A Hybrid Player: Is Evolution Imminent?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Uniform Bomber, Feb 1, 2012.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

With the rapid increase of versatile Tight Ends - i.e., those who can block and play WR equally effectively - many Defenses find themselves facing match-up nightmares and no answer. Players such as Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Vernon Davis, and New England's duo create major problems for opposing Defenses.

The combination of size, strength, and speed cause so much difficulty because DBs are generally less physical and too small to guard these TEs, while LBs are generally too slow and not fluid enough in coverage. So when trying to match-up, Defensive Coordinators must essentially pick their poison.

The other day, an NFL analyst (I forget who, but it might've been Merril Hoge) commented facetiously that teams should use their TEs on Defense to guard this modern, more common breed of dual-threat TE. Of course, this almost certainly wouldn't work, but his point should be heeded.

One of Rex Ryan's strongest qualities is his Defensive ingenuity; if any coach is going to concoct a unique plan - maybe even invent a position - it's him.

Is it possible (?or probable) that, in the near future, we see a new Defensive position -- a hybrid type player whose specialty is to defend the modern TE? What would this position entail, and what specific attributes must this player possess?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some sort of experimentation from Rex, and thus, possibly the creation of a new Defensive player in football.

2. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any doubt this will happen. If we see the need teams around the league will see it. Chipping a tight end at the line and hoping the rush gets there before your lb or safety gets beat just isn't cutting it.

It seems every year Rex trys to bring in the defensive personell to stop the elite offenses and this is this years trend so I wouldn't be surprised if Rex gets some hybrid linebacker/safety types in here to try and cover these tight ends next year.

3. nyjvilma51

nyjvilma51 New Member

Already have this type of position in football. Not used as much due to the demands of the position but its known as the "Kat". This position is usually filled by an athletic LB with the cover skills of a safety. His job is to play the strong side (TE Side) and cover the Tight end. This position is usually a more athletic LB due to the demands of covering a TE and also playing run support.

However, with the way players are designed today those players have disappeared. What I mean by this is that there are no Linebackers with cover skills of a safety because of the growing size that is needed to play the position of Linebacker.

A player that does come to mind that may, that is a big may, be able to play such a position would be Maybin. Now, he has the size and "speed" to play it but i highly doubt he has the cover skills. Can he learn? Maybe but it depends on his athletic ability and learning curve.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ill be honest I think its FAR more important for us to concentrate on getting 2 of these monster players on offense, before being the slightest bit concerned with getting the far rarer breed of guy on defense who can cover them.

There are only a handful of teams that you can count on one hand who have these dangerous guys, however there are 31 other teams that having these weapons on offense would be useful against.

And hell when you got a corner trio like us its always possible to put a man corner on one of them.

Even with teams like NE I would actually be comfortable using Revis on the Gronk on occason

5. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

There's one guy with the physical tools to do this

Taylor Mays, I wish we had him and he could cover half as good as Revis and just stick him on Gronkowski.

He's with Cincinnati right now and could be had at the right price I'm guessing

6. The Uniform Bomber

Do you know of any specific players who play the Kat? I'd like to see them in action, as well as check out their stats.

That's my point. You'd have to teach a player like Maybin a whole new set of skills (cover skills), and even then, it's unlikely he'd be able to consistently cover someone like Jimmy Graham.

Both the necessary attributes and learning process for a new Defensive position such as this one would require grooming much earlier in the player's career, which is why I wonder if it will eventually become an official position with its own name -- not Linebacker or Safety, but something entirely new.

Eventually, more and more teams will acquire this new type of TE; the trend will continue until Defenses find an answer. Currently, there aren't really any answers because (as nyjvilma51 stated), the demands of the LB position don't allow for coverage skills; and the demands of the DB position don't allow for size/strength/physicality that's required to guard players like Gronkowski, Gates, Graham and Finley.

7. The Uniform Bomber

I would agree that the closest player to this on the Jets roster is Maybin. But, again, he's still trying to improve his LB skills; how, then, is he going to successfully learn the skills and nuances of the DB position, not to mention, suddenly possess the athletic attributes of a DB?

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I would think Maybin is already VERY close to the raw athletic attributes, but the skill would be his biggest issue.

And another problem I forsee is to be a better (ie real) pass rusher he needs to bulk up, which would make him less effective at keeping up with TEs.

9. jets fool

jets fool New Member

I would think the answer would be seing bigger safeties. Wouldn't have to worry as much about run support. Idk about inventing a new position but I could see nfl teams looking for and putting more value in big safeties. A player that comes to mind is kam chancellor but I'm not sure how good his coverage skills really are.

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

You know when he was in his junior year(i think)he was perfect, he came back for his senior year and looked like shit.....this freakin kid has every physical tool that can be given...He would be dirt cheap.

Look the more that I think about it, I could live with Hunter still if that means we pay and get the best safety out there. I think safet is more important than RT right know, watching freakin Gronk kill everyone is getting old

11. Mason

Mason New Member

Or Taylor Mays - 6'3 230 pounds, and runs a 4.3

12. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

We still have to sign Maybin for next year

13. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Banned

Didn't you just invent the position before Rex did?

14. The Uniform Bomber

Yes, the player's dimensions would probably have to be somewhere around 6'2-6'3, 230-240 lbs. Combine those with quickness, fluidity, and strength -- all of that is the athletic requirements.

Then, as I previously mentioned, this player would have to be groomed in coverage skills at a young age (e.g. high school and college) so that by the time he reaches the NFL, he already knows how to defend a TE who doubles as a WR.

15. The Uniform Bomber

Haha. Well, me theorizing about it and speaking hypothetically is much different than actually bringing it to life.

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The player's name has already been said, Taylor Mays....no one at saftey has the physical tools that this kid has....Can he pull a Maybin and pley well?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What this is aiming at is a 46 safety for the 2010's. Like the 46 safety of the 1980's but a couple of inches taller and a couple of ticks faster in the 40. Say 6'3", 225 and 4.45 40 time.

The position would play in the box and might well replace one of the inside linebackers in the 3-4, although it would have to be a safety in the 4-3.

Think a slightly bigger version of John Lynch for your best case scenario.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I go to USC. Taylor Mays is a horrendous cover safety. All he does is go for the big hit.

Great athlete, crappy football player.

19. The Uniform Bomber

That's how I envision it too.

I wonder if the position could be disposed more towards the center of the Defense (almost like a 3rd Safety) somewhere between the FS, SS, and LBs, yet favoring/tending to whichever side the TE is set?

20. nyjvilma51

nyjvilma51 New Member

Like I said earlier, that the Kat position exists...46 defenses usually have a "Big" safety in the box. However, with the speed that teams have on offense now and how wide open passing wise the league has become you don't see the big safeties and the 46 defense.

To be honest (coming from a strength coach) players like Gronk come around once in a life time. It is very difficult to match his size and speed on the defensive side and be successful. Only way I see him being "contained" is having a chip on him from a linebacker with a "Kat" like safety picking him up 5-7 yards downfield allowing for adjustments and reads to take place.

Jets have no chance of matching that with 5'7 and 5'9 safeties barely weighing 200 pounds...Bring in a safety 6'0 and 220...then we can talk.