Tim Tebow: An efficient scorer among the Elites.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by whichfan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Ok the two defenders creates the perception that it's a more difficult throw than it is. It's not. Only his man can get that ball. Could have been 7 defenders and it wouldn't have made a difference.

And you are wrong, you have plenty of room for error on a sideline throw. Either your receiver makes the catch or it goes out of bounds. One of the safest throws you can make in the NFL.

And look above, Tebow makes the same throw, not just the one you keep seeing the highlights for against the Steelers. Look at his first TD to Eddie Royal.

It's pretty obvious some of the people criticizing Tebow here have never watched him play.

2. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I think you're generalization is a bit broad. The first problem is, there aren't many running QB's, and what exactly qualifies as a running quarterback? Steve Young won a superbowl.

Also, I think Tebow and Cam (and even Ben, to an extent) are a different mold of mobile QBs. They can run over people rather than around them. The difference is Cam and Ben can throw the ball, while Tebow is more limited in his throwing ability.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cam Newton win a superbowl.

Tebow was just as effective as Sanchez in his last 16 games started. He produced similar yardage. His touchdowns were lower, but so were his turnovers. There isn't much difference between them statistically other than completion percentage, and if we're judging QB's strictly by completion percentages then they both suck and Mcelroy should start.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

You still haven't addressed the points of elite WR's or Eli completing 75% of his passes. And yes there is little room for error if your goal is to complete the pass. Too far and the safety can pick it. Too short the CB or safety can pick it. Too far to the left the WR gets pushed out of bounds. Too far to the right the safety picks it. I have seen Tebow play multiple games, I haven't see that throw. You have the use of the internet, go ahead find me a link for it.

You also never addressed my point on how the stats are misleading, actually never quoted me until I said Eli threw for 75% in the game and ran once for -1 yards.

Can you pick a time in the video for me to watch? Im not wathcing 12 minutes

#123 displacedfan, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. TheGreenCantona

Tim will be the only qb in the league taking accuracy advice from Sanchez.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's going to be funny when Peyton Manning makes the Denver receivers play at a level Tebois consider elite.

6. Organized Chaos

Manning can make just about any WR elite. Look what happened to the colts without him? He's probably the best QB to ever play the game, he's easily the best of this generation.

7. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I'm sorry there's nothing to debate. I like Eli, and think he played great, mainly for the same reasons I like Tebow. He's awesome, makes great plays with his feet, buys time, scrambles and makes great throws.

But do you remember his first Super Bowl?

19 34 255 55.9 7.50 45 2 1 87.3 QB rating

Nothing to go crazy about. Pretty freaking average.

Brady's first Super Bowl?

16 27 145 59.3 5.37 23 1 0 86.2 QB rating

Again, pretty average. And my favorite?

Ben Roethlisberger:

9 21 123 42.9 5.86 37 0 2 22.6 QB rating

Well lookie here...truly ELITE!

The point is your "elite" passers haven't really done much lately. Including older brother Manning, who most consider to be a much better passer than Eli. He's 1-1 and been at it for 13 years.

The point I'm making is the idea that you need to be a surgeon in the NFL to win Super Bowls is a bunch of nonsense. The teams who more frequently win Super Bowls are solid, balanced run/pass teams with good QB's and good defenses. Not one dimensional pass happy Elite QB teams.

Brady...won most of his Super Bowls before he actually started putting up gawdy statistics when they were a balanced pass/rush team. Rodgers, won a Super Bowl while running a balanced offense. Got blown out of the playoffs this past year despite his regular season numbers. Forgot how to be a surgeon. Manning...got blown out of the playoffs most years...including by Brady's old balanced Patriots....Brady lost to Manning when he became a better passer. Funny how that works. Bret Farve was slinging it for an eternity. The rest of the time cost his teams playoff games because of throwing too damn much and getting picked off. Tony Romo has yet to make it any where. Same for Rivers.

A lot of the arguments people and the media make about football don't even stand up to recent reality, let alone history.

#127 whichfan, Mar 27, 2012
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

But when it comes to elite scorers in the NFL, Tebow > Peyton Manning.

9. Organized Chaos

Haha, I don't think you ever caught me saying that. I would have taken Manning over Tebow even with a broken neck.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Here we go...

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Not you, but the OP clearly shows Tebow > Manning. It's a mathematical fact.

12. displacedfan

What are you arguing right now? Did I ever say you needed an elite QB to win a Super Bowl? Did I ever say Eli, Ben, Brady played good in their first super bowl? What are you saying?

So are you saying it takes a team to win, and all the Quarterbacks that have won a super bowl recently are better than Tebow? Because thats what it looks like it. I know it takes a team win, you are the one that is saying Tebow is the primary reason Denver was good last year when in fact it was the whole team.

What are you arguing? I don't se eany reason to bring up those stats. I have said multiple things and the first time you addressed me was after I told you the better QB in the last Super Bowl won.

13. displacedfan

Whos turn is it to take Junc up on this point. I went for battle when I first signed up :grin:

14. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I'm not arguing anything with you. I pretty much agreed with you. Except for the fact that the quarterbacks generally regarded as better don't always win Super Bowls, and others have won by playing pretty average or even bad football.

Like I said, the Superbowl is like any other football game. Anyone can win it on any given Sunday. And I actually disagree that it even takes the better team. Sometimes it's the worse team. In fact I've also done research on that, and despite the team with the better winning regular season records, or better seeds making SuperBowls, when it comes to winning one it's almost a dead even 50-50.

People like to create sayings, and cliches surrounding the playoffs or Superbowl. Truth is, any time you have a single elimination playoff system that requires at most, stringing together only 4 wins to win a SuperBowl....just about any team can win one once you get in the playoffs.

It has just as much to do with luck and the refereeing as it does about the skill on the QB or the team as a whole.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Great post. Statistically might a QB as inaccurate as Tebow be expected to have less INT’s. I’m assuming if you can’t get the ball into the area your WR is expected to be in you might have an excellent shot of missing the defender?

I guess what I’m getting at is if you were to use a statistical argument you would be arguing that Tebow’s low percentage of INT’s is either because he intentionally throws the ball away, can’t hit the side of a barn and is likely to miss the barn or there simply isn’t enough statistical data to draw any conclusions about his future INT rate?

16. displacedfan

I think Skill of QB does come into play once you make the playoffs. You obviously need a good team, but look who has won the SB recently, all above average QB's. And I think most of the time, one of them have played an outstanding game along the way

17. whichfan

whichfan New Member

:lol:

It's amazing the stupid freaking arguments some come up with when the real obvious answer is Tebow's NOT an inaccurate quarterback.

Completion percentage is not a measurement of accuracy.

He's a low attempt passer and is very smart in throwing the ball away. Denver's receivers ranked 32nd in dropped passes. Go watch his "misses" on youtube. They are there for you to see the many, many, many perfectly thrown balls that got dropped.

Put the 2 and 2 together. Or 3. Low attempts per game + dropped passes + thrown away balls = a low completion %. Automatically. Nothing to do with accuracy.

IF he WAS an inaccurate quarterback he would have a HIGH percentage in interceptions. A quarterback is much better JUDGED for his accuracy and decision making by interception % than completion %. Interceptions mainly has to do with quarterbacks making stupid throws or inaccurate throws. Completion % is a shared stat.

I can't believe the stretch of some people. You all are losing it. Amazing how a few numbers can make people lose their freaking minds when it comes to Tebow. Never seen anything like it.

#137 whichfan, Mar 27, 2012
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Finally we are on the same page.

19. displacedfan

This is why we have a problem. Tebow has multiple times dirted balls, overthrew/underthrew open receivers, and has looked lost on the field. To say he is not inaccurate is wrong.

Then you go and find every excuse in the book to why completion percentage is not important then look at interception percentage. Guess what, interception percentage goes on a lot of non QB factors too. It is a shared stat. While you criticize people for looking at completion percentage as a QB stat you then go turn around and use interception percentage or interceptions which is not soley a QB stat either if we use your criteria for completion percentage.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Are you really going to try and argue that Tebow is an accurate passer compared to other NFL QB's? Stop trying to makeup some statistical excuse for his terrible accuracy. We've all seen the games. We know how ridiculously inaccurate he is. Has he hit some on target passes, sure he has.

I can never read anything you write as having any type of credibility after reading you try to argue Tim Tebow is not an inaccurate passer.

Receivers drop a lot of Tebow passes because they aren't accurate and they're wobbling like a wounded duck. Watch these guys when they have a real accurate QB throwing to them this year. Understand that accuracy in the NFL is a very precise term, and that an accurate pass needs to hit the receiver in the hands as they run the route in stride and it needs to be a spiral. A pass in the NFL isn't considered accurate if it hits them in the back shoulder and they have to slow down. This isn't college football.