Do you want to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform next season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jb1095, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Do you want to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform next season?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No

225 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

We are left with the same exact thing we have now....

2. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Why does voting no mean you trust Sanchez?

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It just reminds me too much of Favre. With his health being a question and the investment in Sanchez I think there's no way it will happen, and nor should it.

4. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Exactly. Except we would have no QB and we'll have to draft another one and then go through the same SHIT again for 3 years...

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't think any staff gives up on their big investment after only 3 years. It's becoming clear that it takes QBs not called Brady and Peyton a handful of seasons to become consistently productive.

6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If the Dolphags get Manning, and Brady is still a live next year I am sorry but the Jets are screwed.....we will be in 3rd place for the next few years.

7. Phear

Phear New Member

What's stunning is the fact that people seem to forget there is a salary cap. Or maybe manning wants to play for the jets so badly he's going to come here for peanuts.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

or they do something stupid like giving him a 3 year guaranteed contract which is insanely backloaded (and when Sanchez will be off the books or a lot cheaper).

9. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This. Manning isn't coming here

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting aspect of the situation, and I think when one considers how the Jets really work, will determine what the Jets do regarding Manning, Sanchez and several other roster issues.

Notice the bolded part - the key word is admission. And then the question is whether the organization is willing to admit, to own up, that it failed with Sanchez.

Perhaps RexLuvz may be suggesting that there in fact has not been any such failure, but doubts about the success of the Sanchez experiment certainly have to be on everyone's mind or they are beyond delusional.

The reality is you never have absolute certainty unless the doctors say someone can't play. Sanchez Fans support their shaky position by attempting to equate him with Qb's in the past who improved after their first three years. His detractors focus on his lack of improvement and the many more Qb's who never rose above mediocrity.

As it stands now, my view of him is that it is not impossible he might improve to the level of an adequate game manager, but will never reach elite status, and would have to be surrounded by superior talent on the OL, RB, receivers and a killer D. again, it is not impossible for the Jets to put those elements together, but it is unlikely they will within the window of Sanchez's likely time with the team.

But going back to the quoted post, does the Jet FO want to effectively acknowledge the odds are stacked against them because Sanchez has not yet developed as much as the fifth pick in the draft should have?

Knowledge of organizational dynamics holds the key. Most likely those personally involved in his draft are invested in him still, and they would be most significantly Tanny and Ryan. But what about Woody?

In other words, I think Tanny and Ryan are probably not prepared to "admit" they made a mistake on Sanchez. And if the decision is left to them, then Sanchez will stay and Manning will not come to NY.

But if Woody, not so personally invested in the decision, chooses to overrule Tanny and Ryan? Then that is what would have to happen for Manning to be a real consideration, a real possiblity, for the Jets.

At this point in answering that I don't think you can go by the Favre situation as a direct analogy, but there are some parallels, and not just that Favre and Manning have some comparables. The other thing Woody has to be thinking is what was very much a situation when Favre came to the Jets. And that was that Chad was dividing the fanbase back then. Bringing Favre gave the Jets cover to get rid of Chad. Much the same would be the case if Manning came, allowing the Jets to overcome the complaints of Sanchez Fans.

Still, I don't know if Woody has the balls to do that.

11. Big Blocker

The salary cap neither prevents or cleanly allows for the Jets to get Manning. It calls for some moves that may backfire on the team, and that is my concern.

But i have reconsidered my position of yesterday, one opposed to doing so, to a position of neutrality. For example, the Jets will need to replace Burress. Perhaps an FA signing would be much more possible if the Jets had Manning than Sanchez. And not just for wideouts, who could be appealed to with bonus targets keyed to stats much more likely to be achieved with Manning than Sanchez. Other FA's might also be more likely to sign on if Manning were with the Jets.

Manning or no, they still need an RT, probably two safeties, an OLB to replace Thomas and improve overall LB speed, Pouha needs to be resigned, Burress replaced, and probably LT replaced. Can the Jets do that and also bring in Manning?

If they can, then I say do it, but I have huge doubts they can.

But let's be clear about the alternative. Sanchez stays with a new OC in a ground and pound with little support given for developing a real downfield passing attack. a year from now, that being the case, what are the odds that we're all posting here about the great year Mark Sanchez just had?

I think pretty small.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez has improved year over year in each of the three years. What has regressed is the rest of the team around him. Given the nature of the quarterback position it's next to impossible to make great strides while everything else is declining.

It takes a very delusional poster to claim that the Jets offensive line this year was more than a shadow of what they had in 2009. That same delusional poster would claim that the Jets runningbacks this year were as good as the runningbacks in 2009. The WR's were mostly new and the one that wasn't was self-obsessed for most of the year because he had incentives to meet and those were not happening.

The same delusional poster would claim that Mark Sanchez regressed despite the 32 TD's that he produced in his third season. He would claim that even though the Jets were very good once all the field position issues that the special teams fiascos caused and the inability to run the ball consistently caused were resolved.

Once the Jets got into the red zone they functioned just fine and that was because they had a highly functional QB once the job of punching the ball in was what was at hand and fumble fingers on a return or the inability to get 2nd and 4 consistently were no longer at issue.

13. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I just have a bad feeling it won't work out.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's very possible the Jets fold on Sanchez and he goes somewhere else. If so that will likely mark the beginning of the Woody Johnson decline phase as Jet's owner. You can't throw away valuable assets and hope to win anything in a highly competitive environment.

15. Big Blocker

LMAO!!!

Nice straw man argument. No one is saying the Jets OL was top shelf, and neither was its running game.

But Sanchez's interceptions increased from 13 to 18. His YPA went down for the third straight year. Shouldn't that number have been going up? His fumbles are still too high and he lost 8 of them. And let's not forget boneheaded plays like running into the end zone for a safety, or his penchant for continuing to throw into triple coverage. Meanwhile his Qb rating only slightly improved. No real improvement in his third year as an NFL starting Qb.

The Jets improved their red zone performance primarily because of Burress.

Part of the problem with the running game is that opponent's D's do not respect the Jets' vertical passing game. They can play up more to stop the run. That's on Sanchez.

Sanchez Fans such as yourself also overstate the problems with the OL. The stats show it was above average overall. Tellingly the Jets were 22nd in Qb hits but Sanchez took too many sacks. Because he holds onto the ball too long. Sacks in the World of Sanchez Fans are entirely the fault of the OL. In the real world that is not the case.

16. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I think a non healthy Manning would still be better than Sanches.

17. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Peyton is a consummate professional, he is the antithesis of the Jets ethos. There is no way he would come here to play for Rex Ryan or this organization.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think Mario Williams would be a better use of money than Manning and Sanchez put together.

19. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

That could happen OR it could backfire on the fish and they would've mortgaged their future(what's left of it, anyway) away for a few years of a retiring HOF'er.

20. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

if Peyton is healthy then HELL YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!