Straight up Rant....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I bet theyd still figure out a way for it to take 2 hours to get out of that fuckin place

2. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

hahahah i hear yeah...with the last move, our next "splash" would be bringing back curtis martin

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

It feels good to be, "where expectations are high."

Ground 'N pound!

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

No, I think most Pats fans think about Hari Kari when you don't MAKE the AFCCG. And...I sure as hell think that when it's the Jets there, win or lose, and not the Pats they think about Hari Kari with extreme prejudice.

And...I can GUARANTEE you that when it's the Jets and not them it pisses Brady and Bellichicken off more than a losing season.

5. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

well said. Somehow I'm looking forward to a year where we're not talking about the SB. Going back to the 90's, Jets in the superbowl was like saying unicorn in the pet store.

I choose this Jets organization.

6. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I get what your saying but if you don't discuss moves about your team, wtf is the purpose of them forum. You can get your own info through news. I thought the purpose of the forum was to voice your displeasure or happiness for the franchise. If everyone came on here and said "Yes, we're going to the Superbowl", even though that's completely ridiculous, the forum would be wack. Some people go overboard with their pessimism. The "trade everyone and sign everyone else" people...yea they can eat a dick. The "I just became a Jets fan because of Tebow or because they're popular now" people...yea they can eat a dick too.

I feel like the OP unfairly lumps every unhappy fan together.When your team repeatedly ignores problem areas, and constantly resigns guys who are mediocre, I think as fans you should have a right to say something about it. Will it change anything? Probably not. But to me, that's the purpose of a message board. To voice your opinion about your team.

As long as the same bums are being brought back in significant roles, I'm going to have a problem with it. Then we get the famous "his contract is cheap and only for a year" excuse. Otherwise known as the "No risk" excuse. Yes it is a risk. It's another roster spot that could have gone to someone with talent or someone with potential. Theres no way you can tell me Nick Folk and Bryan Thomas HAD to be brought back. I know it doesn't change overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day. But when it was, Eric Smith's bum ass surely wouldnt have been part of it lol.

7. mezzavo

Damn right! I prefer this organization...I prefer being relevant and not a footnote joke. All the pundits will poo poo the Tebow move. But, if utilized properly, he makes our team BETTER! And I'll take that.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

mezz - how about being my def coordinator?? :)

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding what the OP posted, here is most of what i said yesterday:

If a fan really thinks that his team is going to have a great season, and encounters another fan who disagrees, for the first fan to upbraid the second by claiming the second has insufficient loyalty to the team is ass backwards. I will return to this point below.

Alternatively, a fan might believe that loyalty REQUIRES an optimistic perspective.

But that is merely a different form of error. If one truly believes that being a fan requires that one look at everything in optimistic terms, that is really saying you are putting aside your own ability to analyze prospects going forward in a truthful, objective manner, and replacing it with an unknowing and reflexive position of optimism. For such people an absence of optimism is evidence of lack of being a fan. Which sometimes comes out as saying "you are not a real fan" or "you are not a good fan" since an unreasoning optimism is deemed essential to the definition of a good fan.

Alternatively, if a given fan in fact has come to their own assessment, and found reason to be optimistic, compared to one who by his own analysis has come to a more pessimistic assessment, then it is not loyalty that divides the two. To the contrary the optimist who really believes he is right is not having his loyalty tested by the team he follows. It is easy for an optimist to be loyal. He has no reason not to be.

As a result, we can discount here most accusations of disloyalty. They typically come from those who in effect require blind optimism as a condition of fandom, which of course is simpleminded, or have come to optimism on their own, in which case their loyalty is not being tested.

What such people are really complaining about is that others have a different point of view, and either they don't like seeing others come to different conclusions, perhaps because they want to remain comfortable in their optimistic view, and perhaps the false assumptions and assessments that view is based upon, or have no patience with fans who very well might be too pessimistic. But lack of patience in such a context is a form of selfishness, and shows a lack of concern for fellow fans of your team.

If another fan of the team you follow is in your view too pessimstic, it is merely being a good fellow member of the community to point out the error of his ways, rather than just condemning that person in general terms as being disloyal. Indicative statements of this latter point of view, such as "don't let the door hit you on the way out", or "you're not a real fan if you feel that way", are not the hallmarks of good fellowship. To the contrary they show poor reasoning combined with bad manners.

By comparison the good fan, the fan who wants to share fellowship with fellow fans, will have patience with them when their views differ. Is that not, after all, the purpose of discussions on a sports message board?

This forum is not here merely for self absorbed expressions of fan loyalty. Posting here is not a contest of who can best express blind homerism better than anyone else. It is not even merely informational. Discussion has its place, and discussion means understanding different opinions, comparing them to information we have, and perhaps reexamining our own views, and even changing them.

Participating in that sort of process, at least as far as a message board is concerned, is what makes a good fan, someone who in effect looks out for other fans, and helps them reason things out. A bad fan is too dismissive of concerns of other fans. A bad fan seems not to care when he encounters another fan who is having problems with his understanding.

Try to be a good fan, and show some patience.

10. Franchize

Terrific post! Very well said

11. mezzavo

Franchize...no, I'm not lumping everyone together. I was just making a general statement. You are correct, this board is for DISCUSSING moves etc... But, go read some of the threads...there is complaining and then there is full on out Mutiny. And you kind of sum up my point...A fan sitting there calling a move "stupid" or "dumb" or "doesn't make sense" is kind of a waste, don't you think? Are we in the meetings...the film room? Unless you are a top flight coach and purveyor of talent just exactly HOW are we to know who is what they are?

Everyone has a bad year and, clearly, a number of Jets did. What you don't know is do they have a nagging problem? Do they have personal issues that may be getting in the way? We have no way of knowing. You have to look at the body of work and that's the job of the coaching staff. And...if you THINK for a minute these guys do not want to win, from Ryan on down to the water boy then you are mistaken. WHY do you think they would make moves that would hurt the team or make them suck? It's only fan perception. And I'll reiterate...if any one's fan perception is close to accurate I'm willing to bet they are a football coach and have a platform to "bark" from.

No, you are right...this board, like others, is for us to discuss, rant & rave. But to come out the gate claiming this season as lost, or going to suck or whatever is useless, uninformed and a waste of digital space. If you have that lack of faith the Gints are across the water. And I don't mean YOU specifically...I'm just saying you in general terms to the overall fan base.

Personally, I'll await the draft, see who they bring in, listen up for reports out of the OTA's and training camp. Then and only then will I be forming some kind of pending season opinion. Until that point, I'll argue moves and discuss things but I'm not going to boo hoo about something months before the season.

12. mezzavo

Great post blocker! Good perspective! And Jil...I'll be your Def. Coordinator any day!

13. mezzavo

One last note....about optimism. Professional athletes, by their nature, are optimists. They have to be. I've NEVER known a professional athlete that is a pessimist. There is no room for it in the locker room. THAT is how they became what they've become. Optimistic tendencies and a positive outlook no matter what happens. And by that statement I mean in general terms. Generally they are positive people.

14. Franchize

I get your point but you do notice that once you say "fans need to relax" people jump on that bandwagon, too, like pitbulls. Where you may have been saying, the overreactors should chill, there are people agreeing with you that really just want anyone who isn't optimistic to shut up. I'm not a flip flopper. I'm a Jets fan through and through. However, I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic about the upcoming season. I won't say it's going to be a failure because, like you said, we could hit it big in the draft. Plus, guys can still get cut. However, I haven't liked the direction of the team in the past two offseasons.

15. mezzavo

Great response! :)

16. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Props for using 'upbraid' in a football post. :up:

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I knew that someday, I would read a Big Blocker post that I totally agreed with. THIS IS IT! Somebody quote this so Blocker can see me agreeing with him without having the psychological trauma associated with seeing my avatar!

18. JETlife14

JETlife14 New Member

You lost me at upbraid Big Blocker

19. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

As owner would be nice.

20. JETlife14

JETlife14 New Member

We're fucked.