basically one step away from being a lame duck quarterback right now.

8. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I'm just not sure which part of "kiss any Super Bowl dreams goodbye" you skipped over. Allergic to that sentence I guess.

If Tebow wins the Super Bowl for us, I feel like maybe Brad Smith could have if it were him instead. Since Brad Smith couldn't....yeah I'm going to have to say it's going to take a lot of luck and the sickest couple drafts in the history of the NFL for Tebow to get it done long term.

Since I would prefer to NOT turn into Bradw4ysux by the age of 50 myself, I'm going to request to not see that performance.

Lovely story and all. Take it across the Hudson to Broadway though. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Thanks.

9. whichfan

whichfan New Member

You know I haven't really said much about this, and I hate to start some kind of racial debate, but it has to be said.

I actually feel bad for Sanchez, but in a lot of ways he is very much a victim of stealth racism and stereotypes. More so than probably even black quarterbacks are because it is so freaking stealth and because he has little "backing and support" from his race. Most of the criticism that you hear about him, stems from his background.

He's lazy.
    He's not a good leader.
    He's laid back.
    Etc, etc, etc. And the million other off-handed remarks.

Unfortunately for him, and this is where I'm going to agree with Skip Bayless, whether true or false, perception is a lot of what makes up reality, and he did VERY LITTLE to combat those. He didn't stand up for himself. He allowed it to go on around him.

Now in most cases, keeping your mouth shut and doing your job works. Proving it on the field. In this case, because of the type of things that were said about him, he should have said something.

But his passive reaction to everything, re-enforces the criticism. As innocent and harmless as Tebow appears, even he takes up for himself. He doesn't do it in a confrontational manner, he has a very assertive personality, but he does it.

No QB that makes it to the NFC Championship game in back to back years loses his status this quickly, but somehow, Sanchez has managed to do just that. And it doesn't help the fact that in today's NFL, Tebow who just took his team to an NFL divisional playoff game, and Alex Smith who also took his team to the NFC Championship, were basically completely replaceable. And of course Peyton Manning, got cut by the colts. And even McNabb who accomplished a lot more than Vick, and was arguably a better QB than his replacements in Minnesota, got the boot.

This is now the message these franchises are sending QB's. You don't get to stick around for years anymore feeling all safe and trying to get better. It's not just fans that have the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. It's now the owners and GM's. Their patience is starting to wear thin. Whether that's good or bad, is a different story, but that's what's happening.

10. packersfan

packersfan New Member

74Mangold I understand what you are saying. It was kind of like that during the whole Favre/Rodgers saga in Green Bay. The thing is as a Jets fan you want the best player out there as your quarterback. Right now that is Sanchez, but if he ends up not winning or not playing well then yes you will have a controversy on your hands. If you are Sanchez this is your time to prove you are the future Jets quarterback. Good leaders rise up in times of challenge and don't shrink back. Don't you want to know what you truly have in Sanchez? This year he has something to prove, lets see him do it.

#10 packersfan, Apr 3, 2012
  11. whichfan

whichfan New Member

That's great because to win a Super Bowl it does require a lot of luck. I don't really care to debate how you feel about this team's chances of winning the Super Bowl stand because of Tebow. It's all based on a bunch of perception and nonsense anyway as far as Tebow's concerned. Not sound logic or facts so you have a right to your opinion. You can believe what you want to believe. But I say considering you've tried everything under the sun for the past 50 years, and it didn't work, maybe praying about it and leaving it up to chance and luck might be the most logical thing to do. That's just my advice though.

#11 whichfan, Apr 3, 2012
  12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Precisely. If Sanchez can't handle the presence of a shitty Quarterback potentially unseating him, he isn't NFL material. I think he'll rise to the occasion.

13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

The problem is that he is GOING TO. But if he doesn't do it just like everyone likes right from the gun, this could turn into a real shitshow.

You know Keller is going to be calling for Tebow behind closed doors being the natural TE. Possibly Santonio. Players can turn. Fan base can turn. There might be a chance we could run him out of town a year too soon and live to regret it for the rest of our fucking lives.

For Tim fucking Tebow. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. Not in 2013. Not after this year. You draft another 1st rounder if you must. Never happen.

Level headed JETS fans intuitively understand this fully. Psychotic Tebownauts do not. They can go to one of the 10,000 other Tebow threads and splash their magic Tebow cream wherever they want.

This thread is meant for actual Jets fans that plan on being here after the Tim Tebow train either rolls along to his next stop or settles into this station to be forever second fiddle. If people had a clue they'd know there's no third option.

Making long term moves to replace Sanchez isn't going to get Rex and Tanny fired. They know that. They've won Woody's heart for years to come even if they haven't won everyone else's. That's all that matters.

They'll lose their jobs if they cut ties with Sanchez for Tebow and they live to regret it when Sanchez pans out. They'll lose their jobs if they cut Sanchez for Tebow and Tebow just isn't that great as a quarterback. Going with Tebow for Sanchez long term can only end in disaster from their positions. It won't happen.

14. packersfan

packersfan New Member

Ok good points, but then the question should be asked do you see any way Tebow actually improves to the level where you would want him as your quarterback or have you already formed your opinion of him by last year.

Yes he sucked bad at times last year, but he also had moments that have kept me with an open mind. You are asking for people to keep an open mind about Sanchez, but you seem to have already formed your opinion about Tebow as a quarterback. Just my opinion.

Again, I personally think that as long as Sanchez stays healthy he is going to have a very good year.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I allow for the possibility that Tim Tebow could become a dynamic and effective football playing weapon for the Jets or even a few other teams with the right type of roster and organization for him to succeed. I very well may want him on the team for any price within reason.

I will not ever want him to be the long term New York Jets starting quarterback. Not ever. I don't care how much better he gets at throwing the football. Unless Mark Sanchez goes down and Tim Tebow at the minimum gets us to the Super Bowl after winning his way through the playoffs, I don't want him starting the next year if he isn't just holding the reigns for a minute while our 1st round pick develops for a year.

Watching Tim Tebow throw a football is like watching women's figure skating. But I don't mean the Olympics at the end of the night with Michelle Kwan and Nancy Kerrigan. I mean in some medium sized arena in Toronto for a B level competition that made it to TV at 3 in the morning on Tuesday when they're competing against infomercials.

The girl jumps in the air and she starts twisting as fast as she can. She's not so hot so it doesn't flow at all naturally. It looks like she kind of throws herself in the air. But she didn't jump just right either so she starts wobbling in her triple sow-cow and it's anybody's call whether she's heading for a major tumble in .3 seconds.

Sure, sometimes she sticks the landing and the audience sighs in relief that they don't have to all give her that sad hurt face of empathy until she's off the ice and out of their sight. Yeah. Thanks but no thanks. I'll have me a pocket Quarterback please. Or at least one that can throw.

When Sanchez has a little confidence and a couple decent targets he throws the ball like vintage Brett friggin' Favre when he wants to. He don't give a fuck. He just whips it in there 40 50 yards and drops it right in their bread basket with time expiring and the world watching when it matters most. Boom, headshot. Ya dead. No big thing.

Tim Tebow will never do that for as long as he lives. Don't tell me about wildcat value. Brad Smith had wildcat value. It's not the same zip code. Never will be.

#15 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 3, 2012
  16. SwagMuffin

SwagMuffin New Member

Just quoting the only post that has any sort of value in this thread.

Well done.

#16 SwagMuffin, Apr 3, 2012
  17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Step away from the Jets sites, delete the twitter and espn mobile apps on your phone, do anything else besides read about the Jets for a few weeks. It's quite pleasant.

18. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

You Tebow nuts/fans or what ever the hell you are. Open your eyes.. as of right now Tebow sucks as a QB. He needs to learn how to throw the ball a HELL OF A LOT BETTER before any team will want him as there starting QB. The only reason the Jets want him is to run the wild cat. Jacksonville only wanted him to help fill there seats. You Tebow nuts can sit there and throw up stats all u want but the stat GM and HC will look at is he completes a little under 50% of his throws.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nice OP even though it's a total overreaction to an article that basically said the same thing people have been saying since the trade happened.

Guess what? Morons are going to want Tebow to start and as you said, SOJFs were already calling for Sanchez' head before the trade happened.

Just like they were chanting the name of Kellen Clemens not that long ago.

It's time to come to the realization that most Jets fans are vapid, just as most people are vapid.

And this may not have started out as a Tebow thread, but it has certainly become one.

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

This is probably the best advice I've heard yet on here. Ty sir and will do. Not today though.