Santonio Holmes 'just wants the ball'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jets83

Jets83 Banned

Well if we win a SB you'll all be in love with him cause if you think he wouldnt contribute youre an idiot so you'll all be wearin his jersey and crying and even if he demanded a trade youd all be happy. The guy isnt being dishonest people!!! At least hes working hard and keeping a somewhat positive attitude instead of being interviewed outside a nightclub or being video taped inside a club gettin "white boy drunk" like some players out there: :pats_suck:

This is a team game you lose as a team and win as a team, so if theres locker room problems its not just one guys fault!!!

2. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Keyshawn Johnson 2.0

3. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

of course they didnt go to the media-they wanted much of what they did shrouded and hidden from the public...besides in 2012 u don't go to the media it is omni-present; unless u studiously avoid it and thats not possible for a pro athlete

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that's really troubling about Holmes issues at the end of the season is that he was blowing off offensive meetings called by Mark Sanchez and doing so in a way that could not be ignored when the Jets still had a shot at the playoffs.

It's not like it was a lost season and the Jets were out of it even during that last week before the Fins game. There were a lot of scenarios where the Jets made the playoffs if they won that game. Apparently Holmes had already checked out at that point though, as evidenced by his behavior that week and his lousy effort during the game which culminated in him getting kicked out of the huddle at the end of the game.

The Jets made a huge mistake when they picked up the guarantee for 2013. Yes it would have been painful as hell to take the dead money hit from cutting him but it's going to be worse next year because the guarantee is that much larger.

The bottom line is that somebody who quits on his teammates is not an asset and now the Jets have reinforced his bad behavior by locking him in for 2 years.

5. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Don't remember who said these kind of behavior problems never get better by throwing more money at the player, but that pretty much nails it, IMO.

6. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

With all due respect, that's pretty immature. I root for the Jets. I could care less about Holmes as a person. Go help my team win. If my daughter starts rooting for him and he becomes a habitual asshole, then maybe I'll start caring about what he does. I like certain players over others but ultimately, I want us to win. Suggesting a team should get rid of a guy because he isn't the nicest person in the world is ridiculous. I think you need to ask yourself if you're looking for a role model or a team to root for. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure your strong opinion of Holmes, like many others, came after the Miami blow up. If that incident didnt happen, this thread and many others wouldnt even exist. The fact that more Jets weren't enraged upsets me more. I want to see guys pissed off when we underachieve all season. Why cant we take things for face value? A guy,who's very competitive, became frustrated because the assinine system coupled with an inconsistent QB, failed to put him in a position that utilizes him properly; if at all. He's by far our best receiver and we neglected to get him the ball. Consequently, he let his frustrations get the best of him. Not cool. But this notion that he's this grave cancer that no1 can win with is ridiculous. His Superbowl MVP says otherwise and so does the games he won in the 4th qtr for us.

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

When a player (captain) quits in the face of adversity it speaks on character, leadership and cancer. What kind of player do we want "supporting" our young quaterback and struggling offense?

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^And you repeat that nonsense only because you heard the media say it. LOL at people regurgitating that 'cancer' nonsense. He didn't quit, he was angry with his teammates, and generally frustrated and got benched. I'd be more worried if he didn't get bothered by the offense as a whole underachieving. Holmes is a great player, and probably the best playmaker on offense. He's here to stay. This happened last year and Holmes and Sanchez have moved on. Why can't you? Jets fans are some of the most stubborn people who hold onto grudges longer than anyone I've ever dealt with. Let it go.

#88 Barcs, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  9. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Even though Holmes is a baby, he is a good WR and the best one we have. No reason to cut him and eat all that money when we actually really need his skill on the field. Hopefully we win a bunch of games this year so he keeps his mouth shut...

10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Exactly....the guy quit on the team even when we still had a good chance to win the game and make the playoffs.

We were 8-5...8-6...8-7......and the guy acted like we were 3-11 or something.

11. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

We wouldnt have made the playoffs if we won the game and if we did make the playoffs, we wouldnt have won a game.

Well the 2 players who have the most "character issues" (Cro n Holmes) have actually showed support towards their QB in the media this offseason. Meanwhile the so called "locker room guys" like LT ripped Mark in cowardly fashion.

Are we rewarding guys for being snitches on in house information but not stepping up and saying stuff when it really matters?

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Holmes didn't quit on the team. He was unhappy with the way he was being used, because the CS had to design the game plan to deal with Sanchez's shortcomings.

I notice that many who are most vociferous here in condemning Holmes are also well known to be Sanchez Fans.

It should be obvious that if Sanchez were more effective at getting the ball to Holmes, Holmes would not have complained at all. He wants to win, and to contribute. What is so wrong about that?

13. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

When he gets the ball, hes a game changer. When he gets the ball in his hands he can win games. Hes been on a winning team his whole life and is used to winning and getting the ball. last year he wasnt getting the ball and losing he has every right to be pissed. So yes get him the damn ball.

14. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

The Jets' 3.8 ypc rushing was 29th in the league. It seems to me that Holmes might be on to something.

15. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

QFT. If all you whiners don't want Holmes, there's a team about 400 miles northwest of you that would be interested in him! :wink:

16. benhamean

benhamean Member

Holmes was reigning Superbowl MVP and the Steelers blew him out of there. That says a lot.

17. Big Blocker

That they made a mistake?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Right - cause that would be a perfect marriage. Holmes pisses and moans with the Jets during an 8-8 year, lets see how he would behave finishing >8-8 for a decade???

What kind of 'shine y'all got into in Catt county these days? With posts like these it sounds to me like you are back into that Coudersport stuff again - yikes.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I agree with you but there were not a lot of scenarios. Just 1 and that was all 4 teams ahead of us had to lose with us winning. Still with even the slimmest playoff chances alive you should be giving it your all.

20. Big Blocker

The way Sanchez was playing down the stretch last year, the Jets were not going anywhere even if they had made the playoffs.