Santonio Holmes 'just wants the ball'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 30, 2012.

1. pheasant

pheasant Undrafted FA

that was Schottenheimer's fault.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No one thought the Jets would do anything in the playoffs in '09 nor did anyone think the Jet had a shot against the Pats in '10. Sanchez has played some of his best football in the postseason - you never know what could have happened.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Oh boy, here we go again. So the fact that Holmes was playing alongside Bray and Cotch instead of Plax/Mason/Kerley had nothing to do with it? The fact that the Online was a shambles compared to 2010 had nothing to do with it?

Obviously Sanchez had a crappy year and an especially bad streak toward the end, but the whole team played poorly and there is a lot of blame to go around. There has been a ton of speculation about where all the turmoil came from but I don't remember it being reported anywhere that Holmes ever said he was specifically unhappy because Sanchez wasn't able to get him the ball. It's obvious that there was tension between them but neither guy has stated specifically what went down - it's all second hand - but of course coming from you I'm not surprised that you state it as a fact that all the blame was on Sanchez.

And for the record, I'm not down on Holmes either, I think all of this lockerroom cancer stuff is just people's knee jerk reaction to the media hype. The bottom line is that the majority of what people think they know about all this came from anonymous quotes or sensationalized media reports. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that the team learned their lesson from last year and doesn't let things get out of hand like that again.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Jets slipped in in 09 due to some some breaks, but they were not playing bad football, either, other than the Atlanta loss, which was painful. In 10 they were playing pretty good football until the second NE and Miami games, and did lose the game to Chicago down the stretch. But they were also solidly in the playoffs, the Chicago loss was a close one, and the NE and Miami games were arguably seen as an unfortunate hiccup in what was otherwise a solid season.

Last year the Jets went 3-5 after going up 5-3, and sucked ass in their last three games. They were in disarray, their HC publicly said he had lost the temperature of the clubhouse, and their Qb had reverted to being a turnover machine.

In other words, last year was different.

#104 Big Blocker, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand you interpreted my comment to imply that it was all Sanchez's fault, but I did not say it was or think it was all on Sanchez. I merely meant it in the literal sense that if Holmes had gotten more catches, and the team were doing better as a result, which result I firmly believe is what he was driving at, and for the record I agree with him on, then he would not have been complaining.

I did not intend to sound like it was all Sanchez's fault, and I have elsewhere gone on record saying they need to upgrade the #2 wideout, no doubt about it.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

In 09 and 10 we were playing a different way though. Last season I would have been thought we were losing first round no matter who we played. In 09 and 10 who here didn't think we would beat the Bengals and Colts. Our D in 09 came together real strong at the end of the season and we finished on a high note. In 10 we got in with 11 wins walloping the Bills with our back ups, losing a close game at Chi where we had a big lead at one time and beating the Steelers in Pitt.

Even if we beat the Phins and got into the playoffs with all the negativity and struggles we had going on I would not have any confidence in making any kind of noise. Sanchez in 09 was the main thing holding us back so his solid playoff performances brought us to a new level. More or less the same in 10. Last season was the first time we were losing regularly for reasons other then Sanchez. Our D was blowing more games than usual, ST blunders unlike anything I can remember, and our O line and WR issues were there all year.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Holmes just bitches too much. He matched his career-high in TD receptions in 2011.

8. Royce Parker

OK, that's fair and it sounds like we basically agree - as our #1 WR Holmes has to get the ball more regardless of what the reasons for last year's drama were, especially considering what he's getting paid, the Jets should be looking to utilize him as much as possible. Personally I think getting a legit threat at #2 will work wonders - hopefully they get it done.

I know most people here aren't that high on Schilens but he does at least have the size and speed to be a deep threat which I think will be a help in opening things up for Holmes. Not that I think he'll be the #2 WR but at least they seem to be going for the right prototype rather than signing more washed up vets like last season.

9. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Anyone else worried that Tone will have a full-blown meltdown if we draft a WR in the first or second round?

10. Royce Parker

Not at all. First of all it I think it's more likely than not that they don't use a 1 or 2 pick on a WR. However, if they do, why would Tone be upset? It would only be a benefit to him to have a stud playing opposite him and taking some of the D's attention away from him.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

He should like it seeing as how last year he was double teamed every play and Plax could never get open.

12. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Holmes is a Super Bowl MVP so I doubt he cares about stats. And his amazing reception is probably a receivers dream come true. It's hard to top that. He wants to win Championships and make the playoffs before anything else. His biggest beef was missing the playoffs. He's probably pissed that he got traded and then the Steelers made another SB. He has a chip on his shoulders too. He wants to win another one. He's got money, he's got stats, he wants more rings.

#112 whichfan, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Do you mean made another a Super Bowl?

14. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Yes made, sorry. I think Holmes wants to prove something too.

15. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

So you think that Santonio is upset that the steelers lost the superbowl without him. Every athlete wants to prove something. Your hero has supposedly been doing so his whole career.

16. tommytom

tommytom Banned

are your surprised. You sign a THUG and he is selfish.

17. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

well said, well said. when your the only one out there that poses a threat your going to get doubled which he was all year. and Plax the good for nothing sack of shit wasnt worth a safetys look. (in response to Revis Is Your Daddy)