Perhaps it's about time...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I haven't jumped off yet, if that makes you guys feel any better. I don't make these kind of decisions lightly after all.

2. That said, to say Jets lack vision or plan is a serious understatement. Their draft is without clear vision or plan. Their FA acquisition is without clear vision or plan. Their play calls on the field clearly lacked the vision or plan. Do you know why Steelers always remain strong year in and year out? It's because they almost always find starting contributors out of round 2/3/4. Jets? They TRADE the picks away for vets. That MIGHT sound like a same deal - one pick for one player. Not so on cap book. And that's where the entire thing is decided. In a hard-capped world of NFL, you must underpay your talent to win a damn thing - meaning, that pricey FA acquisition flies directly in the face of the very objective everybody is working so hard for. And that is exactly what this FO has been doing the past few years, with Aso pursuit and whatnot. Call me stupid, but to me that is a colossal stupidity, blinded by lack of vision and plan.

3. Last but not the least: I would love to see a coherent effort that rounds off the weakness of the squad. Last time I checked, Wayne Hunter is still playing the starting RT (could have been cut without any penalty), safety position still has one big gaping hole, with a guy playing the other side on one ankle, and the pass rushing OLB has not been addressed properly. So... the front office decides to trade the 4th pick away and get Tebow - especially, with another backup QB already on board. Nice fucking job. Remember, the likes of Kerry Rhodes could be had with 4th round pick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I will stop. As long as the front office lacks the vision and plan, they MIGHT remain strong enough for a few years, but they won't win the hardware when it comes down to it. I just do not see that happening with Tannenbaum leading the front office. I just don't. It is not like the team has a squad to fall back on, like Brady-led passing offence or the ferocious front four from the Giants. In short, this team MAY have some core players, but in general, this team is not good enough to get to the promised land. There, I said it.

2. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

As the song says, "There's no way out of here, when you come in you're in for good"

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

While I agree with your assessment, I just not ready to abandon ship just yet. Especially after the Kotite years and having to watch Jet games in the back of sports bars that didn't respect the Jets enough to put them on the front TV. Hell, I was lucky just to get the game on the TV period. That was up until Parcells. Then I got to sit at the bar and watch the games. Eventually, I was upgraded to a table. Go figure.

I will say this. Decades of watching this team wears a person down to the point that being a JetCynic just means you've been around this team a long time. While I don't expect much from the Leadership of the Jets anymore, I do expect some semblance of a plan.

I didn't expect Rex Ryan to reinvent the modern NFL offense by going with a ground heavy approach when other far more successful franchises, have won SB's with a very good defense, a more than adequate, sometimes lethal passing game, and a running game to keep defenses honest. Do I expect the GnP to get us to a SB? No way in hell. Its just that it appears that by avoiding a weakness in familiarity with the modern NFL Passing attack, Ryan chose to take the easy way out by simply running the ball and use the pass as an afterthought. This concerns me no end as run heavy teams don't win the SB unless they have a defense similar to the 2000 Ravens or the '85 Bears.

That being said, I can see the day when I can consider my to be only a casual fan unless things around this entire organization start to change. The circus has to leave town eventually. The embarrassment has to end at some point as I'm tired of it.

Just an honest opinion of a long time Jet Fan here...

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

On the Rex Ryan point, I don't think when he says GnP he means a heavily running offense. I think he means more plays out of sets where the Jets can run and use play action. The Jets so many times last year when 5 wide shotgun with Sanchez. It just didn't make any sense, especially if Sanchez was hurt which I believe he was. I think even though he is preaching going back GnP he means being 50-50. As of right now, we don't have a QB who can go toe to toe with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, so the best way to stop them is not to let them get the ball. In the end I think GnP to Rex means less of the Schotty shotgun passes and more getting back to caring about field position, putting the defense in good positions, and then that leading to putting the offense in good positions.

At least I hope this is what Rex means. If he means being heavily reliant on the run game to create the offense and scoring, well then I think the Jets will have problems.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Use of season long statistical rankings leaves out changes and developments during the season. As I accurately said, Denver's D was much improved, MUCH improved, from about the sixth game on.

Crediting Tebow with improved play of the D is quite a stretch. It's more the other way around, imo. Tebow did not play on the D.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They will need a back with the quickness Tomlinson had to make it work. Or Jones or Washington..we are not going to be a run first team with Greene as the main ball carrier.

#126 Don, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and we currently don't have that. We never had an explosive running game the first two years, we had one that would wear you down. McKnight maybe can be that quick, game breaking back, but we haven't really seen much out of him.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's where I am very close to right now. Seriously, I don't really give a fuck. That was where I was last season, laughing at the Jets fiasco. I got too tired of getting mad at their stupidity. Like the last Jets game against the Giants, I was continually laughing at their stupidity. I hope to god I don't have to get to that stage, but I am not optimistic now.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If Johnson had any balls at all he would fire Tannenbaum and bring in Polian who is just sitting there looking foolish on ESPN.

10. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

Polian actually has a football mind. He assembled some great talent in Buffalo and when you consider how cheap Ralph Wilson is, that is quite an accomplishment.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Funny you should say that Don as I've been thinking the same thing. Perhaps when the next rebuild happens, Polian will still be around as we need someone flying this Jet that knows how to build and manage a modern NFL Roster. If Woody does indeed give a shit about his franchise, he'll take off the blinders, put the koolaid down for a sec and seriously evaluate Tannenbaum's overall body of work that includes the two AFCCG losses.

As PSL's have gotten his attention, it appears that empty seats are a prime motivator of Woody Johnson. I'm not saying boycott or other such foolishness as they don't work, but just let the natural order of things work through. In the end, fans will stop paying to see the circus as prices will escalate to the point of absurdity. He'll understand that fans are a bit more sophisticated than the homers he's used to fleecing. Especially in this day and age of instant information on just about any topic.

12. Big Blocker

Should we pretty much count on you to continue to post misleading and innacurate versions of Broncos history since Tebow was drafted? I am going to go out on a limb here and opine that you probably know nothing about it before he was.

For example, your version of their 2010 leaves out that Orton was injured, too, and that was the reason and the only reason Tebow started, starting three games and losing two of them.

Reference to the FO giving up on the 2010 season at game six leaves out the videotaping scandal that occurred AFTER game six, and McDaniels's subsequent mid season firing. Before the season even began they lost Dumveril, their best defensive player, for the season, and in the last pre-season game lost LenDale White, their main running back, forcing them to trade for Laurence Maroney from the Pats. Previously they had traded away their best running back, Peyton Hillis, and then their best receiver, Brandon Marshall, in a trade we all around here remember quite well so don't think we weren't paying attention, to Miami. Their schedule was also brutal, with out of division games against the Colts, Titans, Ravens, Jets, 49'ers, Cardinals and Texans.

Your implication that Orton was at fault for the ensuing disaster is belied by his 87.5 Qb rating, far better than Tebow has yet to come close to.

As for last year, we also are aware that Orton started the season still hurt, but despite that the Broncos chose to go with him compared to Tebow. In fact the Tebow Fans were already vocally opposed to Orton starting before the season even began, despite the fact that Orton only lost his job due to injury. Nice. Their best receiver, Thomas, was injured during the off season, and missed the first six games, including all of Orton's starts. Pre-season injuries to defensive starters also had an impact, with some returning before Tebow began starting.

I have no doubt that the Tebow Fans affected Orton's game. Disagree if you want, but he went to Kansas City and won 2 of his three starts, and has since been signed by Kansas City, so they apparently like him.

Yes, I would say your post is misleading at best.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I had that idea not long ago, but many people pointed out that Polian is older than dirt and was trying and failing to mentor his son as a protege. We'd be bringing the same mess here, unfortunately. Polian had a great career as a personnel man but he's too old and probably wouldn't even do the job, but delegate to his son again.

14. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

I think that would be the one caveat with Polian and it couldn't be a father/son package deal. Hopefully Polian realizes that was what caused the problems with the Colts. I would give Polian a shot to mentor someone else though.

15. Big Blocker

Nice join date to be telling a long time poster here see ya.

And if all you think anyone should do is wiat and see, then what's with posting about anything?

Yeah, let's just shut down the site until opening day.

16. abyzmul

That one caveat would probably be universal to any team trying to hire him and is likely why he's still not affiliated with any team.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Actually, he has a history of success:

1. Bills under the cheapskate Ralph Wilson
    2. Carolina Panthers immediately after their expansion
    3. Indianapolis Colts

True, he had help from two really good QBs (Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning) and some ferocious defense at other (Bruce Smith and through expansion pick, Kevin Greene with Panthers) but the only time he had both was with the Bills. (And that Bills team went all the way to the SB 4 years straight.)

Frankly speaking, I still think this Jets squad has better talent all around than the Peyton-led Colts (maybe except the QB spot.)

His drafting with the Colts as of late does worry me somewhat, but then it is not like Tannenbaum was smashing it out of the park with every draft either. Rather, his drafts after Mangini's departure is at best ho-hum. So... with things equal, I would like a GM that 1. knows football and 2. has a clear vision/plan to make things work.

I was thinking about Polian ever since he got canned from the Colts - if there was anyone I would covet out of that Colts, it was Polian more than Peyton. I hope he doesn't sign somewhere soon. When Tannebaum gets canned, Jets will need someone with football mind.

18. Big Blocker

And how is it exactly that we need a fan like you?

19. abyzmul

I've begun hoping for someone from the tree of Pittsburgh or Green Bay.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Great song. Going to be humming that all day now.