Where do you WANT Peyton to sign ?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by dcm1602, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Where does Peyton Landing benefit the Jets the most ?

1. Jets

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Dolphins

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Chiefs

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Broncos

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Cards/Seahawks

51 vote(s)
    58.0%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yep another Peyton thread, although with a different purpose.

Really didnt feel like making a new thread for this, but figured theres gonna be 1000 new Peyton threads anyway.

But where should we WANT Peyton to sign ?

Truthfully I don't want him to sign with the Jets, unless it somehow means we keep Sanchez and Sanchez learns from him (which I STRONGLY doubt happens).

Should we want him to end up in Miami ? They would likely have to cut tons of talent to free up cap (Fasano + Matt Moore), as well as miss out on resigning/signing any other key free agents. This could really be boom or bust for us if he landed here.

Buried someone in the NFC on a team like Zona/Seattle where he would be completely irrelevant to us, likely never winning a playoff game.

Or some of the dark horse teams like the Chiefs/Broncos who would have a legit shot at being a playoff contender.

Personally I think for the Jets the worst places for us that he could land would be

Here (IF we had to cut Sanchez) or Denver (I think this makes the playoffs much more difficult for us)

I think the best place for the Jets for Manning to land would actually be Miami. This move would carry such great risk for them, and they would basically be FORCED to make a bunch of stupid "win now" cap moves, many of which could significantly benefit us. If they sign Peyton they likely have to cut Moore/Fasano we instantly become one of the favorites to sign both, and Miami is also considered one of our biggest FA competitors for us to go out and grab a RT.

So in my personal opinion I think Peyton in Miami (assuming they grossly overpay which we all KNOW they will) is the best thing that can happen for the Jets in the Peyton Sweepstakes.

2. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

I just want one fucking super bowl win in my lifetime.

I will take a Peyton signing, the one big win and then 50 years of suckage...

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I really don't think Peyton puts you guys closer, I truly honestly dont.

Dont get me wrong, I think if Peytons in Miami they will finally win a playoff game in one of his 3 seasons.

But I dont think he puts them anywhere remotely near a superbowl.

You guys have a shredded offensive line, a below average backfield, and an overrated defense.

I think Peyton makes you guys ignore your real needs, and go all in for a shot at the title, when you really arent that kind of team.

Ill pretend that Peyton wont suck or anything because I dont think he will. But at the same time he wont be the elite guy who can carry a team on his back. so all him going to Miami would do is set you back in the long haul.

Not to mention itll leave you guys full of holes all over your team and without a franchise qb yet again in the very near future.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would love to see a team like Houston or Atlanta go all in on Peyton so we could upgrade our QB on the cheap.

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I dont think Schaub or Ryan would be cheap at all.

Hell I even have strong doubts that Ryan is an upgrade, hes got FAR better weapons than Sanchez.

And Schaubs had 3 excellent years in a row, he would easily command big money.

I think of all the Peyton scenarios the only one that realistically nets us a QB with any promise is if he goes to Miami and we get Moore.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I want to see Peyton, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed all one team. I don't know why, but it really interests me as a NFL fan.

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I honestly hope he goes to miami... I dont think he will ever be that ever so confident manning...

8. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I hope he goes to Seattle where we don't have to play him, and he can't muck up the playoff race for us.

That said, from a schadenfreude perspective it would be hilarious to see him sign in Denver. Could you imagine the "Why would Tim Tebow want to sign with the Jets" thread?

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

anywhere but here

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

The only way Manning to Miami would be good for us is if Manning ended up injured before the season starts.

I find it funny most of you think this wouldn't be bad for us.

We've been having a hard time taking care of Miami with bad qb play. Manning with Bush as a safety valve and Marshall as a top target changes that offense completely. Their defense is underrated too.

I don't think people realize how close most of their games were when they tanked the first half of the season.

Miami is the only place I definitely don't want to see Manning. Denver also comes to mind.

As the OP said though sea/ari would be ideal since it would be irrelevant unless we met them at the super bowl.

11. nyjunc

You don't get bonus points for losing close games, most teams losses in this league are close where a play or 2 can change everything. Miami was 0-7 for a reason then started playing "well" when the season was over. Their D isn't bad but thye have a new DC and new system this year so let's see how that works out.

Bush would be a huge player catching passes but I have a hard time believing he'll be an every down back again and unless Daniel thoms steps up who is running the ball for them? Their OL also isn't very good.

Do I want him to go to Miami? No but I'd rather see him in Miami than see him play for us.

By the way, in Miami's 0-7 start they lost 4 of the 7 games by double digits

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if he does in fact land in miami - the jets are closer to the bottom of the afc east than the top....

thats a bold statement but i think many underestimate the issues on the jets, the roster, and even the cap situation.

we really need a stellar off season to get me to re-think the top statement.

13. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Let him break his neck in the NFC

14. nyjunc

we have a cap guru running the team and we have plenty of talent and guys that know how to find talent. We'll be better off w/o peyton for the long term.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody cares about the long term..we have lived the nightmare of the long term for 43 years..win now at all costs and let the future take care of itself..that has been the Jets plan since 2008 and we have gotten closer in the last few years then in the 40 before that with the exception of maybe 2. I hope they get Manning and Wayne and anybody else they can figure out how to add too.

16. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I read espn this morning and saw that the Broncos were one of the few teams that have been in contact with Manning's representatives. I hope he goes to Denver and puts Tebow back on the bench.

17. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think he is going to end up in San Fran. They have a great d and if you add him to that O watchout. The O line improved alot last year so that shouldn't deter him. They have a running game. and they can keep Alex Smith as the back up. My only reservation would be if he could get along with Harbaugh.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets sign Manning you may well see this in a few years.

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I didn't mention him going to us.

Yeah you don't get bonus points. My point is the phins aren't as bad as everyone thinks and a healthy manning there could leave us 3rd in the division race just as quickly as most ppl think it would blow up in miamis face

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The current AFC pecking order in my opinion:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
    2. New England Patriots
    3. Baltimore Ravens
    -------------------------
    4. Houston Texans
    5. San Diego Chargers
    6. Tennessee Titans
    7. New York Jets
    8. Cincinnati Bengals
    9. Miami Dolphins
    10. Oakland Raiders
    11. Denver Broncos
    12. Buffalo Bills
    13. Cleveland Browns
    14. Indianapolis Colts
    15. Kansas City Chiefs
    16. Jacksonville Jaguars

It'd be really easy for a couple of the teams in the 9 to 11 spots to leapfrog the Jets and put the Jets in the bottom half of the AFC. It'd also be pretty easy for the Jets to hop over the Titans or Chargers and be a perennial 6 seed for the next few years.