Tim Tebow: An efficient scorer among the Elites.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by whichfan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There isn't enough data on Tebow to say he is or isn't efficient inside the 20.

I disagree with your entire premise. As the field squezes down toward the endzone their is simply less space for a defense to cover. Regardless of whether you have an option QB or a traditional pocket passer the D is covering less space as teams get closer to the end zone and that squeezes the O.

What the option depends on is defenses breaking descipline and attacking that break. It's not more efficient at all it's a different approach. Offense is always trying to create mismatches and break defenses down, as you reduce the field moving toward the end zone the defenses are covering less area doesn't matter if you're running the option or the wing t.

A QB who can extend plays with their feet and make a deadly accurate throw is much more efficient than a half back running the option with a slow delivery and innacurate arm. The fact that Tebow had some success against teams that defensively broke descipline in a few games doesn't create a body of work that indicates anything.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, he does make arguments that make sense for the most part, this guy has yet to string together a logical argument based on stats. Hence the Bizarro.

3. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

The Broncos didn't lose the Detroit game because of TOs.

Ball control offense doesn't do much when the other offense puts points on the board.

4. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Really? How many NFL teams have won games with a -3 turnover margin last year? Name 1.

5. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Oh, I thought we were talking about the actual game.

6. whichfan

whichfan New Member

We are. While no doubt they could have scored more, I agree with you-their offense did stall -but they would have still lost. You don't win in the NFL with a -3. You rarely win with a -1.

That team did not have the firepower, Tebow or no Tebow, on offense to compete with the likes of the Lions, Pats, or GB. Probably not even Carolina if Newton played well. They had 1 chance to win a football game and one chance alone. It required they win the turnover battle, run the ball, and run out the clock. And they needed someone like Tebow that could create big plays and win on the last possession. That was the only way for them to win. They couldn't win a shoot out of they had to.

But how many teams can? You need more than a quarterback to win a shoot out with the Lions, Saints, Carolina, Green Bay or Pats. You need a team full of elite scorers, not just one, because that's what those teams have. You need the Calvin Johnsons, Smiths, and Welkers and Jennings. And if you don't have that, then you need an elite defense to stop an elite offense, and Denver didn't have that either. You think Peyton Manning is going to be able to do it without adding some serious weapons around him? I don't buy it for a second. He's going to get a couple of upgraded receivers. He's going to get an offensive line. He's going to get a tight end.

#266 whichfan, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm quite disapointed Junc hasn't become a part of this "argument". Maybe he agrees that Tebow = Joe Montana + Mike Alstott?

8. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Who the hell is saying the Tebow is Joe Montana? You're the only person I have seen this from.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

There is less space to cover, but at the same time, one false step can create an open receiver or open running lane. Having a QB who can run in the red zone is a very nice thing to have because it makes the defense have to think more.

That was another thing that made us a good red zone team this year: Sanchez ran for 6 TDs last year. When we would run our jumbo package, the threat (and reality) of Sanchez running a bootleg gave us a lot more options in the red zone and forces defenses to focus as much on containing as they do pursuing and being aggressive in the red zone. One hesitant step can make a small lane to make a play in such tight areas, where you only need a couple yards to score.

I'm not sure if Tebow is more efficient inside or outside the 20, I haven't looked that up.

Bottom line: what Tebow is good at so far is protecting the ball and being a legitimate running threat from the QB position. He's early in his career, so we'll see how much he's able to improve throwing the ball. He has a long way to go for sure. But there are some things to work with here.

Comparing him to Aaron Rodgers and the elite QBs in the league is ridiculous. Sure, in one category he's comparable, but that's it.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You obviously don't read any of the shit you write before you post it.

11. whichfan

whichfan New Member

You mean 4 categories: TD%, Int %, Fum %, and TD/INT ratio. So in reality there's really only 2 Tebow doesn't compare to them. Passing yards and completion %. But there's also 2 others in which they don't compare to Tebow: rushing TD's and rushing yards.

And of course if we're going to talk about actual AIR passing yards, then Tebow also turned out to be the #1 most efficient passer by air in the NFL...

So basically the only gripe we have is he doesn't complete short 2-10 yard passes that get completed in a west coast offense that go for anywhere from 2-50 yards after catch. Well ok, in that case when Rodgers or Brady starts averaging 5.4 yards per carry, then maybe that's when we need to start worrying about Tebow giving up his effective short yardage run game in favor of the high % short yardage pass game.

Until then I see no reason why anyone should ask Tebow to change, or become a traditional pocket passer.

#271 whichfan, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Can you add Montana's career stats to your efficiency chart. I want to see if he's as efficient as Tebow.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

How many times do you guys have to be told that season long stats do not show the improvement Denver's D had mid season?

People here are not a bunch of idiots like you may have gotten used to wherever you were before you came here.

Stop using season long stats and just admit the D kept Denver's O in close games enough to get to that marvelous 8-8 record, also enough to win that shitty division. Ho hum.

14. catsigater

catsigater New Member

This is the best argument for thinking Tebow can succeed as an NFL QB.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Tebow's ypc went down significantly in the last four games, including is best performance against Pitt. I think that is an indication that opponents were not breaking down so often as time went on.

This is a big point for me. If the facts were that Tebow had the kind of game that so far nobody has figured how to defend, that would be one thing. But the available evidence shows that he became less effective deeper into the season.

This is the NFL, and very clever people all around the league break down what teams are doing to score and how to prevent that. We all know how something, like Miami running the wildcat, can cause some real confusion, and be termporarily effective. Then we see the adjustments made, and many or most of these approaches run out of gas, having been countered by the opponent's D.

That is what I think is happening with Tebow.

16. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I take from it that Tebow was an inaccurate passer whose receivers didn't help him out much.

17. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I understand but that's not how drop balls are tracked . If its a wobbly duck that needs adjustment it would not qualify as catchable . I saw every snap of the Broncos last year and there were many dropped balls right in the chest of receivers and Tebow does not throw that many wobbly ducks , it's either in your chest or way off the mark terrible pass that's part of the reason he has low ints

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wobbly ducks and slightly off target balls can be catchable passes too.

19. RevRick

RevRick New Member

I too watched every TT snap last year and it was as exciting/entertaining as any season of football I have ever witnessed. Ugly but a heck of a lot of fun!

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You really believe the option at the pro level is more likely to create an exploitable error by a QB who completes about 43% of his passes inside the redzone?

Give me an accurate QB with a quick release and a little mobility any time any place on the field.

If you believe you can run the ball down the throat of your opponent in a Jumbo package replacing your QB with a running back gives you another big body to put on a defender. You could direct snap to Greene for that.