Perhaps it's about time...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

True fans don't ride the bandwagon

2. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

The problem I have is that the Jets are using tunnel vision concerning player longevity. Two, possibly three players are the best in their positions, Revis, Mangold and Harris. There is a finite time that you have to assemble a team before your best players begin to decline.

That means you fix your weakest areas as soon as possible under the allotted cap through draft and free agency. Rarely have Super Bowl teams become contenders because of a splash acquisition. Although I can't stand the Patriots, they have been successful because they took advantage of the excellent players on hand and filled the holes as needed. The Raiders became a team that lost sight of this and began drafting flash instead of filling the holes.

At some point, unless you are lucky, the declining players become greater in number and you have to rebuild. The Jets window is getting smaller in this regard.

Someone once said what I think is the quintessential statement about loyal Jets fans: "Jets fans don't cry, if they did they would dehydrate and die".

If you are unable to grasp Zach's frustration and can only recommend that he not let the door hit him in the ass then it makes me question how long you've been a fan. Jets fans are a lot more resilient than the fans of many teams. Most are lifelong and have never been fans of another team. Jets fans have the balls to wear Jets shirts after a loss. But Jets fans are going to voice their displeasure with owners, coaches and players when they see fit. Try another market and see the reality of a short outcry when things get bad then a moan and then off to another team.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Fox unlike Rex actually took a team to the SB. Fox unlike Rex was part of management that unloaded Tim Tebow because he was a distraction.

I have grave doubts about Soprano and Rex has shown no interest in the Jets O with the exception of being responsible for the terminator a decidely limited Fullback.

Don't forget that great 11 win team was destroyed in their one home playoff game primarily because the run was stuffed and when they had to air it out they couldn't.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since I'm closer to my own impending doom than you are I'm less patient.

Objectivity is highly over-rated especially by those claiming it. Very few if any of us are using a scientific method to formulate our opinions if we did, we would all have concluded that both Sanchez and Tebow suck.

5. TimeSquareTim

TimeSquareTim Banned

see ya! there's plenty of us onboard that you won't even be missed.

6. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Fox also has 7 seasons going .500 or lower out of his 10 seasons as a head coach. 3 of those seasons he was .438 and in one of them, he was .125

over 10 years, his total record, including playoff games is 86-82. I guess in the NFL, that makes you a great coach ??

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

What? We have Tebow now. That means we have GOD on our side now....the anti-Belichick.....

....hey, it can't hurt, right? :grin:

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think Fox is a good coach. Rex did a great job here in 09 with a very talented team. He did a great job in 10 with a less talented team and he did a bad job in 10 with a less talented team that was still good enough to make the playoffs and folded down the stretch.

I don't know how good or bad Rex is going to be? I don't assume he is going to become a great coach, I fear we may have seen the best of him now that NFL teams have seem to be able to beat both his and his brothers defensive schemes and I have little confidence about his knowledge or plan for the O.

Barry Switzer has a great pro record, not a great HC.

#68 Biggs, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

His career as a football coach doesn't make him great, but he's a better coach than you are portraying him to be because of a team personnel decision on one player who you are fanatical about.

10. Demosthenes9

Thing is, there's a difference between what you are talking about and what is being said in this post:

That's not simply voicing displeasure, it's saying "I'm going to take my ball and go home".

I can understand a fan hollering, yelling and bitching that ownership sucks and should be drawn and quartered. That the coach should be dropped in a vat of hot grease, and than player X, Y, and Z should quit football and go into a job they are better suited for, like selling women's panties at Macy's or somewhere.

But to say "Whaaaaaah, I'm gonna stop being a fan" ??

11. Demosthenes9

Oh, no, you got that one wrong. I was pissed about Fox back before Tebow was let go. I just don't see how the guy was even considered for Denver. Guessed that it had to be a situation where there really was no one else.

12. Demosthenes9

I think Fox is a great guy, personally and all that. I think he has a pretty good locker room and is great with the players. I just question his ability to, you know, actually coach :)

As for Rex ? Love his brashness at times, but he does go over the top. Love what he's done on defense for the most part. Will see what happens with the O.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think its a bit unfair to draw a major distinction from a Super Bowl loser to a championship game loser. Both had success and came up just short.

Second where is your evidence that Connor is "a decidedly limited fullback"? What has he done to help you draw that conclusion?

Third - if Rex has no interest in the offense then why is he hell bent on installing the offensive scheme he wants? He wants ground and pound and the wildcat. The fact that they are bringing in personnel and coaches who clearly match this desire shows that he actually has a strong vision as to what he wants the offense to look like. Just because he's not coaching it directly doesn't mean its not going to evolve based on his vision.

Finally I agree that running the ball is useless if you can't air it out. I hope the Jets realize that they need to be balanced in ability even if they intend to do one thing more than the other. The Jets don't want to repeat that debacle.

14. abyzmul

John Fox's defense is the only reason Tim Tebow sniffed the playoffs.

15. Demosthenes9

And Tim Tebow is the main reason why the Broncos were even relevant last year, let alone that they made the playoffs.

Even with the D stepping up, the Bronc's weren't going anywhere with Orton. Hell, I doubt they would have won 5 games.

BTW, the Defense was Dennis Allen's :) He's kind of known for having good defenses :)

16. abyzmul

They were 'relevant' because Tebow is a polarizing figure and because they were the above-averagest-team in the weakest division in football.

17. pheasant

pheasant Undrafted FA

Denver has a good defense?

They were 20th in the league last season in total defense.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think Rex had much to do with Sparano's hire just my opinion but it's my opinion so I don't agree with you about Sparano any more than I thought Herm Edwards had anything to do with the hire of the late Mike Heimerdinger.

When he did call the plays in Dallas they were definetly a running team first but not a team that put a running back under center. They took the next step the following year when Garrett called a much more balanced pass run O. Say what you want about the Miami Wild cat, it was a decided failure if your goal is to go far in the playoffs.

19. Demosthenes9

They were relevant because they had been 1-4, brought in Tebow, went on a 6 game winning streak with a number of thrilling come from behind victories, and then beat the defending AFC champs in the playoffs.

20. Demosthenes9

Their D did step up and play very well in many games. In others, they got their asses kicked. :)