Try to trade? Or wait for cap casualtie/s?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 26, 2012.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

All I know is that it is a MUST that in last 2 rounds we need to draft a Punter and Kicker. If we can draft Scotty McNugget in the 7th, then surely we can draft 2 starters where we are hurting in ST. Ground and Pound doesn't mean shit if those 2 positions are shaky.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am still shocked that people want to trade Keller especially since doing that would leave us with zero tight ends . Tanny n company need to hit a grand slam in the draft because in my humble opinion we have many holes yet to be filled. If you trade a guy like Devito or Mauga,,,,both of which I feel are decent backups not great starters at all, that would give us two more glaring needs to fill. Our def line aint loaded with talent and we are old bad thin at linebacker,,,,,I am not exactly sure what the answer is regarding a trade or fa but Tanny better come up with the answer ASAP that's what he gets paid for. Ps we have needed a pass rush for years now and still do not have one,,,,,that is our top,,,,glaring need in my eyes along with a right tackle.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis and Sanchez for RG3. All wildcat all the time.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Agree on the P. I don't really mind Nick Folk to be honest. As I've said before he's quite decent from short to medium range and you don't really want to be kicking too far at the Meadowlands usually anyway so it's not a big deal. If we had a good P to come in and pin some people deep once in a while it would nullify any of Folk's weaknesses pretty much.

OLB has been that one issue that we've had to work around. We ended up with a couple guys that went the other way and didn't exactly pan out like we hoped. It happens. This is the first year we can really start to address that position, and I believe we will no doubt. Adding Maybin last year as a stop gap was really a blessing, this year combining him with a legit passrushing threat on the other end will turn Maybin into a real weapon imo. Especially since he should develop even more with a full offseason in our system. OLB is the least of our worries at this point. Much more concerning to me is FS and RT where we'll likely have to put in at least one stop gap which could end up hurting later on.

Still with all of these draft picks, we should easily be able to replace guys like Josh Mauga if he were ever traded but really just adding depth all over the place. DL, OL, TE, RB, LB, S....we should be investing at least one pick at all of these positions imo. If we stock up an extra pick or two for next year's draft as well I imagine that we'll have addressed the majority of our depth issues pretty well by that time.

5. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can say that OLB is the 'least of our worries'. I do agree that RT and S are at least as important, but not upgrading OLB at all this of season would be an epic failure IMO. I'm excited about Maybin's potential but the Jets D is in dire need of a passrusher regardless. Our excellent CB play is diminished when opposing QBs aren't pressured and it's a shame. Without a playmaker at OLB this D just isn't going to reach the next level.

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Obviously it's the greatest of our worries in that we need to address it. My point is that it can and will be easily addressed in the draft, where there are plenty of promising passrushers that can easily be added to our team for the price of one first or second round draft pick.

Of course we could draft Gholston Jr. but that is a ridiculous argument. We could have addressed passrush through Mario Williams and then he could have torn his achilles in week 1 and we'd be screwed just the same.

It's easy for us to bring in a promising OLB. That's my point.

7. XmalcolmX

XmalcolmX Member

I don't post here very often. But based on that list of free agents. I say the jets should sign OJ Atogwe, and Ryan Grant. Atogwe has talent and is definitely an upgrade from anyone we had last year. Ryan Grant was supposed to carry the packers offense two years ago before he got injured. I feel like he could have 1-2 1000 yard seasons splitting carries with Shonne Greene. Honestly, shopping Cromartie may be a good idea, but only if you can get a 2nd or 3rd. round pick. Then spend their first two picks on OLB, RT. And if a receiver or tight end has made a good enough impression maybe package a couple picks together to move up and grab them. Fill out holes with stop gaps.

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

I have tried to point out that drafting a punter doesn't make much sense before and never get any discussion going, so here goes again.

Conley and the coverage unit were second in the league in downs, third in the league in inside the 20, middle of the pack in touchbacks, middle of the pack in Net yards averaged, first in the league in fair catches. Granted, we punted a shit ton, but he performed well enough in comparison to the people with similar numbers of punts.

He did have his fair share of goof ups, but wasn't awful enough to warrant drafting his replacement when we are looking at legitimate holes at some places on our roster. An UDFA for competition, sure I'm all for it. But I'd much rather go for finding our Marques Colston than a punter who may average 46 instead of 42 gross yards. You should still be competitively drafting in round 6 and 7.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Ridiculous to trade for a safety or WR...a good RT would be ok as I certainly don't trust Tannenbaum to draft one that will be any good.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

We have 10 picks including lots in the 7th round. Burning one pick on special teams shouldn't matter much.

The guy is terrible at actually pinning deep. He's average or below in leg strength. There is no reason we shouldn't be actively looking into options to replace him so I don't know what the big discussion is.

Too many of those stats are influenced by our above average coverage unit and our above average number of punts.

How far does he kick? How well can he pin teams? Those are the two questions that matter.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Is your point that he's not going to find a starting RT in the 3rd round or later if he tries?

Or is it that he couldn't find a starting RT in the first round? If it's the former we'd better stop the presses. If it's the latter, you must be delusional with this year's 1st round RT's. You could throw a stone and hit 4 of 5 of them in the first round.

The much bigger issue is whether we want to burn our 1st round pick on an RT when DuCasse could easily make us regret it if he comes out much improved after TC. The issue is whether we want to invest that pick somewhere else. That's why trading for a RT may be attractive. Not because we can't find one in the draft.

Also, why is it so horrible to consider trading for a safety? You don't think we could benefit from a natural FS that can cover TE's?

#51 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  12. Don

I think my point is more that we are all sitting here saying how much we need a RT and we have a Tannenbaum 2nd round pick entering his 3rd year and nobody thinks he is the answer.

Or to put it another way we signed Wayne Fuckin Hunter for 2.5 mil to be the starter at RT which I think tells you exactly what the front office thinks about Ducasse.

#52 Don, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

But he was picked to make little to no contribution within his first two years. I also think that some people still hold out some hope for him. He hasn't even had a fair chance yet to prove himself with shortened offseason.

Now maybe drafting a project in the 2nd round wasn't the greatest idea. Sure. Just because they took a flyer on a 2nd rounder doesn't mean they're going to now draft a "developmental" first rounder with guys like Reiff, Martin, Glenn, Adams available. Believe it or not, Tanny isn't in second grade even if you don't agree with everything he does.

14. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

fans always over rate the players on the team they root for and this is another example of being a homer!

cumberland and mauga have done nothing in the nfl to give them any value that a team couldn't get with late rd picks in the draft, and keller is a one dimenional player that couldn't command a quality player in return since he's so flawed to begin with. he's not physical to begin with and thats what most teams look for in a tightend.

i remember the end of the miami game where sanchez threw a pic and keller was right near the line backer that intercepted the ball and made no real effort to tackle the guy. could have had him down near mid field but because he's a wuss the guy went all the way down to about the 5, if i remember coorrectly.

the only one of value mentioned is cro, and he's a wuss also. can cover but is a pussy when being physical is required!

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Not that I would make this trade, but imagine Tebow with another versitile QB/WR/RB like Brad SMith, RG III, Vick. It would allow the jets to to not allow the Defense sub in "Tebow" packages, the possabilities are endless.

16. PolygamyWinsChampionships

So you think that nobody in the NFL would absorb Keller's salary and provide adequate compensation in return? Wow.

Well shit, Cro sucks so bad we better get rid of him in a hurry before he ruins the franchise being on the roster. Luckily you admit someone would give us at least a royale with cheese for him.

And Mauga has no value? He is paid half a million dollars a year. He is a proven backup. He's an afterthought. Someone you might piggyback onto a trade to swing a no to a yes.

I was throwing out names to maybe start a discussion on the topic. Seems like you're missing something.

17. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

what team in their right mind would give up such a pic for a flawed tightend? again, way over valuating a player just because he's a jet. 2nd rd, LOL. i think at best a 4th and thats being overly generous.

18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

So now you're quoting someone that isn't me to insult me by calling me a homer? Excellent attack!

19. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

marcus mcneil is still available and was a better than average tackle when healthy. why tanny hasn't had him in for discussions is beyond me. coming off injury should make him a cheap 1 year pickup who if produces, you resign him longterm.

20. Don

What? Nobody is picked in the second round to make little to no contribution, are you kidding? They even expect something out of 4th rounders.