Could we make a trade for Stewart?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetscrazy87, Mar 19, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We aren't running the ball 75% of the time, that would be an absurd run/pass ratio.

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

While this is a player I would love to have on the team, this trade would leave us with the same huge holes we have now and one less draft pick to fill them.

If we could indeed get him for a 3rd it would be tempting, though, as we aren't likely to find a starter for one of our biggest need areas (safety, RT, pass rusher) in the third round.

3. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

I have to say your wrong here, Stewart is more proven and a better reciever. I do like Bush but he isnt as good as Stewart and i wouldnt sign him to a big deal he fell far in the draft because of a major leg injury...he has a rod in one leg to me just a bad feeling.

4. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

keller and a 3rd for jstew

do it...dooooo it

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Ryan says 50 times a game...I would think that's 75%. Of course we won't but that's what he would like to do. In any even we won't be doing that with the backs we have now.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

But he is a FA..no trade required.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why would you believe anything Ryan says? You'd probably have to go back to the 50's to find a team that ran the ball 75% of the time.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!

9. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Stewart's cap hit is only a little over $1 mil. He hasn't had huge numbers in his career, so he shouldn't command top dollar. I love his versatility. I would LOVE for the Jets to get him, as I wanted them to do 3 years ago.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets go Ground and Pound they'll run the ball about 50% of the time. Maybe a bit more than that. That's kind of the definition of the term in today's NFL. The imbalance they had in 2009 was because they had a raw rookie at QB and they were hiding him. This is similar to the imbalance that the Steelers had in Roethlisberger's first couple of seasons.

What they did last year was pass the ball 58% of the time. That's what got them in real trouble. They'd have won another game or two with a 50/50 ratio.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Jonathan Stewart is 10 times the back Michael Bush will ever be...

That may be exaggerated, but the point is, is that Stewart is a lot better of an option for us.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I’ve been talking about this here for the past few days with reports of Tolbert going to Carolina. I think this is a no brainer for us. Carolina has 4 quality backs and gave Williams a huge contract, just signed Tolbert for a 4 year deal and have Cam Newton who had only 16 less rushes than Stewart last year. They should be looking to get what they can for him now before they lose him to FA next.

Looking at it from our perspective, the Jets have established themselves as a ground and pound team. Problem is, is that we dont have the RB’s to follow through with this. Rex wants to pound the rock and so does Sparano... I for one am not confident in the RB’s we have now. Stewart is only 25 and hasn’t had a ton of carries. He is the ideal ground and pound RB this team needs right now.

I think we could get him for a 3rd rounder this year. He would make an impact on this offense that I think only Trent Richardson or maybe Michael Floyd could do in this entire draft.

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Trade for Jonathan Stewart Thread

Stupid, stupid, stupid move on my part. Just woke up. Please merge this. My bad.

Carolina has signed Mike Tolbert to give themselves an absurdly deep backfield (Tolbert, Williams, Stewart, and Goodson).

Should the Jets trade for Stewart? I read somewhere that the Panthers are shopping him for a "second or third round pick", and the Panthers haven't signed him to an extension so his contract isn't that bad. I think getting Stewart would solidify the ground-and-pound, filling the void left by LT.

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Sadly, from what Im hearing, the Panthers are unlikely to trade Stewart :(

15. VanderbiltJets

I read they're looking for a second or third round pick.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Per Evan Silva on Twitter:

"Multiple team sources" tell the Charlotte Observer that the #Panthers are unlikely to trade Jonathan Stewart

17. VanderbiltJets

Don't forget Goodson

18. VanderbiltJets

Are they going for a four-back rotation Tolbert/Williams/Stewart/Goodson? I have to hope they're just letting teams know that they're willing to trade Stewart but not for less than they think he's worth...

19. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I just like that we are discussing running backs. This is a major need for our offense.

Rt
    Rb
    Wr

Dire needs for the offense in that order.

20. VanderbiltJets

"The #Jets haven't reached out to the Panthers regarding Jonathan Stewart, per source. Doesn't mean they won't, but no discussions as of now."