Kraig Urbik - RFA - Buffalo Bills

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Mar 31, 2012.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

With Tony Sparano hooking up with our ground and pound head coach, we are going to need versatile players on our offensive line. In addition we need depth at the Center position just in case Mangold misses some time.

Urbik is tendered to the Buffalo Bills for a 3rd round pick, and will come cheap. He is a right guard by trade, and moved into the center position when the bills center went down. He started 13 games in 2011 and did not allow a sack. Actually, the whole team had the fewest sacks allowed with 23.

IMO, if we could bring him in he could compete for the right tackle position, and/or the right guard position. If he beats out Hunter great, and if not we put him at right guard and move moore out.

It will cost us a 3rd round pick to sign him. Most won't like that idea, and I would argue who you would take a chance on in the third round.

Thoughts?

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about him but I'm hoping we take a RT in round 2 to compete with Vlad/Hunter and the losers provide depth.

3. Urbik isn't guaranteed a starting position here & we have limited cap space. If PT is a question mark and the money isn't there, why would he sign a tender?

That's the problem the Jets run into with bringing in O-line depth right now. Veterans wanna either be starters or get a nice paycheck. Jets can't offer either on the interio(Both Moore & Slauson are better players).and they're gonna give their guy Ducasse every opportunity they can to earn that starting job. Best thing the Jets can do is invest acouple mid round picks on versatile hogh ceiling O-linemen. This is the perfect time to do so b/c they have so many picks & b/c there is a transition within the blocking scheme.

If Ducasse flunks out at RT they can pick up a stop gap veteran in August. There will be plenty available.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

No. Simply bc we arent adding any major pieces to the OL. The front office seems content with who they have and we shouldnt expect any significant player to be added to the OL. Unless DeCastro falls, things wont change.

5. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Thank you. We're not drafting a lineman in the first half of the draft, unless someone they really like falls a ton. We need playmakers, and the FO knows that. OLB, WR, S, RB.....

6. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Although I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to giving up our third in exchange for a proven lineman. The only issue would be the cap hit.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Urbik, is a starter now, and moved around the line. He is young, and versatile. He would cost less than a $1mil in 2012. They would sign him to add depth, and most likely start at right guard. Moore would move out to right tackle.

Ducasse has not proven anything in his time here, and if he can start than we have versatile depth across the line in 1 player.

We can draft 5 players, and still not be guaranteed the ability or depth we can get in 1 player.

To say a player that started 13 games in different positions and not allow a sack is not as good as Slauson or Moore is naive, and narrow minded IMO.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The Bills allowed the fewest amount of sacks? Catt county tells me the Bills line sucks "ROFLMAO"

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

My question is still on the table. Who would be a better alternative in the 3rd round?

Also, how can you say that they are content with were we are on the OL? Just because they guaranteed Hunters salary doesn't mean they won't try to upgrade.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And when they are all losers?

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Playmakers can only make plays if the offensive line gives them the opportunity. It is the foundation of the offense.

Having said that, I wouldn't give up a 3rd for a back-up center/guard. A starting-caliber RT, now that I would give up a 3rd for.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Because there has been numerous reports saying that the Jets aren’t going to address the OL.

Have you heard of any rumblings of the Jets being interested in any OLman in FA? I havent. There are still a decent amount of OLmen out there in FA and they havent brought anyone in. This is probably the biggest hint.

They are going to let Vlad, Austin Howard and Hunter battle for the starting RT spot and seem content with Slauson and Moore at guard with Caleb Schlauderaff backing them up. I dont necessarily agree with this, but that is what it seems like...

In the 3rd round, we might not be able to get someone proven and we could get a bust... Or we could find our starting FS, or our #2 WR.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

And who says Moore can play RT ? This isn't Madden, you can't just plug guys everywhere.

Hell what do we do in a year? Either bid for him in free agency and overpay, or he sucks and we wasted a pick.

This is a draft deep @ guard, id GLADLY take a ton of the guards available in round 3, for the 5 year affordable contracts rookies play under, then give a divisional foe a 3rd rounder for a 1 year rental.

No offense but this idea is stupid, and there's a 0% chance the Jets do it.

And if the Bills line as a whole gave up the least sacks, yet gave up tons in the past, hmm what does this mean ? Either their OL became elite in a short period of time, or they pass less, throw shorter passes, and their qb releases the ball early

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We would be better off using our third rounder to move up for DeCastro in line one. With the rookie wage scale we could lock up a perrenial pro bowler for the next few years on the cheap.

16. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Not sure he could make it as an OT. I'd much rather wait on a cheap OLine backup player to become available without a RFA tender. I'd rather see the Jets draft, let's say, a safety in the 3rd and a future starting guard in the 5th to also add depth inside this year.

17. PoPo

PoPo Member

I would like iloka in the 3rd personally.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Move Tebow to RT.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

wouldnt the bills easily be able to match any financial offer that we made to this player (I think they have more cap space than we do)?

20. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Fitzpatrick isn't worth sacking.