KC Joyner: Jets make right call on Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Uhh, Pereiro. If the Defense didn't have that "off game", the Jets are in the SUPERBOWL. And if the Team is in the SuperBowl, I think it's safe to say that Sanchez would be excused from just about EVERYTHING at that point. lol.

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The defense is great, on average, but situationally mediocre. Specifically in situations where the ball game is on the line and a stop will clinch it, the D plays below its level. That is disappointing.

3. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Say you could pick any quarterback who's currently in the league for your team right now. Who would you go with? I played that game with myself and I had Sanchez 11th.

Wait, 11th? That high? Yes. Because it's not about absolutes in who's the best, but you have to take everything into consideration. Ahead of Sanchez, I had Brady, Roethlisberger, Schaub, Rivers, Eli, Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler, Brees, Newton. So not bad to come after those guys.

He's ahead of Vick (age and injury), Romo, Ryan (anti-clutch), Flacco and Freeman (inconsistency), Tebow, Dalton and Bradford (we still don't know enough about these guys). In three years, he's accomplished more in the playoffs than anyone in this paragraph. Once Peyton proves he's healthy he'll knock Sanchez down to 12th on the list -- but that's OK, because in theory, you can get to a Super Bowl with that level of quarterback.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Especially when you consider that Sanchez is still young enough to improve. He could certainly improve himself into the top 10 this year.

And just to appease the other side of the argument. He could also play his way out of the top 20. I think the former is more likely, but i will concede the possibility of the latter exists.

5. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Yeah, like fixing the O-Line. They have more money to spend, so there's no excuse if they don't get help in that area. :sad:

6. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

7. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

he's not better than romo, who has much more talent, or matt ryan as a pure qb...he's also not as good as carson palmer either

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can't make that comparison at this point, the Carson Palmer one. Palmer sat on the bench his entire rookie season. When he got to play in year 2 he was the same age that Sanchez was last season and he had roughly the same season although not quite as good.

He had Rudi Johnson who was a better back than anybody Sanchez has had the privilege to play with behind him and Johnson took more than a thousand carries in Palmer's first 3 seasons.

He had a young Chad Ochocinco to throw too and a young Chad Ochocinco is *much* better than anybody Sanchez has had to throw too so far.

The 2nd receiver Palmer had available to him? A top possession guy by the name of TJ Houshmandzadeh. When Palmer was still looking kind of raw Ochocinco and Housh were catching 178 balls between them. Rudi Johnson was running for 1,400+ yards and 12 TD's.

Palmer's second year? Same guys to throw too and same back behind him.

His third year? Same guys to throw too and same back behind him.

Even trying to compare the chaos that has swirled around Sanchez in his first three seasons to the cushy setup Palmer got is impossible. It's apples and oranges.

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

The Carousel of Receivers is unreal. Still searching for that all purpose back. OL not setup for success; Not a 2TE 3 years and going.... and he's suppose to lift the lvl of play?

10. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

The way the front office has handled the wide receiver position over the last 3 years, which were critical for your franchise child at QB is laughable. It could be the biggest fluke in all of sports. For me at least.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that's amazing is that Mark Sanchez has now completed 782 passes for the Jets. His leading receiver at this point is Dustin Keller with 164 catches. The second guy is Santonio Holmes with 103.

In Carson Palmer's first 3 seasons he completed 932 passes. His leading receiver was Chad Ochocinco with 279 catches. The second guy was Housh with 241 catches.

Sanchez two leading receivers have caught less passes than Chad Ochocinco did all by himself. They've caught 26 passes more between them than Housh did,

12. broncoFan!

broncoFan! New Member

Sanchez needs to be more consistent. He has looked great in the playoffs, I won't lie. I believe he is one of the only QB's to beat both New England and Indy (when they had Peyton obviously). But his inconsistency is incredibly frustrating.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are aware of the musical chair for the WRs that Jets GM has been playing the past three seasons, right?

14. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Brady IS a more valuable commodity than Sanchez at this instant. Manning surely is not. You might not be able to realize that value in a dream team pick up game or even in the life of one contract....but I think Sanchez has more theoretical value to a franchise (that can retain him throughout his productive career at market value) than a whole, whole, bunch of quarterbacks.

Are these guys significantly more valuable than Sanchez in the given upcoming years? Sure. But after a period of the next 3-4 years (very generously on average) both of these guys are retiring. Maybe these guys are worth $18M to team production each of those years or whatever you want to come up with. Maybe Sanchez is only worth $10M. Still it's only going to take Sanchez 2-3 years to make up that difference in value after they retire (conservatively), and he'll be just entering his prime when that happens. I, for one, am very happy to be currently sailing on the Mark Sanchez ship. That sounds weird I admit it.

#54 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Says the guy with Teblow in his avatar.

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Sorry but at this current time and anytime in the past Mark is not or has not demonstrated that he is even in the same league as far as skills to the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees etc....

Mark is not worth $10 mil a season at this current level of production, he really needs to step up. This is a make or break year for him, if he doesnt succed this year he needs to go plain and simple....

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why don't you compare Palmers 3rd season, 2nd playing to Sanchez 3rd season 3rd playing. Before he was injured he had improved to the point where he was a top 5 NFL QB and playing at an elite level. Once he got hurt he was never the same but Palmer was in a different class than Sanchez before the injury had radically improved from year 2 his first year starting to year 3 was throwing more TDs less Int's had a completion rate of over 67 and was throwing the ball further down the field.

Sanchez improved statistically last year but down the stretch he was awful and a prime contributor to our failure to make the playoffs. The real similarity between the two is after they were beatin to a pulp they both craped out. The difference is Palmer had a devestating knee injury.

#57 Biggs, Mar 12, 2012
  18. PolygamyWinsChampionships

My point isn't that he produced $10 mil last year or that he necessarily will produce it immediately next year. It was just some random hypothetical meant to represent an average of Sanchez's value in production relevant to an aging Brady or Manning prorated for injury/retirement etc. Over the next three years with Schotty gone and the pieces needed to succeed likely finally being in place for the first time, I'm banking on us seeing a significant bump up in production from Sanchez beginning this year. That increase should only continue to compound in years 2, 3, etc. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to assume that a maturing Sanchez can contribute at least 55% as much to a team in production over 3 or 4 years as a Brady or Manning entering the twilights of their careers met with diminishing skills and compounding injuries. No, I dare say that is a very conservative estimate if anything. There is no guarantee that your boys will even be able to complete the 4 years without getting their careers ended or choosing to step away on their own. Worse for your argument, there is even less of a guarantee that Sanchez WON'T start to put up close to Brady and Manning in their prime numbers for the next 10 years once he hits his stride. For these and other reasons I think you don't have a leg to stand on.

Rogers, no problem. That cat is the cream of the cream and he isn't going anywhere for a very long time. We live in prayer that Mark can hold a candle to him when he's ready in a few years. I'm purely talking about aging all time greats that just have one last hurrah in them. Sure it would be nice to have them in town for a couple years, but at what cost? Brett Favre will mean nothing to the Jets in 10 years. Just a footnote in the history books. That was an extreme example but it's close to home and the moral of the story is in there. Mark is our guy, and from where I'm sitting he's a very valuable commodity indeed.

#58 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 12, 2012
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Have you considered that their are some great potential young guns in and coming into the NFL that likely have far higher upsides than Sanchez? Cam Newton, Bradford, Luck, RG3, Staford.

Sanchez may make a huge leap and hopefully he does but right now he is a guy who is playing like a bottom of the half QB in a league that is adding some great talent at the position ever year.

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Of course I have. I was making a general point about the value of Sanchez to a franchise over an aging guy with major health concerns like Manning or even Brady. I don't pretend to think that Sanchez is the best developing qb in the NFL nor do I expect him to necessarily be a top 3 qb at any point. But he could easily mature into an Eli Manning type contributor. Not necessarily the guy that wins all the accolades or makes you think that nobody else could possibly do it better than him. Just the guy that can go out there and win games and even championships no questions asked.

Just because Peyton in his prime was more quarterback than Eli doesn't mean that his value to a franchise is 3 times as high. Strongly doubt it's even approaching twice as high. Don't forget that the #1 stud gets the #1 paycheck which is a lot of #1 players that you can't sign when you've got him on your roster.