We need another all-purpose running-back for this new offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Again, personally believe any monies spent (this year) would be wasted on RB's, unless some great deal presents itself. The money needs to be put where it will do the most long term good, that is the offensive line.

The phrase, "it all begins up front on both side the the ball" will never grow old in the game of football.....Everything else is plug and play behind the big fatties......

2. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

yeah, let's just pick examples from 15 years ago while i post stats from this season.

the broncos were a long time ago. shanahan hasn't done shit with the redskins running game even though he's been plugging in a random back every week. you can't pick 1 team and just say the jets don't need a rb bc the broncos didn't need one.

building the ol and picking up a rb are not mutually exclusive. you can do both. i know, it's bold thinking. i THINK we might have more than one pick in the draft this year.

but nah, according to your logic.. it's either barry sanders or rbs aren't worth having. brilliant.

wasting a "lottery pick" on a rb would be foolish but drafting VLAD DUCASSE our SUPER OLINE LOTTERY TICKET was the way to go.

fuck out of here.

3. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I think your missing the point. The Olines play directly attributes to the running back success. The bronco's reference is very relevant because they plugged in anyone they wanted and got tremendous results. If the hole is large enough to drive bus through it any running back can gash you and put up 1500+ yards in a season. If in the draft you have the opportunity to pick up a good back and it all falls right you obviously go for him , but in our case we shouldn't reach for a player that is an unknown quantity ; regardless of what he did in college.

4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Watching Gore and Hunter run makes me think that this team needs a back like that, granted Gore is always hurt but when he plays he gives his all. Can Joe fill this type of role, like Bush almost?

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Can Joe McKnight be like Gore or Hunter ?

The answer is no, absolutely not

How Bush fits into that, I also dont know

6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Bush sucked as the number 2 pick overall, he finally had a decent year running the ball under Sparano....Gore and Hunter run wbetween the tackles to and extent but can get outside and catch the ball.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was on the Hillis bandwagon 3 years ago, before Denver traded him to Cleveland. But big bangers like him end up accumulating injuries and the Jets would likely overspend to bring him in.

I would rather draft power backs and pick up the finesse backs/3DRBs in FA, unless there is a low mileage power runner that can be had for cheap in FA or via trade.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Are you watching the niners game today? Have you learned anything from their OL play? Obviously I didn't think you were capable of that but well.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If the problem is that your team never hits big in the mid to late rounds, the solution is not to draft an easily replaceable position needlessly with higher picks.

The solution is to fire your scouts and find better ones.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

There are more to that than just scouts though.

When a head coach sees a prospect, he should have a plan to get the prospect involved. That's what set Bill Walsh apart from other coaches - he knew where to employ the player, when to bring in and how to break him in. In short, he had an uncanny ability to see a clear blueprint to use the prospect when he saw one.

In Ryan's case, he didn't even get enough prospects on his hands thanks that genius of a GM. Even though that is largely the case, that still does not excuse Ryan from the lack of action between the likes of Kenrick Ellis and Kyle Wilson during their first year. I do wish Ryan gets that kind of vision when he sees a player, but for now I don't think he has that. This in turn makes the scouting department bad.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I still believe Wilson's rookie year was ruined because of Revis' holdout. He didn't get a chance to work out and watch film with him until basically the season started...at which point the time for tutelage is over. Also he flip flopped positions. At the end of the day he made some strides by season's end and had a solid 2011 season.

Ellis was a 3rd round pick from a small school...he's a bit of a project with a very high ceiling.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

On the subject at hand, if by some miracle of God Richardson falls to us I would love to see us draft him. Otherwise we shouldn't tie up cap space on bringing in another RB unless it's a low cost signing.

13. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Should have gotten Sproles

14. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

haha i don't know why you started up with the personal attacks but alright.

i never suggested we leave the oline alone. i'm not sure if you think i said it, or you're just assuming random things but it's not what i think.

what am i supposed to learn from the niners? seriously. they made it here through the strength of their run game. if you want to credit the oline, fine. obviously they were a strong unit this year. they also have an elite back in frank gore. and he's been putting up numbers for a while now.

the chiefs led the league in rushing last year in yards and attempts. this year they were 5th in attempts but 15th in yards. the main difference? jamaal charles was injured this year. plug and play works to a certain degree but that doesn't make rbs useless.

i don't think we should spend huge dollars on forte or anything like that. i just think ignoring rbs in the draft would be a mistake.

AGAIN, i am NOT saying we have a great oline and it doesn't need work. i AM saying i don't think greene is the level of talent we need to truly be a great run offense. he's not bad. but he lacks anything special.

15. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Richardson enough said. This guys a stud and possibly could fall to us at 16. Ill be praying

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

This is pretty much it. PLug and play only works to an extent. If you have an elite back, he makes up for the OL, and vice versa. The problem is, is that the pool of options that would improve our OL are very minimal. There isnt much elite talent out their that we could sign or draft (Carl Nicks is about it in FA and in the draft David DeCastro at G and Jonathan Martin at T is about it).

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Where did you find that mock draft ranking at? Everything ive seen has him going between 6-8 and possibly even sooner.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Trent Richardson is gone before the 10th pick.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say here that I agree that Greene is not good enough to be an every down back for the Jets. Not versatile enough, not durable enough. He has not been able to elevate his play enough to deserve being the featured back in a ground and pound offense.

As for the debate here between drafting and going FA to replace him, I would rather use high draft picks elsewhere. There are too many holes to fill this off season, so going FA has to be part of the answer, and RB is a good place to go FA.