We need another all-purpose running-back for this new offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of doing that, but I'd hardly call anyone on Carolina's team a "safety net". Newton was that offense this past year. Their running game was okay at best, their receivers outside of Smith were awful, and their tight ends are really nothing special. I didn't think Newton would be any good, but the guy can flat out play. Sanchez isn't in the same ballpark in my opinion.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

while drafting Richardson this year may make little sense with so many other needs, imagine for a moment if we had drafted him LAST year and now we only need a good RT and we will own the NFL rushing title for the next 7 years.

if richardson is available at 16 (which he won't be) you HAVE to take him. Sometimes you have to put the cart in front of the horse for a season to end up with a true dynatsy.

If you have 2 years worth of holes to fill, it doesn't really matter in what year you fill a hole as long as 2 years from now all holes are filled with dy-na-mite!!!!

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Terrell Davis was not even drafted in the top 3 round. (And so many high-producing RBs for that matter.)

Unless you KNOW you are getting the likes of Barry Sanders, pass on RBs.

P.S. I don't know if I am in the minority, but I am a firm believer that, investing too much and too high in draft (and salary) on RB is wasting the fuck out of your team resource. I really hate picking RBs in top 3 rounds if anything for that reason.

#63 Zach, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

1. Get some o-line through the draft and FA.
    2. Draft a blocking TE who can catch.
    3. Draft a RB. Getting one through FA is diminishing returns.

5. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I used to believe that a superstar running back is the way to go , but as the years pass and Iv watched some greats diminish and promising up and comers go now where. The strength of the Oline determines all of your running backs potential success. With a dominate line any running back from top level to budding star or even depth player can have success.:martin:

6. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

It certainly used to be that way, but over the past few years I've had trouble adjusting to the fact that you can have 2-3 guys, in some cases 4, and still be solid in the rushing game. Look at New Orleans this year. Look at Denver almost every year. Dallas lost their guy and plugged another guy in without missing a beat. The Giants have a few guys.......

While a top RB is a nice luxury to have, it certainly doesn't appear that it's worth taking a chance on one very early any longer. The league has evolved past the workhorse who gets 350 carries and 90% of the ones in every game.

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Calling Terrell Davis a mere 6th rounder is equivalent to calling Tom Brady the same thing, the Broncos got lucky with that one, he was already great and was helped by the oline

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are missing the point here. Broncos OL produced plethora of 1000+ yard rushers (they would eclipse 1500 yard marks on various occasions) INCLUDING Terrell Davis. (Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns, Tatum Bell, Mike Bell and Selvin Young. - Out of all these 1000+ yard rushers, I think only handful are good by themselves.) So what is your pick? Do you draw the lottery pick in the hopes that you find your Terrell Davis or Barry Sanders? Or do you fortify the OL and make a system so any RB off the draft can come in and have success?

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well since this team cant seem to hit on a RB between the 3rd and 5th rounds, what would you like them to do? Just keep picking a RB in the 4th til we get it right? That makes even littler sense than picking a RB in the first 2 rounds.

Im sick and tired of this team trying to strike gold in the middle rounds. We just havent shown we can do it. If an elite talent in Richardson is there at 16, how is that a waste of resources? In my eyes, using 4 middle round picks on the RB position in 3 consecutive years is a waste of resources.

I understand that you build a strong run game with an Elite line, but we dont have an Elite line and the options that we are looking at are practically nonexistent (Carl Nicks in FA or Jonathan Martin falling to 16 are about it). No one on this board can argue that Richardson cant improve our run game, because thats just not true. He would probably make the most impact out of any rookie on this team day 1.

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Peyton Hillis would be great if the market is somewhat depressed for him. We could probably get him undervalued after the year he had last year. He wants to get paid, but he'd be on good behavior for a year looking for another deal, and his running style works great with what Rex wants. I don't want to give him a big long-term deal, but I'd take a serious look at him for the right price.

I'm not in favor of overpaying for any RB. If Hillis wants too much money, I don't want him. Offensive lines make runningbacks, not the other way around. Every once in a while a good

But as a rotational RB, Hillis would be great. He'd provide another power element in the backfield. Hopefully, McKnight could stay healthy and provide a speedy third element. But I'd love for Hillis and Greene to split carries the way Greene and Jones did after Leon was injured in 2009. Sprinkle McKnight in for a play here and there.

What's good about Hillis is he's a good pass catcher, unlike Greene.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And I believe I can understand why Nick went back to the college ranks. While there is no such thing as a free agency, (you can consider transfer students as one, if you so please) and player turnover ratio is radically high, but college football is next best thing to the system in EPL or La Liga. Once you establish yourself as a powerhouse with a distinct color, you get to suck up nearly all the talent nearby that fits the system, and then some from far away places too. Since endorsements will be lining up at the door, the income structure will stay very sound as long as the program stays relevant. What is there not to like?

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I want Terrance Ganaway in the 4th or 5th (where he can still prob be had) this year. Guys a fucking monster and a helluva steal, I dont give a shit about our track record with Greene/McKnight/Powell this guys a beast

13. jemgeejets

jemgeejets New Member

We need a new running back, Greene is good but not a top 15 talent and the amount we will run the ball we need a home run hitter. Richardson would be the perfect choice in the draft as i cant see Forte and Rice leaving their respected teams

14. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I would rather have Bush over any rb in the draft, he can catch and run with power....perfect for the Jets

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're right with a couple of exceptions. If a runningback has shown that he can stand up to the pounding of the NFL over a few seasons without having his performance take a hit he is worth investing in. This is my Curtis Martin rule.

Also I think it is ok to take a runningback high in the draft if you have all the other pieces in place and he's going to get used in a way that the carries he takes put you over the top. This is the Emmitt Smith rule. The Cowboys ground him into pieces early in his career with 4 seasons of incredible overload but they got 3 Super Bowl wins out of it. He was the finishing piece for them. The Dallas dynasty declined because Emmitt Smith could no longer handle the massive workloads that he did early in his career but they got the rings before that happened.

What the Jets need to do is go get somebody who can handle a heavy workload for them next season and be a plus player at the same time. They need to do this in a way that allows them to fill other holes also.

16. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. Hillis is in the prove himself category. Between the missed time and the reports of him gaining a bit of an attitude after his success, he is in line for a 1 year deal.

Since we are going back to the power running game with sparano, I really don't see a reason not to take a flyer on him. It's low risk and high reward potential if you ask me.

17. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Way to many other concerns to worry about RB at this point. Grab another in the draft. Hopefully LT returns, if not I am still fine with what we have. If Greene had an OL this year this would not even be an issue.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I really want Peyton Hillis and i have a feeling thats the Peyton that will be on the Jets

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think Benson is just the right combination of good and cheap.

Let McKnight take over LTs role while Benson and Greene take turns pounding the ball inside and continue to develop Powell.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Im on the Peyton Hillis bandwagon too, he would be cheaper, but he is a workhorse. His catching ability is great.

With LT gone and Peyton on board, we sort of cancel things out there i think