Santonio Holmes 'just wants the ball'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 30, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

"“He wants Sanchez to be successful,” Shaw said. “He’s never told me that this guy sucks. The one thing about Sanchez is that he doesn’t want to make mistakes. And that’s what Santonio says. Ben Roethlisberger would just let the ball go. He doesn’t care if (Holmes) is triple covered. If Ben thought Santonio could make a play for him, he’s shooting it in there. The more experience Sanchez gets, the more chances he’ll take. Then you’ll start seeing more balls to Santonio.”"

I guess that could explain why Sanchez looked tentative at times. Coaching staff on his back telling him not to throw picks and Tone in the other ear saying throw it to me no matter what.

2. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

I don't think this is just about Holmes. In the words of Michael Irvin "Never listen to the WRs on your team. They will screw your team up."

3. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

He is a total dick. But you cant hate on the kids talent level if it wasnt on the team sanchez wouldnt even be starting anymore he makes plays he just needs the opportunity which he did not get last year

4. catsigater

catsigater New Member

That's one area where Tebow and Sanchez are maybe too much alike.

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

This article reeks of bullshit. I think many of these quotes are either taken out of context or being stretched to death.

It's funny how people are speaking for him and they make an article claiming it was him who said these things. I doubt half of this is really true, just some more media garbage.

6. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Look between your legs. There you go tone, got you TWO balls. Hes dirt.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Holmes wants to win. He's not happy about not winning. He got together with Sanchez and now says he wants Mark to succeed.

That was my takeaway.

The guy is the most talented skill player on the team. He should get the ball alot more than he did last year.

That about covers it.

8. VanderbiltJets

I think he just assumes the more he catches the ball the greater the Jets' chance of winning the game becomes...

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

All other things being equal, I think he would be right to think that.

He's the most talented skilled position player on the team. If you're not using him, there's something wrong.

10. VanderbiltJets

Not utilization, but in the purest short-sighted sense. To me, if theyre down 6 first and goal on the 1, holmes will not be as much of a team player as he should be knowing it's best to run the ball. Consequences of high ego low IQ i guess.

#30 VanderbiltJets, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel from reading this article. I think alot of people calling him a dick or whatever are just dismissing him as one and didn't read this. I actually really enjoyed this as it kinda gave insight to his true personality as a player.

He just wants the ball and wants to win -whats wrong with a talented reciever feeling that way?

The real person people should have a problem with throughout this whole thing is Rex Ryan, honestly. Santonio Holmes should have never been named a captain. Its not in his nature, not his personality - There's nothing wrong with having guys like that on your team, there is however a problem when your Coach doesn't recognize this and makes him a captain.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As any Jets fan knows the best way to get the ball if you want it is to write a book with a catchy title such as "Give me the damn ball". In the book you should badmouth your teammates and coaches and refer to whoever has been getting the ball as the "team mascott".

Come on Santonio it isn't rocket science.

13. Jets83

Jets83 Banned

I dont buy any of this. I dont buy any of this unnamed player shit either. Almost every time theres a an unnamed player it seems to be reported by Manish Mehta and the NY Daily News, so i think its all bullshit, made up, and just an excuse to feed off of a struggling team. Ppl seem to not realize the changes. This guy is talented and a winner and he didnt have alot to work with last year. His first year there was Braylon and J-Co to pull coverage and leave Tone in single coverage and be more open, last year who did we have?? Plex who was mediocre and Mason/Kerley who if you ask me Mason was more of a cancer then Holmes is and Kerley was a 5th round pick learning the game so defenses could cover the shit out of tone. We NEED to get a solid #2 to pull coverage and Kerley should do alot better with a full training camp.

#33 Jets83, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  14. Jets83

Jets83 Banned

I agree with this. Rex credits guys a bit too much! He never tells any of the stars that they need to work on anything. He's always praising Tone for being the best there is, when he should maybe tell him what he needs to work on to get better and motivate him to get better

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i love how some of you took that hes "selfish" and a "dick" from an article that speaks about his charitable efforts in africa ... selfish dicks always do shit like that

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Dissapointing to hear him say shit like that.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think you can look at this like when Melo, Kobe, Wade demand the ball in the NBA. Should they be vocal and whine when they don't get it, probably not. They do believe in themselves and think they give their team the best chance to win and get upset when the team doesn't go through them.

We don't what Rex does/says behind closed doors. He never rips guys through the media

18. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I agree. Selfish dicks also always decline to comment about in house situations and fail to throw their teammates under the bus in the media. Damn that Santonio. He needs to "Play like a Jet"

19. VanderbiltJets

I can think of many athletes that gave back a lot off the field but on the field still remained incorrigible egomaniacs.

20. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Holmes likes to win, and he thinks the best way to go about winning is for Mark to give him the ball more. To an extent that is very true, we gave him a big contract so he could be "the guy" that he believes he is. I don't think hes as much of a cancer as people make him out to be. He's a slightly egotistical wide receiver (which pretty much all the good ones are) that doesn't like to lose.

The fact that he refuses to talk strikes me more of a self defense mechanism from the media so they don't blow things out of proportion. Nothing good would come from him talking about things, it would only further the turmoil in the lockerroom if anything.